Road to Chopaka

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
The shorter road through Double R property is only temporarily closed for grading maintenance. This is directly from the DNR team for Loomis. I spoke with them yesterday. The work is expected to be completed any day now and that route reopened. I'm not sure of the source of some of the speculation about leases and all that. Anyway if you want reliable information about the Chopaka road in the future call DNR in the Colville office. Here is the contact:
Brett Walker
Northeast Region
Natural Areas Manager
509-684-7474
[email protected]
This is what I have heard also. To add on, I had a discussion with some people who said the reason for the DNR regrade project has to do with logging and not the guy who likes to claim it’s his property. Has anyone else heard this?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
No, but going up when a log truck comes, results in a pucker factor. Not fun.
Yeah that’s a situation I’m in every year when I go back to Maine. They like to haul ass too, and I’m never sure whether they can even hear me honk around corners.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Here’s the latest from my friend Dave Schorsch on Chopaka:

The news I have to share, other than there are just way too many people there, is as follows;

The powers that be are almost done with the new road that comes up through the Double R ranch that owns a lot of the land and access to the lake. This new road is to access an enormous timber sale on the back side of the hillside you look at from the campground, across the lake. In conversation with some folks in Loomis, and a local DNR employee, I was told that the trucks should start rolling in mid June. "The Chopaka grade" road was built for forest extraction, and is to be used primarily for that purpose for the next couple years.

Signs have been posted at the bottom of the hill pointing in the opposite direction to Chopaka, around the back of the mountain, south and west of the lake. I took that rout in, and can tell you it is a few miles longer, and is steep, rough, and narrow in spots. You have to keep an eye on your odometer, and watch for the hard left at the old fork in the road down to the lake.

The timber folks were laughing at how the "shits gonna hit the fan" in a couple weeks, and predicted boats, campers and subarus getting winched up off the banks of the grade once the trucks start rolling. There is also official word of tickets being written to folks that ignore the directional sign to Chopaka and the log truck warning sign. The trucks will have the right of way.

So, word to the wise, as they say. Be smart, and maybe don't take that big wide rig to Chopaka this year or next.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Jeez! It is hard to believe that so many people put up with the crowds and poor access just to reach Chopaka. I just don't understand the fascination with that place. There are over 8,000 lakes in Washington and you can't do any better than Chopaka? There are better lakes with bigger fish that are much easier to reach and less crowded. It seems like every newbie fly fisher has to earn his spurs by going up there whereas some of us old salts that were there 40 years ago wouldn't dream of going back and dealing with today's clusterf%#k.

Find your own Curtis Creek.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Supporter
Jeez! It is hard to believe that so many people put up with the crowds and poor access just to reach Chopaka. I just don't understand the fascination with that place. There are over 8,000 lakes in Washington and you can't do any better than Chopaka? There are better lakes with bigger fish that are much easier to reach and less crowded. It seems like every newbie fly fisher has to earn his spurs by going up there whereas some of us old salts that were there 40 years ago wouldn't dream of going back and dealing with today's clusterf%#k.

Find your own Curtis Creek.
Over 30 years ago, I cut my eye teeth as a fly fisherman on Chopaka. The fishing was phenomenal, everything that still water anglers seek- prolific callibaetis and damsel hatches matched with a dry. Subsurface activity with scuds, leeches and chironomids kept one busy all day.

I go back willingly and as frequently as I can (I’ll admit it) to relive my youth. Chopaka is as close as you can be to “Kamloops lakes” style of marl bottom with subsequent insect hatches.

I’m pleased that Double R has recently graded the old access. I’ll continue to use it as I belong to the old school- it’s better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. If I’m hit by a truck, thems the breaks.

I’m sorry to hear that new access across the outlet is based on timber sales. That’ll be observable from the lake- sad. But I understand the tax advantages of a property owner to cut timber. I just wish that I didn’t feel like I’m imposing traveling the “old grade”.

Lance

guy_fly

Here’s the latest from my friend Dave Schorsch on Chopaka:

The news I have to share, other than there are just way too many people there, is as follows;

The powers that be are almost done with the new road that comes up through the Double R ranch that owns a lot of the land and access to the lake. This new road is to access an enormous timber sale on the back side of the hillside you look at from the campground, across the lake. In conversation with some folks in Loomis, and a local DNR employee, I was told that the trucks should start rolling in mid June. "The Chopaka grade" road was built for forest extraction, and is to be used primarily for that purpose for the next couple years.

Signs have been posted at the bottom of the hill pointing in the opposite direction to Chopaka, around the back of the mountain, south and west of the lake. I took that rout in, and can tell you it is a few miles longer, and is steep, rough, and narrow in spots. You have to keep an eye on your odometer, and watch for the hard left at the old fork in the road down to the lake.

The timber folks were laughing at how the "shits gonna hit the fan" in a couple weeks, and predicted boats, campers and subarus getting winched up off the banks of the grade once the trucks start rolling. There is also official word of tickets being written to folks that ignore the directional sign to Chopaka and the log truck warning sign. The trucks will have the right of way.

So, word to the wise, as they say. Be smart, and maybe don't take that big wide rig to Chopaka this year or next.
Thanks for the insights!

Last edited:

Earl bentley

Ill be up there June 10-12th. Orange Colorado XT. Come say Hi.

The lower road (now across private land) crosses two creek beds. If it was open, id suggest Toyota Tacoma-like 4x4 clearance only. The back road a minivan could handle.
Just got back, a day early, hope the weather is better for you, we went from very hot to hail and rain to thunder and lightning and next a day of total white caps big wind, the a night of rain so much so we decided to leave and we were totally soaked by the time we left. No spots open so we had to go to the back and use a tent. It was very crowded. And body know about the road coming over the mountain to the shallow end of the lake? Lots of mayflies and damsels hatching at time but not rises, all the fish I caught were on a small flashback hairs ear nymph. Fishing was slow but consistant.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
So, just got pictures of the new signage and surveyor ribbon at the bottom of the grade and a warning to a friend "Road Closed!"

Just passing it along
Tight lines

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210609_153117.jpg
    IMG_20210609_153117.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 76

Sportsman

7.5 miles to the right turn to the lake. I would highly recommend paying serious attention the first 2 miles! Or play it safe and take the long way... it's a piece of cake, unless you are rescuing a member of your group who has never seen snow before!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts