DAL 8’9” 5wt

Tim Ihle

Burkheimer DAL trout rod. I have several of his two handers but no trout. Obviously beautiful build. Don’t hear a lot about them

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

I have the 9’ 5wt DAL that I bought last summer. I have only been fishing it the past couple weeks but I really like it. I believe that is the most popular Burkheimer trout model.

It’s got a very small handle, which suits me just fine since my hand is smaller than average, and the rod shaft is also very narrow diameter, when compared to my Sage and Winston rods of the same length and line weight that I have, for example, but it does not lack anything in terms of backbone and cast ability from what I can tell.

The only 2 things that I would prefer is that it does not have a fly keeper just above the handle (this might be available upon request, I don’t know), and mine is a 4 piece rod while I prefer 2 piece rods. (I know I’m in the minority in that regard.)

Dillon

I have the 9’ 5wt DAL that I bought last summer. I have only been fishing it the past couple weeks but I really like it. I believe that is the most popular Burkheimer trout model.

It’s got a very small handle, which suits me just fine since my hand is smaller than average, and the rod shaft is also very narrow diameter, when compared to my Sage and Winston rods of the same length and line weight that I have, for example, but it does not lack anything in terms of backbone and cast ability from what I can tell.

The only 2 things that I would prefer is that it does not have a fly keeper just above the handle (this might be available upon request, I don’t know), and mine is a 4 piece rod while I prefer 2 piece rods. (I know I’m in the minority in that regard.)
Regarding the hook keeper, try winding the leader around the circumference of the reel and attaching the fly to one of the lower guides in the tip section of your rod. You May no longer miss the keeper.

Tim Ihle

Regarding the hook keeper, try winding the leader around the circumference of the reel and attaching the fly to one of the lower guides in the tip section of your rod. You May no longer miss the keeper.
Yeah this is what most have gone to doing, especially in the Steelie circles. Essentially, every line guide in that rod is a hook keeper if the above technique is employed. Many people feel relieved that the hook keeper is now absent on rods as it was often a point where the line got hung up.

Tim Ihle

This is good to hear. Burkheimer trout rods don’t seem to be as widely used as Winston, though they are equally as aesthetic. I have cast neither.
If you had to have only one 5wt 8.5’ ish rod what would it be?

O' Clarkii Stomias

This is good to hear. Burkheimer trout rods don’t seem to be as widely used as Winston, though they are equally as aesthetic. I have cast neither.
Blackburn bamboo 8'6" for a 5 would be my first choice, and burkie would be a second. I like casting small dries on big western rivers with boo.
Burkheimer over Winston any day!

MT_Flyfisher

I‘m using the stripping guide now but I still would have preferred a fly keeper near the handle.

MT_Flyfisher

Are there advantages to an 8 1/2’ versus a 9’ for a 5 wt rod?

David Loy

Senior Moment
There are advantages to 9’ rods: mending line on long casts on large water, “high sticking” nymphs through pocket water, and keeping your casts above other passengers in the drift boat. However, 8.5 foot rods can do all of the above fairly well, are a slight bit quicker to hit a prime holding spot going by, and are an absolute joy to cast (worth the price of admission to me). Another advantage to shorter rods can be that the casting plane is more parallel to the water surface, allowing your dry fly to alight with nary a ripple using gossamer thread.

Tim Ihle

I am partial to the 8.5’ rods for trout work as they seem more surgical in my hands and easier to pinpoint casts, as the 6” makes a huge difference to me. I am technically “borrowing” an IMX 8.5’ 5wt and for a fishing rod I would choose it over my SAGE LL and Asquith …9/10 times. The 8.5 IMX is really quite nice but,….I confess I like the look of fancy rods.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info