Abel reels - shout out to service

Ballocks

I've got blisters on me fingers.
WFF Supporter
One of my Abel pt.5 reels had been getting a bit stiff. Then spool would not come off the spindle. Then it got a bit of a grind. $40 and postage to send it in to Abel. I had been biting my nails, waiting for the call that it was going to cost quite a bit more to be fixed as I was not the original owner.

Received it back today fully serviced, cleaned, bearings replaced. And some very pleasant extra's thrown in that were not expected. Exceeded my expectations 10x.

I have bought very few new reels, but can guarantee my wife is getting a new Abel for Christmas. I may have to get one too. High quality, US made, and outstanding service long after the sale - that's something I can support.

Saltycutthroat

You’ve got to love good customer/warranty service. I don’t own any of their reels, but I enjoy hearing about companies like this. Maybe I’ll give them a try on my next setup. Thanks for the post.

MT_Flyfisher

I’ve owned Abel reels for nearly as long as they’ve been in business, and use one for 95% of my fishing.

I can’t, however, say anything positive about their service department. Because, I‘ve never needed to send one in for repair. (Except for one time about 30 years ago when the adhesive on the cork drag on an Abel Big Game 1 came loose.)

I can say that the reels themselves also give outstanding service. (I love Abel Pt. 5‘s too.)

Ballocks

WFF Supporter
I’ve owned Abel reels for nearly as long as they’ve been in business, and use one for 95% of my fishing.

I can’t, however, say anything positive about their service department. Because, I‘ve never needed to send one in for repair. (Except for one time about 30 years ago when the adhesive on the cork drag on an Abel Big Game 1 came loose.)

I can say that the reels themselves also give outstanding service. (I love Abel Pt. 5‘s too.)
That's partly what surprised me. It takes something special to break one. I have one Abel that I have fished, and fished, and fished, no trouble. I bought a couple used, one must have had some corrosion (salt?) that f'd up the bearing. Fully expected to cover more than $40 from which they also included 2nd day shipping back, plus some other surprises. Exceeded expectations.

Fully expect to hand down some nice Abel's to my kids someday.

MT_Flyfisher

That's partly what surprised me. It takes something special to break one. I have one Abel that I have fished, and fished, and fished, no trouble. I bought a couple used, one must have had some corrosion (salt?) that f'd up the bearing. Fully expected to cover more than $40 from which they also included 2nd day shipping back, plus some other surprises. Exceeded expectations.

Fully expect to hand down some nice Abel's to my kids someday.
I live in PA and do all of my fishing in fresh water, including a lot in MT, ID, and WY. The cork drags on my older Abel’s still look fresh as new. However I bought a couple different Pt. 5‘s from people on this board 2 years ago that were in excellent condition overall, but their cork drags were nearly black. I don’t know if those reels would have ever been fished in the salt, but surmised that maybe something like that, or even salt in the air, had something to do with it. I don’t know.

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
I have 11 of their reels and none have ever been back to the shop for repair. I did have a reel foot that didn’t fit into my Scott but they sent me another one for free. I like to buy quality stuff so I don’t have to deal with problems. Now….my Galvan is In the shop now but I have all the confidence that was just a minor/freak problem.

Ballocks

WFF Supporter
I live in PA and do all of my fishing in fresh water, including a lot in MT, ID, and WY. The cork drags on my older Abel’s still look fresh as new. However I bought a couple different Pt. 5‘s from people on this board 2 years ago that were in excellent condition overall, but their cork drags were nearly black. I don’t know if those reels would have ever been fished in the salt, but surmised that maybe something like that, or even salt in the air, had something to do with it. I don’t know.
Abel sent a sheet recommending alcohol and a brush to get the black off, then lubricate.

Bagman

Sounds like someone used Tibor lube on the cork which has graphite in it. Able calls for Neatsfoot oil.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts