Road to Chopaka

Denny W

Last fall there was a discussion about the road to Chopaka to be closed because of a sale of a number of acres just above the steep grade. Supposedly the people that bought the property were to close the road to everyone. I always thought the a state maintained road was public access. Any new news on this subject

Big Rob

I believe the fork at 48.880130, -119.690673 is the one in question. Just stay to the left and you should be good.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Supporter
The old Chopaka Grade crosses private land now. You need to stay on the road and drive past the turn up the grade and keep going. The road heads up on top of ridge then descends to the spur that goes into Chopaka. It’s at least another 1/2 hour to get in.

Earl bentley

If I remember right it is not as rough as going up the grade, but it has been along time since I went that way. I'll be there June 9 or so. Going to izzsac's ranch on the 15th. Earl

Big Rob

Ill be up there June 10-12th. Orange Colorado XT. Come say Hi.

The lower road (now across private land) crosses two creek beds. If it was open, id suggest Toyota Tacoma-like 4x4 clearance only. The back road a minivan could handle.

Big Tuna

The old Chopaka Grade crosses private land now. You need to stay on the road and drive past the turn up the grade and keep going. The road heads up on top of ridge then descends to the spur that goes into Chopaka. It’s at least another 1/2 hour to get in.
So Chopaka Grade is closed?

Gromphus

The shorter road through Double R property is only temporarily closed for grading maintenance. This is directly from the DNR team for Loomis. I spoke with them yesterday. The work is expected to be completed any day now and that route reopened. I'm not sure of the source of some of the speculation about leases and all that. Anyway if you want reliable information about the Chopaka road in the future call DNR in the Colville office. Here is the contact:
Brett Walker
Northeast Region
Natural Areas Manager
509-684-7474
[email protected]

Big Rob

Woah...great news. Definitely a shorter route. The two creek crossings made the route tough in anything less than a SUV.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
I talked with one of the local forest service fire crew last week. The main road is DNR and the ROAD is not privately OWNED. There is a lower road to Chopaka and that is on private land, and posted.
Stay on the main road that takes to WDFW / BLM campground and you will be good. Any posts near the DNR road are for the private property on either side of the road.

I just got home from Chopaka. The fishing was sporadic - good a times, slow at others. Really no consistency. The callibaetis hatch is starting but varies, especially where/when (and if) the fish are responding. Fish are nice and healthy. As you'd expect, both campgrounds were full most of the week, but with reasonable turnover so most folks could get a spot within a day or so.
The main grade was open on my way in last weekend, but was closed most of this week due to the grading work. Road around the back is fine, rough in places. Judging by how many camp trailers were in the campground, I don't think anyone had issues going in/out either way.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts