Road trip fishing suggestions

jasmillo

WFF Premium
We also eat kangaroos. Don't hate us coz you ain't us. :p

To be clear, Australian cuisine is about as good as American cuisine (ie. terrible). However, we have a lot more migrants blessing us with their amazing food. I rate everyday $8 food court Indian food better than any Indian I've had here.

San Francisco, LA and New York were all very good, in my experience. That's about the level you get in the major cities, back home. Seattle definitely isn't terrible. It's definitely miles better than Tampa, where I lived previously. However, I still wouldn't call it great.

I’ve only spent a couple weeks in Australia but came away with the impression that meat pies are a food group in your country ;). I did spend a couple of days in Sydney and had some good food though. Rural areas…not so much. I lived in Tampa a bit as well and found the best food to be smaller spots but I was not blown away either. That said, I could have eaten Cuban sandwiches 3 meals a day and been perfectly content.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
I’ve only spent a couple weeks in Australia but came away with the impression that meat pies are a food group in your country ;). I did spend a couple of days in Sydney and had some good food though. Rural areas…not so much. I lived in Tampa a bit as well and found the best food to be smaller spots but I was not blown away either. That said, I could have eaten Cuban sandwiches 3 meals a day and been perfectly content.

My city is famous for a thing called a "pie floater".

It's a meat pie, floating in pea and ham soup. It sounds terrible. It looks terrible. It tastes amazing. It is the ultimate drunk food. We have a number of such foods, believe it or not.

Anyway. I have derailed this thread enough. Carry on.

Old Man

A very Old Man
If you want really bad traffic, try Chicago. I have done it about 3 times. That was enough. But I never minded the traffic in and around Seattle/Everett. When you know the back roads. Getting around is easy.

SilverFly

Thanks all for the suggestions and entertaining comments (seriously). It's been a fun read & I've gotten some excellent advice. No give-aways but those take the real fun out of hitting a new spot anyway.

Thinking we'll stick with the DT Seattle plan.

Last edited:

XP

I’ll be on a road trip to Montana from Oregon in most of July. Trying to take backroads only. Can’t wait for some ID/MT trout fishing.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Premium
We also eat kangaroos. Don't hate us coz you ain't us. :p

To be clear, Australian cuisine is about as good as American cuisine (ie. terrible). However, we have a lot more migrants blessing us with their amazing food. I rate everyday $8 food court Indian food better than any Indian I've had here.

San Francisco, LA and New York were all very good, in my experience. That's about the level you get in the major cities, back home. Seattle definitely isn't terrible. It's definitely miles better than Tampa, where I lived previously. However, I wouldn't call it world class. Beauty/flavor is in the eye/mouth of the beholder though, I guess.
I ordered the Kangaroo from the menu while in Sidney. The daggers I received from the eyes of the waitress nearly pieced my heart.

The kangaroo was just okay.

SilverFly

Poor Butte. Maybe next time.

At first I thought the superfund site you were referring to was Commencement Bay. Just realized you meant the Anaconda mine "lake of death". See, Washington and Montana DO have something in common,... aww! <insert sparkly heart smilie here > ;)

SilverFly

My city is famous for a thing called a "pie floater".

It's a meat pie, floating in pea and ham soup. It sounds terrible.

I have an extremely visual imagination. I'm envisioning the results of digestive issues, so thanks for that. ;)

Last edited:

SilverFly

Just got back. Fishless but otherwise excellent trip. Tried one spot at the East end of the Gorge in 20-25kt winds. Normally I can deal with some wind but this was ridiculous. Very bassy looking water though. Might've missed one tap but hard to tell with so much line waving around. Finally gave up after donating a tuna fly to the rocks. Tried the Yak in Cle Elum for an hour or so but didn't even catch a whitefish. Very pretty river. Would love to fish it properly some day.

Salish Lodge, and Snoqualmie Falls were freaking amazing. Seattle was great, other than some sketchy spots, it wasn't bad. Worth it to see the glass museum, Space Needle and the best Japanese food ever.

Thanks all for the advice.

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
The upper Yak has access points at the Roslyn and Golf Course Road (2 there) exits. Good wade fishing at both. There's a nice little map of the river that I got at the Ellensburg fly shop. Shows all the public access

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts