Using dinghy wheels (or a cheap trailer?)

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Off topic, but what kayak did you end up getting?
Ended up finding a deal on a NuCanoe Flint

More than anything though, my choices were pretty limited by supply issues last year. That's not to say I'm unhappy about the Flint. It's a solid kayak. There's just a few others I would have considered if I'd had the option. I do like that they are a local company and they've been pretty easy to communicate with and helpful the couple times I dealt with them.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
This "slip-on" approach could be something to try. A couple of Harbor Freight wheels and some scraps of wood.
This could pretty easily work for my boat. I'd prefer something that would carry it right side up so I could have the motor attached. But I've actually got some wheels like those sitting around and I'm sure I have scrap wood...

TDub

Ended up finding a deal on a NuCanoe Flint

More than anything though, my choices were pretty limited by supply issues last year. That's not to say I'm unhappy about the Flint. It's a solid kayak. There's just a few others I would have considered if I'd had the option. I do like that they are a local company and they've been pretty easy to communicate with and helpful the couple times I dealt with them.
Looks pretty sweet. I was looking last year, and didn't pull the trigger on anything.

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
Ive been using those wheels on my 15' inflatable. They work great . Total wt with motor about 185 lbs. The electric and battery or outboard weigh the stern which makes maneuvering if from the bow really easy. I have a spare set of the wheels in your pic. If you decide to use wheels let me know...theyre brand new and i'll give you a deal. I wanted to use them but the mounting plate was too wide for my narrow boat and i had to use a different model.

Tinker

Coigrich
Interesting. I've done some research into the c-tug for my kayak. but haven't bought one because my homemade one just keeps chugging along. I've seen some of the complaints about the axles. But so many people love the c-tug that I couldn't figure out if those were just people who were pulling their kayaks long distances.

Not sure if these are the same wheels, but they look similar. Axles are maybe different just due to the difference in overall design design? Can't really tell.
I bought a C-Tug when my older kayak cart couldn't fit thru the smaller hatch on my newest kayak. It only took a few (short) trips to see the wear starting on plastic thing that wraps around the axles - and my kayaks aren't heavy things. Other than having to grease the axles every time I use it, the C-Tug hasn't been a problem.

Maybe Boonedox isn't using that plastic, spring-like "wrapper" on the axles on the boat wheels. I'd think that would make the set a lot more durable.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts