Road trip fishing suggestions

NRC

WFF Supporter
My wife and I are in the process of leaving Seattle and moving to Tacoma (where we can actually afford our first home). This city is an easy target. But cmon folks. Even with its myriad issues, Seattle is a beautiful and world-class city.

I bike to work multiple times a week into the downtown core. I park downtown from time to time as well. Take a deep breath. It’s going to be fine. It’s ok to have a good time here!

If you get a chance, visit the aquarium. It is beautiful and fascinating despite the screaming kids. Some big ol lunkers in there!

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
The Snoqualmie forks are finally firing up. Damn near every insect known to man was hatching today. I can give you some warm (not hot) spots via PM, if you want. You need to wet wade or wear waders though. Casting off the bank is a waste of time, in my opinion.

Regarding Seattle, don't let folks scare you away. Downton Seattle is only a shit hole if you actually live there. When you're a tourist, you're too busy to notice and/or care. I can speak from experience, from both sides. Given that you have a car, staying in Bellevue could be an option too.

Here's some other Seattle stuff that is worth checking out.
  • Museum of Flight
  • Ballard salmon ladder (unsure if now is a good time of year)
  • Seattle underground
  • Theo chocolate factory tour
  • Woodinville wineries
  • Bainbridge Island
  • Gasworks Park
  • Kerry Park (at night)
  • Discovery Park (at sunrise/sunset)
Here's some stuff that is not worth checking out, in my opinion.
  • Boeing factory
  • Whisky distilleries
  • West Seattle (the bridge is closed and it takes too long)

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Seattle like any, is not the city it was 50 years ago. It’s also a fantastic city. Safer than nearly any city it’s size in the country. I myself can do without cities. Don’t have much use for them outside of work. That said, before covid, I commuted to Seattle for years and never had any significant issues. Anyone who has concerns with safety in Seattle has not spent a significant amount of time in other cities in this country, let alone this world.

SF, if you make into the Kitsap side of the sound and have an interest in targeting SRC or coho (depending on trip timing) let me know. I’d be happy to take you out, beach or boat.

Does a toxic “pond” sitting in the middle of the largest superfund site on the planet do anything for ya?

You ever watch the River Monsters episode where he fishes Chernobyl. Might be some mighty big Browns swimming in that pit. Maybe with glowing spots….

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
If you are with your wife and you actually care if she has a good time
Spin Fish. It takes too long to fly fish.

If you are really going to stop along the road for 20 mins set a timer on your phone. Be back to the new cool car in 18 mins or it will be a long, dry road trip.

I’m on my third wife, I know some stuff.

So along the Columbia try #2 or #3 blacked bladed spinners or 3” grubs. Up on the Yakima spinners or 1/8 or 1/4 oz jigs fished twitching style.

Have a great time!

Shad

Despite its woes, Seattle is still a gem and worthy of its moniker. World class cuisine (inspired by tremendous cultural diversity), gorgeous scenery (when weather is decent), interesting history.... The view looking East from a boat on Elliott Bay is as beautiful a panorama as I have ever experienced, and I have been a lot of places renowned for their natural beauty. The view on the other side features the Olympics; NOT a bad consolation prize. 360 degrees of stunning scenery. If you're concerned about your car, ditch it at the hotel and take advantage of ample, free, public transportation and your feet to get around.

Having worked in Seattle and on the Eastside for a few years in the recent past, I've seen more than enough of that traffic situation (and the real estate prices) to know I could never live there. Doesn't mean it isn't a great place to visit once in a while.

What's with the hate on Butte? Glamorous? Maybe not. Affordable and central to stuff I like to do? Yup! Besides, I kinda dig the edgy history. Reminds me a little of Port Townsend, WA that way....

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Guy,
Enjoy your trip.
If you find yourself down in Ballard, you might want to visit the Ballard Locks. I believe they are open again.
I always enjoy having a cold one or two on the upstairs bar deck at Ray’s Boathouse with some Penn Cove mussels watching the boats entering and leaving the locks. The mussels are killer and you’ll go into carb overload asking for more bread to soak up the sauce.

