Thoroughly Depressing

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Went for a hike with the pups. This lake (a giant spring, not a reservoir), is way below normal and has no outflow (second year now). This normally serves as the headwaters of a rather famous CO river.

72915244-7F7E-44DC-9D22-27C3B23EC367_1_105_c.jpeg

In fact, the flow is in the wrong direction, into the lake:

F156A2A2-CCED-4C7B-8D11-3E20EB8B73B5_1_105_c.jpeg

This stream bed should be full:

4B171D5A-1522-45C4-81F4-A79D56CF8F5D_1_105_c.jpeg

The further downstream, a fellow fishing who shouldn't be (stream opens 22 May):

16A823E6-663B-4484-BA43-6688342A52EF_1_105_c.jpeg

I politely told him he was fishing closed waters, he said he was unaware, but respected the "seasons". Wanted to say, well, if you respected them you would know the regs, but I held my tongue. He also stated he didn't see a sign (its bright yellow on a small bridge he would have crossed. Not sure I bought his story.

My Royals have lost 12 (yes 12) in a row!!!!

Bought the wife some half and half, as she requested - what's with the "Fat Free" half and half - by definition 1/2 is supposed to be FAT!!!!

But on the bright side, I get Pfizer #2 tomorrow :).

cheers

troutstalker

Fish or Die
I'm sorry to hear about the lake and the lack of the stream. That's sad. Thank you though for letting the fisherman know that fishing was closed and even in a tactful manner. That's nice that you were able to get outside though with the pups.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Went for a hike with the pups. This lake (a giant spring, not a reservoir), is way below normal and has no outflow (second year now). This normally serves as the headwaters of a rather famous CO river.

View attachment 281759

In fact, the flow is in the wrong direction, into the lake:

View attachment 281760

This stream bed should be full:

View attachment 281761

The further downstream, a fellow fishing who shouldn't be (stream opens 22 May):

View attachment 281762

I politely told him he was fishing closed waters, he said he was unaware, but respected the "seasons". Wanted to say, well, if you respected them you would know the regs, but I held my tongue. He also stated he didn't see a sign (its bright yellow on a small bridge he would have crossed. Not sure I bought his story.

My Royals have lost 12 (yes 12) in a row!!!!

Bought the wife some half and half, as she requested - what's with the "Fat Free" half and half - by definition 1/2 is supposed to be FAT!!!!

But on the bright side, I get Pfizer #2 tomorrow :).

cheers

sad about the levels, happy about #2 (that sounds weird)

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I think this thread is a perfect example of how different folks are.

If I had started it, it would've gone like this:

"Had a kickass hike today. Killer weather, fresh air, beautiful scenery! I also got to educate a guy on current fishing regs. We had a nice chat. Oh and crazy that water levels are low. Hopefully we get a better snow year next year!"

Some folks just see the negative in everything. Thoroughly depressing.

Guess I'm just more of a thoroughly optimistic kind of guy.
iWv7I1bp_o.gif

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I think this thread is a perfect example of how different folks are.

If I had started it, it would've gone like this:

"Had a kickass hike today. Killer weather, fresh air, beautiful scenery! I also got to educate a guy on current fishing regs. We had a nice chat. Oh and crazy that water levels are low. Hopefully we get a better snow year next year!"

Some folks just see the negative in everything. Thoroughly depressing.

Guess I'm just more of a thoroughly optimistic kind of guy.
iWv7I1bp_o.gif

Yeah, but what about the Royals? The half and half? (I was quite obviously part tongue cheek.)

We all know you live a charmed life of leisure that you show off at every opportunity, but I've seen posts from you that are less than optimistic about folks who have less than you.)

This is 2 years without outflow - downstream the undercut banks are collapsing, the number of redds is down, water temperatures are up. I'm concerned for the future of this stream, it has been diminishing for at least a half dozen years, not just this year. So nice shot big fella.

cheers

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
You are new around here so I'll cut you some slack. To say I have a charmed life of leisure is almost an insult. I'm way cooler than that.

I completely reject that I'm less optimistic about folks who have less than me. I'm not even sure what that means.

I will give you the Royals. That sucks. Braves are 17-20 but only 4 games back.

dbaken

Not sure what the point is with the back and forth - viewpoints differ and you can have a really nice hike and still find aspects depressing, that doesn't seem especially controversial, I hope.

For me, the low water levels in CO the past 4 years or so is thoroughly depressing. It will impact the area, especially the fishing, for years to come. Davis will go down to a river channel this year (though it sounds like folks are slaying the ditch pickles with the lower water, maybe a serious dent can finally be put in their population, so there is the optimistic side). Same with at least one other lake. It will impact the (missing) river in the picture, where a lot of native and wild fish spawn in the upper sections. But even though the catching is going to really go downhill for at least a few years in my favorite spots, I'll still enjoying getting out and fishing in CO.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Or half and half, which, by law, should not be allowed to be FAT FREEE!!!
I’ve accidentally picked that up for my better half before too. The labels are deceptively similar. It should be bright orange and have a skull and crossbones or Mr. Yuck on it or something.

I, of course, drink my coffee black.
Home roasted.
Usually an Aeropress.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Bummer that Sparks is that low in mid-May

Haven't seen Sparks yet, rod still closed and snowbound, but I suspect it will be very low, Hosmer too - Hosmer is fairly rapidly losing surface area to grasses. Wickiup is already half empty, and irrigation season is less than a month in.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.18.38 AM.png

So yeah, things look pretty grim, even for the optimistic chap that I am.

Cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts