Where to Start With Fly Fishing Equipment

IHFISH

Premium
The best SRC I caught this spring jumped behind me before I hooked it and I was at most wading knee deep at the time.

I like improving my casting distance and continue to work on it, but I don't stress out about it nearly as much as I used to.

Old Man

A very Old Man
If I had to list everything that I have or need I would just give it all up. I'm happy with my 7'9" 3wt. I don't wade anymore and I don't bust through the bushes anymore. But I'm going to take a folding chair along for some place to sit and fish. Plus you don't need all that shit listed. But you will probably acquire it all over time.

jaredoconnor

Premium
Plus you don't need all that shit listed. But you will probably acquire it all over time.

That's why I wrote the list roughly in order of necessity and said you only need the stuff up to waders (ie. not even including waders, if you can wet wade).

There are things on the list that are debatable. This is just all based on my opinion. Eg. I tell everyone to wear felt boots, for safety.

Last edited:

IHFISH

Premium
Or tenkara!
No joke. I fished the large popular river with a hatchery SRC run a couple times last fall and the second time the water was up a bit and had pushed the fish into a large flat area of soft water. I was fishing the top of the run with a single hand 6wt, a tenkara guy was working the middle with 20-30 foot casts, and a guy was spey casting at the bottom. The tenkara guy caught the most fish (but a heron pulled one out of his creel at one point).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts