Fly pulls to the right

Seapig

I tied up some Murdoch Minnows recently. I noticed that, when stripping in, the fly has a distinct pull to the right. Is there anything I should be doing to eliminate this pull?

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Interesting, but is this a problem, I would think it would imitate an injured critter, pulling abnormally like that - might be attractive, no?

cheers

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
something isn't symmetrical as mentioned above. Buuut, my smolt patterns that I tie kick by design (I prefer back and forth, but just to one side is just as effective) to imitate either an injured minnow or a minnow darting back and forth feeding without a care in the world.

Bagman

Clinch knot. I think Chick Worthing is onto something about the symmetry. The craft fur I use on the sides is significantly off kilter.
Symmetry gets real important when you are using material that floats along with material that soaks up water. This is a real problem when you are substituting materials on a fly you’ve never tied and are tying with what you have on hand.

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
Clinch knot. I think Chick Worthing is onto something about the symmetry. The craft fur I use on the sides is significantly off kilter.
I would move over to a open loop knot. It will let the fly swim naturall. The clinch knot may be pulling it in one direction like a rudder.

candr

Sometimes it helps to keel streamers so they track straight. A few lead wraps just above the hook bend (just below the tail tie in point) covered in tying thread will make them track straight. This is where those fly testing tanks are really helpful for tuning a new fly before fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts