Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Road trip fishing suggestions

4K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Stonefish 
#1 · (Edited)
Back in summer of 2019, we picked up the book "The Pacific Northwest's Best Trips". Several of the 32 road trips looked fun, but our cars at the time weren't exactly trip worthy. Then the effing virus hit. Possibly the only good thing that came of that debacle, was my wife's Outback finally died at the perfect time to replace it. We got a smoking deal on a 2017 lease return Mazda 6 Grand Touring. Basically a just broken in $35k new car for half price. We both love this car and have been dying to take it on a real trip since.

Fast forward to this week. FINALLY we're both fully vaccinated and things are open enough to hit the road and my wife surprised me with a road trip for my 60th. She picked Trip #3 "Mountains to Sound Greenway". The trip starts in E-burg, head up the Yakima, over Snoqualmie Pass (splurging one night at Salish Lodge $$$) and a night in Downtown Seattle (cringe?) to check out the Glass Museum, Pikes Place, Space Needle (never been) etc...

So, not really a fishing trip, buuut, I've never wet a line in the Yakima, or anywhere in central WA for that matter. Right now I'm not itching to fish but I know for a fact I'll be thinking stuff along the way like "OOH, I gotta float an EHC along that seam", or "that rip-rap has GOT to be holding some smallmouth". Not looking for favorite rocks to stand on but I'm definitely open to any easy-peasy road-side suggestions where I could wet a line for a bit. Some bare minimum fly selections would help too. Doubt I'll take my waders since they'll stink up the car being well-marinated in tuna gore - but if having them would make a big difference, I could always double bag.

I'm also totally open to warm water stuff. Love catching bluegills, perch, ditch-pickles and such. On that note we'll be driving up the CR Gorge, probably the WA side, before turning north to E-burg. So thinking I'll throw in the 7wt with an intermediate and some smallie flies. I have some idea of what I'm doing with CR smallies but also wouldn't object to any tips. No worries about me hot-spotting, or frequenting any honey holes shared - it should be evident my obsessions lie offshore.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#6 ·
Old Man said: (Quillybilly said mocking OM)
I don't know why anybody in their right mind even wants to go to Butte...
Only experienced Butte one time as a kid when we "stopped in" for a bite when driving cross-country. My Dad liked us to experience "authentic" places and remember him finding some ancient diner in downtown. Judging from the looks we got, I don't think many (or any) tourists from the interstate patronized the place. 50 years ago and still remember the toughest cube steak I ever ate.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi SF,
In spring, fishing the Yakima depends on timing. The flows are ramping up, likely in support of hay irrigation. The flows have been increasing steadily this week and are currently at 3200cfs which means few opportunities for wading (not much wading over 2000cfs). You either need to drift the river or fish off the banks in a few likely pockets. There should be some caddis around for another week or two. And some pmds too. But contact one of the shops for more current intel. [Frankly, I suggest skipping the Yakima (and Ellensburg) entirely and heading a bit further east for some wine-tasting in the Tri-Cities area. It depends on how much driving you want to do.
It seems that you might be limited on time and focusing on downtown Seattle would seem like the best plan for your urban adventure. In addition to the Chihuly Garden, the Museum of Pop Culture (aka Experience Music Project) is also open in the Seattle Center Complex. While it is closed at this moment (though I suspect that it will soon open), there is also an iMax theater in the Seattle Center if it is rainy and the Olympic Sculpture Park closer to the waterfront would be worth a stroll if it is a sunny day.
Pike Place is always interesting when there is energy there. And you will be very close to the Seattle Aquarium (just opened). After you explore the aquarium, you can grab some Ivar's clam chowder and fries and stroll along the waterfront. And take in the Seattle Wheel in the evening (or go for a ride).
Enjoy your experience,
Steve

#8 ·
Cabezon:

With all due respect, I would avoid Seattle like the plague. Yes, there are some very nice places to visit but, I would worry about personal safety and car break-ins. We have not even ventured into Seattle since it has become place “where anything goes” and there is no recourse. (This even prior to the current pandemic.)Our regular thing to do was the National Geo series at Benaroya. Not anymore.
BTW - I have lived since 1956, not a newbie. I value my life and property, so don’t visit the city at all anymore.
I could suggest a ferry ride across the pond.
Sorry to speak badly about a city I loved but, it is not the city I grew up with.
Just my opinion .

