Thoroughly Depressing

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
So yeah, things look pretty grim, even for the optimistic chap that I am.

You only have 9 years until the end of the planet. Just enjoy it while you can.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I think this thread is a perfect example of how different folks are.

If I had started it, it would've gone like this:
You are new around here so I'll cut you some slack.

I like a lot of what you post here because it often cracks me up, but man, just jumping in with these two on this thread are two of the more douchey posts I've seen you throw up given the context of this thread and while it's sometimes tough to get the tone via written text, but this comes through loud and clear.

I guess you're pretty new here, so I'll cut you some slack.

and yes, I recognize the irony here...that's the point.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I like a lot of what you post here because it often cracks me up, but man, just jumping in with these two on this thread are two of the more douchey posts I've seen you throw up

Could not agree more
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

L8VPdFIT_o.gif

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I like a lot of what you post here because it often cracks me up, but man, just jumping in with these two on this thread are two of the more douchey posts I've seen you throw up given the context of this thread and while it's sometimes tough to get the tone via written text, but this comes through loud and clear.

I guess you're pretty new here, so I'll cut you some slack.

and yes, I recognize the irony here...that's the point.

Cut him some slack, he's a MAN S'plainer :D

cheers

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Haven't seen Sparks yet, rod still closed and snowbound, but I suspect it will be very low, Hosmer too - Hosmer is fairly rapidly losing surface area to grasses. Wickiup is already half empty, and irrigation season is less than a month in.

View attachment 281809

So yeah, things look pretty grim, even for the optimistic chap that I am.

Cheers
The lake losing area to grass is meaning that the lake is close to dying. Lakes are like us humans. We are born, live a good life and then slowly die.

I read some place that a lake being taken over by grass is a sign of the lake dying and drying up.
I think I got that info from Northwest Trek. I went there one time in the summer. Read one of the hand outs.

Seabull

This is my new home and it is depressing. It can be both a beautiful hike and super upsetting to see the state of natural resources. It will always puzzle me how environment resources continue to be politized. We all benefit from a healthy and thriving earth – literally, everyone.

We also all curate what we want people to see in our posts. There is a significant point to why Canuck posted this in this manner. To overlook this is a choice. I am certainly more aware of the degradation of this lake because of him, and now I can use this to inform a couple courses of action.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I need a new map, and we need to go treasure hunting.

No need for a new map, Mel W. is correct, Little Lava lake is consider the headwaters and source of the Deschutes River.

"Water in Little Lava Lake is supplied by subsurface springs and, on occasion, there is surface flow from Lava Lake through an open channel. Outflow is into the Deschutes River, and the lake is generally considered the source of this famous Oregon stream."

Thankfully, there are springs further downstream that are currently feeding the stream, but not at the usual flow. As Little Lava is not being kept full by the springs that feed it, the downstream springs, fed by the same source (MT Bachelor, South Sisters snowpack), will similarly not keep up for the Deschutes.

Cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts