Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Idaho Culling 90% of Wolves

12K views 224 replies 53 participants last post by  Edgy and Hip 
#1 ·
#159 ·
Washington is so fucked when it comes to fish and wildlife, but the residents of such feel an self important need to cast judgements on the residents of Idaho. Fix your own shit before you worry about what's going on in Idaho. Get your own 1500 wolves and manage them yourselves. Pretty sure the level of ungulates in Washington couldn't sustain 1500 wolves. Oh, and your orcas need Idaho salmon, what's wrong with Wenatchee, Yakima, or methow salmon?

#177 ·
i have seen the green decoy stuff. there's even a website which details the info behind the accusations against BHA and some others.

All i know for sure is that the hunters i know personally like to work for the game they harvest. it's 95% of the fun to do the scouting, exploring, planning, hiking and then fill the freezer (or sometimes not). knowing the calories you get from the meat were because you worked for it is why they hunt. i'd guess that most hunters feel that way or they'd quit hunting

#184 ·
and if it really a concern for elk populations, the research in Yellowstone is crystal clear. wolves will target old, sick or infirm elk. healthy mature elk are not targeted by wolves but they will also look for calves in season. the excused in ID are pure unadulterated BS. but as i said before, what did you expect from those in ID?? logic and truth don't exist in that state.

#194 ·
This stew needs more seasoning...

The "leave the animals alone and nature will find it's own balance" is at it's core an Anti-Hunting argument and by now, it should be recognized as such. Admittedly it sounds pretty good plus there is enough cherry-pickable science that our society had to try it. When the idea of reintroduction was first announced I liked it too.

On the other hand, wolf reintroduction was 26 years ago, the situation is getting worse and continues to spiral downward. Also, if the reintroduction wasn't backed by a seemingly unending supply of Federal dollars it wouldn't have persisted this long.

All this "natural balance" is freaking expensive!

#197 ·
We're arguing on the internet...about wolves. Personally, I thank God that God is probably not paying attention ;)

If it somehow isn't fun and entertaining I'd advise doing something a little more productive with your time, like cutting your lawn with a pair of scissors, although on the "actually getting something done" scale cutting the grass with scissors is way more productive than this.

#200 ·
This podcast isn't about wolves exactly, but orcas are known as "wolves of the sea". ;)

A few of the topics are totally relevant to this discussion. Specifically episode 6, where Dr. Peter Ross talks all about toxins, and episode 7, where Lynda Mapes talks about the complexity of the Elwha dam removal process and the subsequent benefits to the ecosystem, including human benefits.

#208 ·
Idk I feel like it's valid to group the two words in this context. I see what you are saying, but I think especially when looking at changes that can have ecosystem-wide effects, they only feel like a simple, as in one-step solution, if you divorce them from all the surrounding context of how the decision is made. Using the word simple to describe them could be true in a material sense like a couple of seals are euthanized but in terms of what actually had to be done to kill them, by like going through the EPA and stuff it's not.

#209 ·
This is an interesting paper that describes how Idaho has probably viewed all the science that's been thrown at them the last couple decades:

It's a short paper but here's a quote from the first paragraph:

Fraudulent papers were written with significantly higher levels of linguistic obfuscation, including lower readability and higher rates of jargon...We also observed a positive association between obfuscation and the number of references per paper, suggesting that fraudulent authors obfuscate their reports to mask their deception by making them more costly to analyze and evaluate.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it will be interesting to see how this works out. Idaho will go their direction and the states surrounding them will maintain the status quo. Then we can see how it plays out. It will be a Comparative Experiment; very scientific.

#210 ·
This is an interesting paper that describes how Idaho has probably viewed all the science that's been thrown at them the last couple decades:

It's a short paper but here's a quote from the first paragraph:

Fraudulent papers were written with significantly higher levels of linguistic obfuscation, including lower readability and higher rates of jargon...We also observed a positive association between obfuscation and the number of references per paper, suggesting that fraudulent authors obfuscate their reports to mask their deception by making them more costly to analyze and evaluate.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it will be interesting to see how this works out. Idaho will go their direction and the states surrounding them will maintain the status quo. Then we can see how it plays out. It will be a Comparative Experiment; very scientific.
Are you suggesting that "Idaho has probably viewed all the science that's been thrown at them the last couple decades" as fraudulent due to higher levels of linguistic obfuscation?

The other side of that would be that, instead of everything being fraudulent, Idaho doesn't understand what they're reading.

#218 ·
I only mean to point out that there aren't many organizations that benefit from having people in them that don't believe in the power of that organization to provide value. Nobody needs a PETA die-hard holding down a gig at a butcher shop.
I'm so writing the screenplay for a PETA guy who works at a butcher shop. His father is a butcher. He is constantly fending off his mother's blind date matchmaking then being consistenty berated by his father for being vegan. It's a dark comedy.

#223 · (Edited)
OK DC, get off that Vegan dating site and lets get back to the subject at hand ;)

My phone newsfeed just laid down the depressing news that beef prices this summer will be some of the highest ever. I checked out a couple articles and the one below has the basic info with the least amount of annoying subscription pop ups and such:

https://www.thecattlesite.com/news/...-rising-on-strongerthannormal-seasonal-demand

And one from Australia, for some balance:

All other moral judgements and pseudo science aside, in terms of keeping it's economy alive, Idaho just did the right thing at exactly the right time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.