#47 ·
Cabezon:

With all due respect, I would avoid Seattle like the plague. Yes, there are some very nice places to visit but, I would worry about personal safety and car break-ins. We have not even ventured into Seattle since it has become place "where anything goes" and there is no recourse. (This even prior to the current pandemic.)Our regular thing to do was the National Geo series at Benaroya. Not anymore.
BTW - I have lived since 1956, not a newbie. I value my life and property, so don't visit the city at all anymore.
I could suggest a ferry ride across the pond.
Sorry to speak badly about a city I loved but, it is not the city I grew up with.
Just my opinion .
Totally agree. Don't leave anything in your car in Seattle. You are on your own if you get robbed or a break in. Yes, this city is dying.

#9 ·
I'll add to the chorus of don't do Seattle if you don't have to.

But on your trip up the Gorge I can endorse 2 places. The first is Rowland Lakes. The highway runs between these lakes and the one on the south side is a sleeper. The north lake has a boat ramp and is a popular put and take lake but the south side lake has a bit of shore access where you can scramble down and make some casts. The south lake is open to the Columbia so you might catch anything in there that is in the main river. I have caught immature chinook there on their downstream migration-always a rush when you expect crappie! Lots of panfish and bass with the occasional really decent trout.

The other, depending how far east you go before heading north, is Crow Butte. It is a state park on an island in the Columbia and has a fine dock to fish off of. The biggest crappie i ever caught-18''-came from that dock and I have spent many an hour lifting nice panfish out that water. Almost any slough that you can park beside along the Gorge is going to hold smallmouth and many offer decent bank access.

But please-not Seattle! Think of it as a third world city where almost anything can happen-most of which isn't good.

#11 ·
I'll double check on where she has us staying in DT Seattle. Might be too late to cancel the hotel but not worth it if things are really that bad. Especially parking isn't secure Normally we'd stay at her sister's in West Seattle but this isn't a family trip.

#16 ·
My wife and I are in the process of leaving Seattle and moving to Tacoma (where we can actually afford our first home). This city is an easy target. But cmon folks. Even with its myriad issues, Seattle is a beautiful and world-class city.

I bike to work multiple times a week into the downtown core. I park downtown from time to time as well. Take a deep breath. It’s going to be fine. It’s ok to have a good time here!

If you get a chance, visit the aquarium. It is beautiful and fascinating despite the screaming kids. Some big ol lunkers in there!

#18 ·
The Snoqualmie forks are finally firing up. Damn near every insect known to man was hatching today. I can give you some warm (not hot) spots via PM, if you want. You need to wet wade or wear waders though. Casting off the bank is a waste of time, in my opinion.

Regarding Seattle, don't let folks scare you away. Downton Seattle is only a shit hole if you actually live there. When you're a tourist, you're too busy to notice and/or care. I can speak from experience, from both sides. Given that you have a car, staying in Bellevue could be an option too.

Here's some other Seattle stuff that is worth checking out.
  • Museum of Flight
  • Ballard salmon ladder (unsure if now is a good time of year)
  • Seattle underground
  • Theo chocolate factory tour
  • Woodinville wineries
  • Bainbridge Island
  • Gasworks Park
  • Kerry Park (at night)
  • Discovery Park (at sunrise/sunset)
Here's some stuff that is not worth checking out, in my opinion.
  • Boeing factory
  • Whisky distilleries
  • West Seattle (the bridge is closed and it takes too long)

#20 ·
If you are with your wife and you actually care if she has a good time
Spin Fish. It takes too long to fly fish.

If you are really going to stop along the road for 20 mins set a timer on your phone. Be back to the new cool car in 18 mins or it will be a long, dry road trip.