Don’t let all the fear mongering ruin your trip.
As a Seattle resident, no doubt it has it problems.
Then again, what areas these days doesn’t?
Some folks think their slice of heaven might be perfect, but I guarantee you it has problems as well. Either they don’t wish to acknowledge them or they are just blind or oblivious to them.
SF

Gyrfalcon21

For a bunch of years I spent over 3 months a year driving all over this country. From the monster big cities to the smaller places in Iowa or Wyoming. The guys I traveled with from other cities or countries were always super excited about the Seattle stop. Easy to see why.
I now always put myself in the eyes of a first time visitor to the downtown, the Showbox/market area.. seeing Puget Sound with ferries. The rich history of the place... mountains everywhere if clear.

How many places have a view of a giant glacial-packed peak and whales from a city center?

I can say that on those 19,000 mile drives around this country that it has a lot of really crappy places, and some great places. Honestly, Seattle still has no peers in my eyes. None. Eventhough I rarely go up there anymore as the traffic is crazy.

Sometimes, I need to regroup my own negativity and make those trips and not be so jaded.

That said, do not go to the OP. Too crowded. Nothing to see.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
World class cuisine (inspired by tremendous cultural diversity)

1621225478722.png

Seattle food is not good. I started complaining about this even before I started complaining about the state of downtown. There are some things that are OK, but overall it is not great. Here is some scientific proof.
  • Eight out of eight Australian expats agree with me.
  • Everyone goes on about the piroshki at Pikes Place. THEY AREN'T EVEN REAL PIROSHKI.
  • I work in tech, with a lot of folks from India. They all agree there is no good Indian food.
Seattle is very culturally diverse, but everyone is too busy getting that tech money to start restaurants.

Shad

View attachment 282031

Seattle food is not good. I started complaining about this even before I started complaining about the state of downtown. There are some things that are OK, but overall it is not great. Here is some scientific proof.
  • Eight out of eight Australian expats agree with me.
  • Everyone goes on about the piroshki at Pikes Place. THEY AREN'T EVEN REAL PIROSHKI.
  • I work in tech, with a lot of folks from India. They all agree there is no good Indian food.
Australians eat Vegemite. Enough said.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Australians eat Vegemite. Enough said.

We also eat kangaroos. Don't hate us coz you ain't us. :p

To be clear, Australian cuisine is about as good as American cuisine (ie. terrible). However, we have a lot more migrants blessing us with their amazing food. I rate everyday $8 food court Indian food better than any Indian I've had here.

San Francisco, LA and New York were all very good, in my experience. That's about the level you get in the major cities, back home. Seattle definitely isn't terrible. It's definitely miles better than Tampa, where I lived previously. However, I wouldn't call it world class. Beauty/flavor is in the eye/mouth of the beholder though, I guess.

Last edited:

Shad

I agree about American cuisine being largely dogshit, but I dearly love it. On the other hand, I hear kangaroo is delicious!

The stuff I'm talking about is the ethnic stuff... especially Asian. There are lots of really good holes in walls in Seattle that serve really good food. There are renowned sushi places and very good steakhouses, too....

Shad

Must repent. I used the term "cuisine," which to Jared's point calls to a higher order of dining experience than what one finds at a hole in the wall. I should have used the phrase "world class eats," but I stand by the quality of food available in the greater Seattle area.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
I agree about American cuisine being largely dogshit, but I dearly love it. On the other hand, I hear kangaroo is delicious!

The stuff I'm talking about is the ethnic stuff... especially Asian. There are lots of really good holes in walls in Seattle that serve really good food. There are renowned sushi places and very good steakhouses, too....
I found kangaroo to be rather tough and not very flavorful. Croc, on the other hand, was quite nice, like a pork tenderloin. Australian steaks are great. Barramundi is delicious. And the Aussies put slices of pickled beets on their hamburgers.
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts