Trip Report My Last Day Trip on my Local River Before The Insanity Hits It

I got out on Wednesday for a one day float and it was a great day with beautiful weather and not a lot of folks down there but that will change starting the middle of next week.
The fish gods smiled on me and the river offered up fish at every stop, Some i got to see and some just kicked my butt and refused to play ball. A few on dries in the am and then it became a nymph show.

Attachments

• IMG_1595 (1).JPG
    IMG_1595 (1).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1598 (1).JPG
    IMG_1598 (1).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1599 (1).JPG
    IMG_1599 (1).JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 132

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
I’m still contemplating whether or not to head back out there in the next couple weeks. I was out there last weekend, and it was packed. What really sucks is my only opportunity will come on a weekend. I may drive out on a Friday, stay the night and fish hard the next morning before the crowds get too out of hand. Probably going to be tough to find a campsite though.

I was looking at the boaters passes sold for next week hoping for another day out and starting Wednesday (which is my only day to fish) 400 passes sold per day on the one day section, It will be a zoo down there so i am going lake fishing for the next few weeks on my fishing day.

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
I was looking at the boaters passes sold for next week hoping for another day out and starting Wednesday (which is my only day to fish) 400 passes sold per day on the one day section, It will be a zoo down there so i am going lake fishing for the next few weeks on my fishing day.
Holy smokes! 400 boat passes a day!? That’s at least 1200 people(but probably more) coming down on boats each day, plus all the bank anglers on the access road. Lake fishing sounds like a good idea.

I’ve recently found a really cool smallmouth spot really close to my house. I can skate down there in about 15 minutes, and it never has anyone there. I suppose that’s what I can turn this part of the year into, instead of going out for the salmon fly hatch.

DerekWhipple

It's going to be hard to avoid people on section one, but what I have learned fishing some 20-odd years, is that 90% of people would rather not fish before 10AM.

I'm sure this year will be different with the general increase in anglers all around, so it might be different this year.

It's going to be hard to avoid people on section one, but what I have learned fishing some 20-odd years, is that 90% of people would rather not fish before 10AM.

I'm sure this year will be different with the general increase in anglers all around, so it might be different this year.
Yes you are correct, When i was guiding and had a one day trip on section one i always wanted to get on the water early and most days it was around 10am when we saw the next boat coming down. I still like to launch early its just a nice part of the day to be on the river, hear and see the chukka and a lot more wild life

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts