Mods, no need to lock this one.

Gyrfalcon21

I've played real golf/18 hole course, 3 times in my life. One time just happened to be with a Scottish friend on her home course, in Scotland !!

Embarrassed Old Glory pitifully.

I did need a gps and I found hidden creeks and marked most of the trees. I played about an extra 50-150 yards per hole.

Later, we visited the River Tay and I watched Greyling jumping while some real-deal spey guys were working the river for salmon. Amazing to witness.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
This camp is sick. I need to get a tee time.

DSC_2851.jpg

creekx

Director of Stoke
Not enough trees.
Beautiful! Almost put-in and took out there in the same day. The BWO hatch was so good that at 3:00pm we were still at the island downstream from the ramp, with 8 miles to go. Thought about cancelling the shuttle, but no cell coverage back then. Also would have had to Lewis-and-Clark it back upstream.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Beautiful! Almost put-in and took out there in the same day. The BWO hatch was so good that at 3:00pm we were still at the island downstream from the ramp, with 8 miles to go. Thought about cancelling the shuttle, but no cell coverage back then. Also would have had to Lewis-and-Clark it back upstream.

Ha. That's awesome.

Yeah the water right in camp is really good. I wasn't feeling too hot from my covid shot last night so didn't get after it. There has been a nice little blue wing hatch so maybe tonight I'll have some heads to throw to.

Scary thing happened yesterday, a guide dumped his boat in the "rapids" just up stream yesterday. Brand new Hyde. Guess he pinned it on a rock and immediately started taking on water. I spoke to them and everyone was rattled. They went back up with a crew yesterday evening and got the boat out. Structurally the boat looked fine but that thing was trashed. Fortunately everyone made it out ok.

creekx

Director of Stoke
Ha. That's awesome.

Yeah the water right in camp is really good. I wasn't feeling too hot from my covid shot last night so didn't get after it. There has been a nice little blue wing hatch so maybe tonight I'll have some heads to throw to.

Scary thing happened yesterday, a guide dumped his boat in the "rapids" just up stream yesterday. Brand new Hyde. Guess he pinned it on a rock and immediately started taking on water. I spoke to them and everyone was rattled. They went back up with a crew yesterday evening and got the boat out. Structurally the boat looked fine but that thing was trashed. Fortunately everyone made it out ok.
Wow! That's just not that much of a rapid, but it shows the power of current if you are pinned. There were a few times I puckered in the Ro Skiff going under the bridge, but that was a wave/freeboard issue.

Shad

Thanks again for the awesome day, @Swimmy .

Fortunately, my solo fishing was slower days 2 and 3, so I took a rare opportunity to look around a bit and enjoy just being there.

Ever get the feeling you were being watched?
20210512_171639.jpg
When I went around the back, the voyeur was revealed (sorry this one's grainy; I foolishly zoomed in).
20210512_172232.jpg
Swimmy I ain't, but I was kinda proud of this shot of the Madison Valley I got on my way back to Ennis via Virgina City.... 20210513_132930.jpg
It was a Big Sky experience, to be sure. Wildlife everywhere, doing the spring thing (lots of babies around). More fish were caught, but I didn't photograph any. Anyway, I recommend Montana AND Swimmy's Guide Service.

Shad

Nice work Shad.

That moose
TEPsaehh_o.gif
I think that's the most mellow moose in Montana. It was hanging out less than 50 yards from a busy campground, and I had no less than three dangerously close encounters with it. I should add that in each case, I was the intruder, so yeah, pretty lucky.

The first one was by far the closest and most dangerous. I stopped to talk to some guys fishing a small braid on my way to the island right behind them. Plenty of splashing around and other noises going on, so I'm not even imagining anything big hanging around. I wish the other guys luck and start working my way up the bank. I was about 40 feet upstream of their position when I took a step and heard what sounded like a horse getting up off the ground, but maybe quieter. I looked up, and no shit, 15 feet away from me, on the other side of the braid, is that moose, back end pointed at me, walking very calmly into the brush. I didn't even have time to process what was happening before the danger was over.

I (softly?) yelled at the guys below me, asking if they saw the moose. They both seemed a bit alarmed by the question and answered they had not seen it. Who knows how long that moose was laying down on that bank before I came along, but I counted myself very lucky for having seen one so close up without so much as an annoyed grunt in my direction. It disappeared into the brush before I could get a picture. I figured it had moved a considerable distance away, as most wild beasts will do after becoming aware of human presence, and I went about fishing (maybe more like flailing, trying to match a couple good hatches and failing miserably).

A little later, I saw a "tasty" looking gut out in the mainstream river, on the corner of the same island the moose had been hanging out. Being driven more by a desire to catch fish than common sense, I assumed the moose had moved well off and went to check out that gut. As I rounded the bend in the bank I established as my post for fishing the gut, I saw something out of my peripheral vision and got the "tinglies". It wasn't easy to spot at first, but there was the moose, behind the brush, casually watching me as I watched it. That was the first picture. Incidentally, I decided I had better not press my luck and fish that gut. I backed out and went looking for something else.

On my way back to the campground, I walked along the same bank, across from the island I was fully intent on leaving for that moose to enjoy as it pleased, and lo and behold, in a small clearing, within plain sight of the campground, was our moose, posing for a photo. Never moved, and never stopped watching me until I turned to leave after snapping a couple photos. As far as I know, it's still standing there....

As I was leaving the campground, I noticed the other vehicles on the road behaving erratically, pulling off the road to snap pictures, etc. I looked out into the field they all seemed to be looking at and saw another moose. They were all freaking over a sighting 100 yards away. One guy in a truck (with MT plates) waved me down to make sure I saw it. Newbs....

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
My wife drove up last night to join me for the weekend. We got out after dinner to walk the dogs and try our luck with the evening hatch.

It turned out to just be a photo shoot as those fish laughed at whatever junk I was throwing. Gonna stop in the shop and get see if I can get some tips.

Beautiful evening though.

DSC_2868(1).jpg

I got up early to catch the sunrise. This shot has potential so might try again in the morning.

DSC_2886.jpg

We are headed up river today. Gonna be mid 70's and light W. Saturdays are the best!
MsmNiWk4_o.gif

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts