Idaho Culling 90% of Wolves

girlfisher

Poisoning, snaring, and trapping are abhorrent, but a well placed high velocity round perfectly fine. So you ok dragging fish around by their jaws, in pain, subjecting the to oxygen deprivation, and high lactic acid, only to release them, but placing a round through a wolf's vitals killing it instantly is horrible death?
Like you, I release fish as quickly as possible and rarely if ever touch anything but the hook. Statistically speaking about 4% of fish die and I suspect that comes from over play or mishandling of fish. The wolves that were poisoned, snared, or trapped represented a much larger percent mortality rate than 4%.

The oxygen deprivation and high lactic acid you remark on can be greatly reduced with proper release, proper handling, and doing so in temperatures below 65 degreesF.

Long-distance releases are my favorite and If I could press a button that would straighten out the hook after I got a glimpse of the fish I would. The pain that fish actually endure is still a debatable topic. Jacques Cousteau called people who practiced catch and release, sadistic. Those words do stick with me as do yours as I am sometimes painfully reminded.

The point of my post was to show the torture and suffering that these animals have endured to the point of near extinction.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Jacques Cousteau called people who practiced catch and release, sadistic. Those words do stick with me as do yours as I am sometimes painfully reminded.
Yeah, I have struggled with his words for a long time. In a week, I'll be fishing for springers, one and done for the day. Sometimes I feel better about that than I do trying to sore mouth every fish on the river with flies.

Zak

WFF Supporter
Poisoning, snaring, and trapping are abhorrent, but a well placed high velocity round perfectly fine. So you ok dragging fish around by their jaws, in pain, subjecting the to oxygen deprivation, and high lactic acid, only to release them, but placing a round through a wolf's vitals killing it instantly is horrible death?
Yeah, but, see, I enjoy tormenting the trout.

roadglideguy

I'd love to see the expression on your face as wolves drag down and brutally kill a horse. I've seen what it looks like with elk, and I wouldn't want to watch a horse face the same date.
What does one have to do with the other? Good reason to cull the wolves right? BTW a predator never kills anything "nicely"... hard to do without thumbs. I have seen what a Chevy or Ford can do to an Elk...you really have to come up with something better than that...

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
It ain't pretty, certainly not the way I would want to go. Just the noise of it is enough to turn you stomach, but that's nature in all its glory :eek:.
No, that's the gory, unforeseen result of mankind tinkering with nature. What's next - cloning & reintroducing Short-Faced Bears, Dire Wolves, Saber-Toothed Tigers & Mastodons? After all, those were here once too . . .

Rob Allen

One of the coolest things I ever saw was 3-wolves take down 2-elk at Gibbon Meadows in YNP shortly after their reintroduction. I love that wolves are part of the "wilderness" again, but I also love harvestable amounts of elk and deer. The way we have altered the landscape, especially the in terms of the substantial loss of winter range, makes it necessary to manage both predator and prey.
Aside from the hyperventilating eco news, if you look at the legislation, Idaho is looking at reducing the number of wolves to the number that was agreed upon back in the 90s. I can guarantee that Idaho is not looking to drop the number of wolves below the ESA level where the Feds get involved.
I hear a lot of people say that the Yellowstone elk population is healthier subsequent to the wolf reintroduction, and that may be, but there are far fewer elk, and the abundant elk population wasn't starving prior to wolves.

I think this is an important point..

We don't have the same ecosystem we did 100. Or even 50 years ago. We need to manage for what we have now not what we had back then.
Like it or not we are going to continue to lose habitat for wild animals and there is nothing any of us can do about it. People want to move to beautiful places and that is going to liquidate habitat. We need our management to reflect that.

adamcu280

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I'd love to see the expression on your face as wolves drag down and brutally kill a horse.
After considerable thought about this comment I have come to the conclusion that it's just another excuse to feast your eyes on my rugged good looks.
Here's a freebie:
WW01r.jpg

As for the expression this awesome face will have as one group of wild animals kills another wild animal, I can guarantee that it will be nothing like the time I shot a 3" nail through my thumb, or into my foot, or calf, or had my hand slip on the table saw. Or the time I slid down a mountain several hundred feet in a rock slide. Then there was the time I rode in the cavity of an Elk carcass to hold the back legs upright so they wouldn't catch on stuff as my dad pulled it back to camp with the trail machine. That idea didn't really work all that well and mom was more than just a little upset with all the blood on my clothes. Then there was the time I went over the handle bars of said trail machine. You should have seen my face the time I was shot at, it was a real classic! And then there's all those things from my drinking days...

I'm a little more careful these days but I did get a nasty cut on my hand pulling off some laminate counter top the other day.

I'm not sure if all these things will get me included in the "you people" group or not. But I think it would be okay to just leave my face out of it.

girlfisher

Debating seems to be coming to an end, soooo - here is a choice:

Or, you can contact the Idaho Gov. and say "right on, brother".

I am going to disagree with dustin because I personally learn from most debates. All views respected here.

Rob Allen

Here's a one-pager that explains why this mindset is a bad idea and will only result in a downward spiral to a world where nothing is left.

Like I said.. it's happening whether we like it or not.. it's happening regardless what experts say about it.

All of the current solutions are intolerable to society. Rich people want to like in elk habitat and they are going to spend the money to get there regardless what anyone thinks says or does.. Hell ,I want to live in elk habitat.

We need fish and wildlife managers willing to think outside the box because regulating human behavior almost never works and always breeds resentment.

adamcu280

Like I said.. it's happening whether we like it or not.. it's happening regardless what experts say about it.

All of the current solutions are intolerable to society. Rich people want to like in elk habitat and they are going to spend the money to get there regardless what anyone thinks says or does.. Hell ,I want to live in elk habitat.

We need fish and wildlife managers willing to think outside the box because regulating human behavior almost never works and always breeds resentment.
Sounds like you've given up on any sort of actual management then? Just FKNA let 'er rip until the last salmon/orca/wolf/tree/elk/wild place/wild animal is destroyed? No reason to try things like restoring the Elwha or setting aside wildlife refuges or protected areas. Just scrap the ESA. Race to the bottom! But hey, you'll live in what was elk habitat.

The society that you are resigned to doesn't necessarily have to be.

If that one-pager was too much, maybe re-read the Lorax.

Last edited:

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Debating seems to be coming to an end, soooo - here is a choice:

Or, you can contact the Idaho Gov. and say "right on, brother".

I am going to disagree with dustin because I personally learn from most debates. All views respected here.
That was created by someone without a clue. Zero data. Zero facts. It doesn't even mention how many cull tags it's protesting. Or where the elk crop damage is occurring. It is poorly written and clearly done by an emotional anti-hunter. That gibberish should not be circulated.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info