Idaho Culling 90% of Wolves

tirefire

can we just farm the elk and let the hunters pay a fee to shoot them in a pen? not sure if its about the food, or the thrill of the hunt.

ive noticed a lot of the hardcore hunters in the NW love fish hatcheries....
the food is a huge part of it, and fair chase would preclude penned animals. remove the wilderness aspect from the hunt and you might as well just buy prepackaged meat.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
the food is a huge part of it, and fair chase would preclude penned animals. remove the wilderness aspect from the hunt and you might as well just buy prepackaged meat.

Yeah, that's an option! but fair chase, in-the-wild aspect of hunting is paramount to most hunters

Yeah I doubt that. Lot's of folks hunting high-fence ranches in the south have a different understanding of how things like fair-chase and "wilderness" apply to harvesting game. And I wonder what percentage of people fill their deer tags from a road or their back yard? I went turkey hunting last weekend, the people shooting them off their porches in the area made it pretty hard to decoy birds.... Or how about folks who's bird hunting experience is shooting canned roosters on private ranches? Or even state release sites? I hunt some of the release sites in eastern WA every once in a while, and I would barely describe that as fair chase. That's only a fraction of the hunting I do and usually just to help the dog work out the kinks at the beginning of the season, but I've seen and talked to plenty of people who clearly only hunt those spots, and unabashedly so. I think you're overestimating the moral compass and amount of effort most hunters are bringing to the table. Everyone watches Meateater and wants to be the cool backcountry hunter guy, but few people are actually willing to pack a deer 5 miles out of the wilderness, or chase chukar for 10 miles up and down steep hillsides. It's sad but true, at least that has been my observation.

tirefire

Yeah I doubt that. Lot's of folks hunting high-fence ranches in the south have a different understanding of how things like fair-chase and "wilderness" apply to harvesting game. And I wonder what percentage of people fill their deer tags from a road or their back yard? I went turkey hunting last weekend, the people shooting them off their porches in the area made it pretty hard to decoy birds.... Or how about folks who's bird hunting experience is shooting canned roosters on private ranches? Or even state release sites? I hunt some of the release sites in eastern WA every once in a while, and I would barely describe that as fair chase. That's only a fraction of the hunting I do and usually just to help the dog work out the kinks at the beginning of the season, but I've seen and talked to plenty of people who clearly only hunt those spots, and unabashedly so. I think you're overestimating the moral compass and amount of effort most hunters are bringing to the table. Everyone watches Meateater and wants to be the cool backcountry hunter guy, but few people are actually willing to pack a deer 5 miles out of the wilderness, or chase chukar for 10 miles up and down steep hillsides. It's sad but true, at least that has been my observation.
i guess i can only really speak for the guys i hunt with, but i hope and think you're being a little over cynical. some of the orgs i belong to like TRCP, BHA and so on have large memberships who at least verbally espouse the fair chase and i'd guess they live up to it

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
i guess i can only really speak for the guys i hunt with, but i hope and think you're being a little over cynical. some of the orgs i belong to like TRCP, BHA and so on have large memberships who at least verbally espouse the fair chase and i'd guess they live up to it

BHA has 40k members. There are over 15mil people in the U.S. holding hunting licenses, and if you count folks who fish but don't hunt then it's even higher than that. They barely represent a fraction of 1% of hunters and anglers. If you follow them on social media then you have seen that nearly everything they post is met with resistance and a slough of comments about them being green-decoy commie libs. I don't think most of the hunting community is in step with BHA's message. Most hunters live in red states, and most folks in red states don't agree with BHA's position on public lands so they aren't influencing them on the fair-chase component either. Most people who hunt want meat in their freezer and will take the path of least resistance to get there.

https://www.fws.gov/wsfrprograms/subpages/licenseinfo/Natl Hunting License Report 2021.pdf

tirefire

i have seen the green decoy stuff. there's even a website which details the info behind the accusations against BHA and some others.

All i know for sure is that the hunters i know personally like to work for the game they harvest. it's 95% of the fun to do the scouting, exploring, planning, hiking and then fill the freezer (or sometimes not). knowing the calories you get from the meat were because you worked for it is why they hunt. i'd guess that most hunters feel that way or they'd quit hunting

Rob Allen

Elwha River.

Gray whales.

Bald eagles.
And each one of those was a simple solution
One line item restoration

Whales we stopped the harvest
Eagles we got rid if DDT
Elwha. We removed dams

Also the Elwha is very far from a restoration success..

Restoring elk habitat. Involves telling thousands of landowners what they can or cannot do with their private land. Maybe even taking their land away from them.

In some locations getting rid of wild horses will be necessary and some areas it might require removing predators, revoking grazing rights. The list goes on and on..

You brought up Gray Whales.. all we did to restore them was remove predators.. you do realize that is all Idaho is planning to do...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts