Flyfishing in Wyoming

Awei27

Hi,

I'm contemplating a trip out west with the family and Wyoming is on the list of candidates. Any guidance on where might be a good locale for a family / fishing vacation? Also, any recommendations on guides / outfitters is greatly appreciated!

AW

Whitewater

Here's some general thoughts while avoiding hot spotting; all major river drainages in Wyoming have trout: Yellowstone, Snake, Bighorn, Green, Platte and others less known.

Tent campsites / RV sites in Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP will be crowded and likely booked long ago. In 2020 record numbers of people visited parks and national forests, 2 to 3 million people, most came in the summer. Predictions are for similar numbers this years.
Frankly, Grand Teton and Yellowstone are hammered by fishermen.

There are several National Forests all with fishing, camping, hiking, etc. National park websites have general fishing information specific for that park and may be different than state regulations.

It's pretty late to plan a trip for summer of 2021. If you're staying in condos, BnBs, dude ranches or motels, book soon. Chambers of Commerce in towns will have visitor information, hard copy or online.

A search on " Wyoming fly fishing" will help, as will specific rivers, float trips, towns or " fly fishing guides" and the name of a river, region.

West Yellowstone, Livingston, Jackson, Cody, Gardiner, Bozeman, and other gateway towns have good fly shops with guides and anything else you need. Montana and Idaho have great fly fishing as well.

Finally, a few more considerations; run off starts now depending on weather, elevation, snow pack and slope so rivers can be high and muddy until July.

Bear spray is a good idea.

Mosquito season can be an issue around wet meadows near streams.

Last edited:

Mems

Saratoga is one of the coolest little towns in the west. The North Platte and Encampment are great public waters. The miracle mile and Alcova are fun to fish. Cody is a cool town as well. Private water in Wyoming is outstanding but it is private. In Wyoming the land owners own everything stream bank, stream bed and even the water. If you stay away from the park you will enjoy very few people and miles of awesome trout water. The upper and lower Green are closer to you and have a healthy population of smaller bows in the upper and nice big browns in the lower. You have the opportunity to catch a cutthroat slam fishing across Wyoming. Good luck, Mems.

Mems

Thermopolis and the Bighorn is also another great little town. Hot springs like Saratoga and the Big Horn is one of the best rivers in the west to float, second only to the Green out of Dutch John. If your clothes don’t match you will look like a local in Wyoming. Swimmy would stick out like a sore thumb there.

cmann886

Thermopolis and the Bighorn is also another great little town. Hot springs like Saratoga and the Big Horn is one of the best rivers in the west to float, second only to the Green out of Dutch John. If your clothes don’t match you will look like a local in Wyoming. Swimmy would stick out like a sore thumb there.
Best trip I have ever taken was last year to Thermopolis. My Brothers and I took our Dad on the trip. At 84 one never knows if we will get another one. He had a great time as did we.

landlocked

I’m concerned about water levels in SW Wyoming this year. Not much snowpack in the winds and all indication is they’ll be holding back on the Green. Not sure about the Bighorn. But, I plan on getting the family up Thermop for a vacation. There’s really no public camping there, but plenty of mom and pop KOA type places. As far as guides, call Van Beacham at the Solitary Angler. He’s got some great private water stretches in SW Wyoming.

Swimmys got plenty of water up north!

DerekWhipple

Yellowstone has lots of fishing, and lots of things to see for non-fishing family members. Just have them drop you off in the morning somewhere in the Lamar valley, they can go see the park, and then pick you up for dinner.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter

14 Best Dude Ranches for Families

Paradise Guest Ranch – Buffalo, WY

Best Dude Ranch for: Water Activities

Come summer, it’s the child in all of us who yearns to be by water. At Paradise Guest Ranch, families can participate in an extensive fly-fishing programeither on French Creek or one of the stocked, nearby trout ponds. There’s also an onsite swimming pool.

Bar W Guest Ranch; Courtesy of Bar W Guest Ranch

Guy Gregory

You'll do fine if you wish to avoid the Yellowstone crowds (and everyone should go there) by checking out national forest camping. I had no trouble last year in August. The closer you are to Yellowstone, the more crowded, but in the Wind River drainage and elsewhere as folks have said., there's good fishing and fine, fine, public land. There ain't gonna be lots of water this year.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts