New 4 wt build

How hard is it to do a rod build i have been wanting to try it but, its one of those thing that do I want to spend the money to f it up. Any advice to someone gonna try it?

Very much love that rod!! Nice to see it dosent look the same as every other off the shelf rod. If its anything like tieing flies just the feeling of landing a fish on something you created I need to get on that. But sorry for the little rant there, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: ED3

Guy Gregory

Can you tell me something about the blank: Brand, length, action as built, etc. please? I'm hoping to build a 4 weight to replace/augment my go-to rod this winter..

Reactions: ED3

Elliott5400

How hard is it to do a rod build i have been wanting to try it but, its one of those thing that do I want to spend the money to f it up. Any advice to someone gonna try it?

Very much love that rod!! Nice to see it dosent look the same as every other off the shelf rod. If its anything like tieing flies just the feeling of landing a fish on something you created I need to get on that. But sorry for the little rant there, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Concept isn't hard, but the knowledge and experience takes years.

Just buy a blank for $30 or less for your first build. Call Greg's custom rods in lake stevens and tell them you want to build a 1st rod.

ED3

Go for it! Building rods is a very rewarding experience. I did not find it very hard when I started, it got more difficult when I started building rods for customers ! You dont need that big of an investment to start building rods for yourself, especially fly rods and lighter weight stuff. Dont be scared of F-ing anything up either, its going to happen at some point haha. There are a lot of great resources now online, you can find tutorials on just about every aspect of rod building. I live in Sequim, if I can be of any help let me know.

ED3

How do you like the carbon grip as compared to cork?
SF
I like the carbon grips so far, they are weird because they are so firm to the touch at first, they dont have much give at all when you grip them , but you seem to feel everything a little more. Casting wise it is comfortable and I have no issues with it there.

ED3

Can you tell me something about the blank: Brand, length, action as built, etc. please? I'm hoping to build a 4 weight to replace/augment my go-to rod this winter..
Sure the blank is a Rainshadow Revelation 8 foot 6 , 4 weight, fast action, it has an Alps reel seat and all Alps guides, with a carbon grip. If I can help any with your build let me know. I am in Sequim, I am not against trading rod building blanks, etc. for fly fishing gear. I have been building rods for several years in San Diego but I have only been here on the Olympic Peninsula for about 9 months, and fly fishing is something I am just now getting into.

PhilR

WFF Supporter

It's not hard, but it's kinda fussy and fiddly getting the wraps right. And really frustrating when your trim wraps unwind themselves cause you looked at them funny. Your first few will have issues, but only you will notice. Watch some videos, and go slow, you'll be fine.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts