Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

College Football 2021

NFR 
51K views 1K replies 75 participants last post by  Sportsman 
#1 ·
#448 ·
Saturday football? :rolleyes: Off to a strange start. With a late breakfast I decided to check today's games before I head outside to continue winterizing. Scanning the menu I saw that Michigan State was playing Indiana and since my dad went to MSU I thought I would watch a few minutes of it while I ate. To my dismay Brock Huard was motor mouthing by over analyzing every play in strict footballese jargon most of which is unintelligible to the average viewer. About 90 seconds of that before I switched to another game.

Just as the other game became visible the quarterback completed a simple little 11 yard pass on the right side-the kind of pass that will be thrown hundreds of times during today's games and is as much a staple in football as salt and pepper is the kitchen. But the genius color commentator couldn't leave it alone. Instead he opted for: .....the receiver ran a little conversion curl route to the inside..."

I couldn't take any more, I put on my work gloves and went to the barn. I'll try the Dodger game tonight, I don't think Joe Buck will be on....

#458 ·
It may be " Go Find A New Coach Cougs" on Monday. But, U-Dump is prob in that same mode, vaxx or not.

Swimmy, you need to get a black and red raft with an inflatable bulldog head for a front casting brace. Show some school pride man!!!

#463 ·
Stanford is a well coached team, and its amazing how good of a passing game they have with a bunch of smart slow average athletes.... right? :rolleyes: Reminds me of the BYU teams of the late 70's and 80's. Just smart simple fundamental football principles being used to defeat the modern flash super fast athletes of today!!!!!

#466 ·
Yeah, it's official. The downward spiral of WSU coaches continues. It is hard to believe that Mike Leach now makes 5 mil per year. How many brilliant college students could you graduate in a year for 5 mil? The coaching system in this country is as fucked up as the CEO system where CEO's can make over 350X more than their workers. College has become about football, not education, the tail is wagging the dog.

#472 · (Edited)
The idea the football coach on (any/most) campus thinking he can stand up and be the biggest dog does not surprise me at all. "Can't push me around !" One reason I never played football. Out of control ego testosterone in our small town coaching staff is my personal example, and I know it is not an isolated case.

I recall the first day of PE class as a 12 year-old 7th grader. Our school was grades 7-12. The head football coach a-hole was our teacher. First day, remember. He had a big chew in his lip, swore freely right along the lines of Gruden, then took a giant wooden hack paddle and destroyed a metal stand up locker in some show of rage/act/folly. Not sure.

Yeah, really impressive work. Got shit-canned the next year after 15 years at the school. Replaced by another jerk.

#475 ·
The idea the football coach on (any/most) campus thinking he can stand up and be the biggest dog does not surprise me at all. "Can't push me around !" One reason I never played football. Out of control ego testosterone in our small town coaching staff is my personal example, and I know it is not an isolated case.

I recall the first day of PE class as a 12 year-old 7th grader. Our school was grades 7-12. The head football coach a-hole was our teacher. First day, remember. He had a big chew in his lip, swore freely right along the lines of Gruden, then took a giant wooden hack paddle and destroyed a metal stand up locker in some show of rage/act/folly. Not sure.

Yeah, really impressive work. Got shit-canned the next year after 15 years at the school.
I remember when Joe Paterno was under pressure to resign from Penn State, saying something that amounted to "I'll leave when I am good and ready." I want to be clear that I am not quoting him, but to me it just reeked of arrogance and don't tell me what to do, I'll tell you what to do.

#477 ·
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...strange days indeed. John Lennon.

I'm sure I'll take some criticism for what I'm about to write but oh well. I'm sure folks will rationalize it to suite their beliefs but whatever. I'm not advocating one way or the other but it seems to me our societal values are changing, some for the better and some for the worse in my opinion. As I've witnessed the events transpiring over the last 18 months or so, I just shake my head at some of the things I'm seeing. For this example, I'll stick with the WSU coach since this is a college football thread.

I tend to steer clear of issues like this and I may be way off; if so, I'm sure someone will correct me. My body, my choice. Isn't that a common phrase amongst pro-choice advocates when it comes to abortion rights? I find it somewhat ironic that the state government can fire an employee for not getting vaccinated in the name of safety when there is a very high survival rate if contracting the disease. I don't know what the current mortality rate is but isn't it hovering around 1%? The mortality rate for abortions must be in the neighborhood of 100%. But in the case of the WSU coach, the phrase my body, my choice argument doesn't work on his behalf.

I'd like to see the results of a poll of people who are pro choice with the my body, my choice mentality but but are in favor of firing employees for non-vaccination compliance when statistically speaking, the survival rates for their respective cause is the exact opposite.

I'm sure someone more eloquent in writing than I can clear it up for me. Or is it a simple apples vs. oranges thing?

#479 ·
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...strange days indeed. John Lennon.

I'm sure I'll take some criticism for what I'm about to write but oh well. I'm sure folks will rationalize it to suite their beliefs but whatever. I'm not advocating one way or the other but it seems to me our societal values are changing, some for the better and some for the worse in my opinion. As I've witnessed the events transpiring over the last 18 months or so, I just shake my head at some of the things I'm seeing. For this example, I'll stick with the WSU coach since this is a college football thread.

I tend to steer clear of issues like this and I may be way off; if so, I'm sure someone will correct me. My body, my choice. Isn't that a common phrase amongst pro-choice advocates when it comes to abortion rights? I find it somewhat ironic that the state government can fire an employee for not getting vaccinated in the name of safety when there is a very high survival rate if contracting the disease. I don't know what the current mortality rate is but isn't it hovering around 1%? The mortality rate for abortions must be in the neighborhood of 100%. But in the case of the WSU coach, the phrase my body, my choice argument doesn't work on his behalf.

I'd like to see the results of a poll of people who are pro choice with the my body, my choice mentality but but are in favor of firing employees for non-vaccination compliance when statistically speaking, the survival rates for their respective cause is the exact opposite.

I'm sure someone more eloquent in writing than I can clear it up for me. Or is it a simple apples vs. oranges thing?
In hopes of not derailing a good CFB thread I'll just say this: It's not just his body that is affected by not getting vaccinated. It's an airborne pathogen. He puts anybody he comes in close contact with at risk.
Your argument is akin to saying drunk driving is a my body my choice issue as well.

Now, as a Cal guy, I say FU Stanford!

#478 ·
My last 2 cents. Many/most jobs have certain hard/no exception requirements and rules. Keith Richards could not pass the pee test to work at WSU. If you let the coach pass on the state employee mandate then you have to throw it all out.

Requirements are important. Pilots and surgeons surely get no complaints from anyone about strict requirements set forth for them.

#480 · (Edited)
@BDD no complaints from me - for sure. It is hard to make choices between the choices being offered. It is one thing for a personal choice of whether to or not to. But when it comes to a personal choice vs safety of others and those around you there that you are responsible for there are less choices.

Like it or not it comes with the territory and job.

BTW not touching the abortion. issue.

#495 ·
Except we know now for a fact that is it not about personal safely. It's just politics and control. The DOD, and their AI supercomputer released their results about a week ago. You now have twice the chance of getting Covid if you are fully vaccinated, as if you don't. And whatever you do, if you're a young man between the ages of 15 and 35, don't get the booster shot.

I hate the way you guys always covertly make these threads political. Talking about safety and intelligence. You're just a bunch of Fauci lemmings if you ask me. At least have the courage to just say, I hate you, and I'm going to make you take the shot, even though we've always known it's the wrong thing. You should just have the balls to say that you care more about political control than the actual health and welfare of your fellow man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.