Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: Rocket last night?

804 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim Travers 
#1 ·
Did anybody else see that big bright streak arching across the sky headed east a little after 10:30 last night? It looked very similar to this from last month. . .
. . .although this was a more regular linear array, big bright line with some internal structure to it. . .and a they put up a Falcon 9 rocket from Kennedy just 7 hrs before this flew over my house. . .
My nephew designs these rockets for SpaceX, and thought these are the satellites catching light off their solar panels after deployment. I was worried it might have been an uncontrolled re-entry like the stuff that biffed it in Eastern WA last month from a Falcon rocket, but he's smarter than me, so I'll go with it. Mine was crappy video, but looked like. . .

Anybody else see it? It was not subtle, easily the brightest thing in the sky at the time, on par with the crescent moon,

fb

#7 ·
The International Space Station went over last night from 10:22-10:30, flying from SW to ENE.
I'm guessing you saw that.
No this was definitely the Starlink satellite launch. . .the "string of pearls" that John Dude mentioned is a good description, except that the 60 satellite pearls were still so close together last night that they looked like a bright line, and this was in the NW sky, traveling east. It was pretty striking.

fb

#10 ·
I'm looking forward to Starlink. Should have my hardware in the coming months and by year end we'll have service in Montana.

Supposedly guys are getting up to 200 MBPS, super fast latency, no data restrictions, and a dish half the size of my current Hughes hardware.
We were at Disney World and Universal a month ago. On a whim we decided to go to the Kennedy Space Center, about an hour away. Place seemed really busy for a Tuesday. Walking in we see a countdown clock at 1:45:00. Come to find out they were launching a SpaceEx/StarLink rocket! Completely walked lucked into that one. Pretty cool to watch and you can feel the rumble even though you're a long ways off. Told the kids they'd be gaming and streaming from those satellites this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.