Who here fishes Winston 486-3 WT?

Mark Mercer

I purchased a used IM6 (should be the same in the WT?) in that configuration years back online, thinking it would be the big brother to my WT 8'6" 3wt but it wasn't and not nearly as sweet imo... I returned it the next day !!!
I'd save some $ and cast the Redington CT in that configuration....

Tim Ihle

I purchased a used IM6 (should be the same in the WT?) in that configuration years back online, thinking it would be the big brother to my WT 8'6" 3wt but it wasn't and not nearly as sweet imo... I returned it the next day !!!
I'd save some $ and cast the Redington CT in that configuration....
Oh really? Would it make a good boat dry fly rod for medium to large rivers?

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
I have a Winston "Tom Morgan favorite" that is 8' -4 weight WT but they build the bottom section with a 4wt. blank and the top out of a 3WT. it is usually referred to a 3.5.
It is fun in everything but the wind.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I feel undergunned with a 3 wt on bigger water. That is my dry fly stick on creeks.

moon1284

It's a decent rod but I think a scott g 856 is a way better boat dry fly rod if you're set on something 8.5'. Scott G 6 weights are pretty much all dry fly rods and aren't something you'd want to throw streamers with (but I guess you could in a pinch).

IMO, you're better off with a slower 6 weight or even 5 weight for dries on a boat. A 4 or lighter really only works for me on a boat if there is no wind (or if I'm fishing 20s or smaller). On my boat I fish dries 90% of the time. Of that time I fish a 6 weight 100% of the time, and I routinely fish dries down to size 18. A 6 weight usually has more power in the butt to quickly land fish and if it's a moderate or slow rod it can protect light tippet. This weekend I caught rainbows and browns on hendricksons and eastern March brown comparaduns (size 14 and 12) up to about 22-inches and I used a Livingston traditional graphite 906 and an rp 690 and sage 505s (clicker) on both. My tippet was 3# ultragreen total leader length was about 15'. I had no problem landing the fish relativley quickly (some in heavy current) with those rigs. When I fished 4 or 5 weights with identical rigs I had to pull anchor a lot to chase fish when they got into heavy current and the fights lasted much longer.

Now if you're talking about a 4 weight tcr or xp (or if you plan to upline), then yea i'd say a 4 would work.

MT_Flyfisher

It's a decent rod but I think a scott g 856 is a way better boat dry fly rod if you're set on something 8.5'. Scott G 6 weights are pretty much all dry fly rods and aren't something you'd want to throw streamers with (but I guess you could in a pinch).

IMO, you're better off with a slower 6 weight or even 5 weight for dries on a boat. A 4 or lighter really only works for me on a boat if there is no wind (or if I'm fishing 20s or smaller). On my boat I fish dries 90% of the time. Of that time I fish a 6 weight 100% of the time, and I routinely fish dries down to size 18. A 6 weight usually has more power in the butt to quickly land fish and if it's a moderate or slow rod it can protect light tippet. This weekend I caught rainbows and browns on hendricksons and eastern March brown comparaduns (size 14 and 12) up to about 22-inches and I used a Livingston traditional graphite 906 and an rp 690 and sage 505s (clicker) on both. My tippet was 3# ultragreen total leader length was about 15'. I had no problem landing the fish relativley quickly (some in heavy current) with those rigs. When I fished 4 or 5 weights with identical rigs I had to pull anchor a lot to chase fish when they got into heavy current and the fights lasted much longer.

Now if you're talking about a 4 weight tcr or xp (or if you plan to upline), then yea i'd say a 4 would work.
Hey, Moon - You fishing that 6 wt in the Niagara River?:)

moon1284

No 8 or 9 on the Niagara. 6 on the upper delaware all day where I have a camp and fish most of the time.

When I go out west 6 as well if I'm in a boat or on Henry's fork or larger. If I'm fishing hoppers, 6 all day. If you can cast its not hard to present on a 6 weight. A 6 with a soft tip and a clicker reel will protect light tippet fine, and the extra ass in the butt of the rod helps turn big fish in faster current.

4s are for Tricos. 3s are kind of like toys they are fun but really I can do anything I can with a 3 weight the same with a 4. I use my 3 once or twice a year.

I have 30+ rods at least 8 are 6 weights varying in length from 7 foot to 9.5 foot. The scott g 846/5 is probably the best hopper rod ever built for spring creeks imo. The g 706/3 is a great hopper rod for tiny creeks with bigger fish. Both are 6s. Other opinions are welcome but I'm set in my ways.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info