I’m on my third wife, I know some stuff.

So along the Columbia try #2 or #3 blacked bladed spinners or 3” grubs. Up on the Yakima spinners or 1/8 or 1/4 oz jigs fished twitching style.

Have a great time!

#21 ·
Despite its woes, Seattle is still a gem and worthy of its moniker. World class cuisine (inspired by tremendous cultural diversity), gorgeous scenery (when weather is decent), interesting history.... The view looking East from a boat on Elliott Bay is as beautiful a panorama as I have ever experienced, and I have been a lot of places renowned for their natural beauty. The view on the other side features the Olympics; NOT a bad consolation prize. 360 degrees of stunning scenery. If you're concerned about your car, ditch it at the hotel and take advantage of ample, free, public transportation and your feet to get around.

Having worked in Seattle and on the Eastside for a few years in the recent past, I've seen more than enough of that traffic situation (and the real estate prices) to know I could never live there. Doesn't mean it isn't a great place to visit once in a while.

What's with the hate on Butte? Glamorous? Maybe not. Affordable and central to stuff I like to do? Yup! Besides, I kinda dig the edgy history. Reminds me a little of Port Townsend, WA that way....

#25 ·
World class cuisine (inspired by tremendous cultural diversity)
1621225478722.png

Seattle food is not good. I started complaining about this even before I started complaining about the state of downtown. There are some things that are OK, but overall it is not great. Here is some scientific proof.
  • Eight out of eight Australian expats agree with me.
  • Everyone goes on about the piroshki at Pikes Place. THEY AREN'T EVEN REAL PIROSHKI.
  • I work in tech, with a lot of folks from India. They all agree there is no good Indian food.
Seattle is very culturally diverse, but everyone is too busy getting that tech money to start restaurants.

#23 ·
Guy,
Enjoy your trip.
If you find yourself down in Ballard, you might want to visit the Ballard Locks. I believe they are open again.
I always enjoy having a cold one or two on the upstairs bar deck at Ray’s Boathouse with some Penn Cove mussels watching the boats entering and leaving the locks. The mussels are killer and you’ll go into carb overload asking for more bread to soak up the sauce.

Don’t let all the fear mongering ruin your trip.
As a Seattle resident, no doubt it has it problems.
Then again, what areas these days doesn’t?
Some folks think their slice of heaven might be perfect, but I guarantee you it has problems as well. Either they don’t wish to acknowledge them or they are just blind or oblivious to them.
SF

#24 · (Edited)
For a bunch of years I spent over 3 months a year driving all over this country. From the monster big cities to the smaller places in Iowa or Wyoming. The guys I traveled with from other cities or countries were always super excited about the Seattle stop. Easy to see why.
I now always put myself in the eyes of a first time visitor to the downtown, the Showbox/market area.. seeing Puget Sound with ferries. The rich history of the place... mountains everywhere if clear.

How many places have a view of a giant glacial-packed peak and whales from a city center?

I can say that on those 19,000 mile drives around this country that it has a lot of really crappy places, and some great places. Honestly, Seattle still has no peers in my eyes. None. Eventhough I rarely go up there anymore as the traffic is crazy.

Sometimes, I need to regroup my own negativity and make those trips and not be so jaded.

That said, do not go to the OP. Too crowded. Nothing to see.

#41 ·
Just got back. Fishless but otherwise excellent trip. Tried one spot at the East end of the Gorge in 20-25kt winds. Normally I can deal with some wind but this was ridiculous. Very bassy looking water though. Might've missed one tap but hard to tell with so much line waving around. Finally gave up after donating a tuna fly to the rocks. Tried the Yak in Cle Elum for an hour or so but didn't even catch a whitefish. Very pretty river. Would love to fish it properly some day.

Salish Lodge, and Snoqualmie Falls were freaking amazing. Seattle was great, other than some sketchy spots, it wasn't bad. Worth it to see the glass museum, Space Needle and the best Japanese food ever.

Thanks all for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.