Please tell me about this Echo2 rod

BigSky

My Dad passed away last year and one of the things I am getting from his stuff (estate?) is an Echo2 fly rod. Anyway, I have never seen this particular model before. I did a search on Google, and will continue to do so; but, there appears to be alack of information about it. It is an “Echo2 1090SW-4X” and seems to have three extra tip sections. Can anybody tell me anything about this rod? I can't tell you much more about it yet as it is being sent to me by my brother as I am the only other fly fisher in the family. Thanks in advance.

dustinchromers

Echo 2 were early echo rods and actually of impressive quality. The fitments like guides ect were a little different and guady IMHO like the anodized first guide. However the reel seats were quality and actions (at least with the two handers I've owned) were powerful and on point. They originally came with two tips to my knowledge. An "A" tip for accuracy as it was softer and a "D" tip for distance. You may have a spare in addition to the pair. By the numbers it appears you have a saltwater 10wt rod of nine foot length. I've never had my hands on that particular model however if it's anything like the others it's a nice rod. Echo 2 rods were very much a personal preference rod. Some loved them others not so much. I've always been a fan personally as they are a fast authoritive action while providing good caster feedback.

BigSky

Thanks Dustin. What little "effective research" I was able to do, in part, confirms your description. I wonder if the "4X" means 4 different tips. I have sent an e-mail to Echo; but, I appreciate your input and that of anybody else who may know these rods. I have absolutely no need for a 10 weight rod; so, upon receipt, I may sell it. If I do so, I want to be able to accurately describe it to prospective buyers.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
BigSky
This may help you.
Had to break up the first two screen shots.
These were pulled off the Wayback Machine internet archive site. Maybe the SW is a saltwater designation model that was introduced later?
Hope this helps.
SF

Edit, it is a saltwater version.

F2E5DFA9-D859-455C-85C8-EBE264131116.jpeg E76514C7-9C52-4181-8A0C-D40D7822874A.jpeg 4FEECE60-DFC4-4377-B8E3-F1EA821EE746.jpeg

Last edited:

dustinchromers

Thanks Dustin. What little "effective research" I was able to do, in part, confirms your description. I wonder if the "4X" means 4 different tips. I have sent an e-mail to Echo; but, I appreciate your input and that of anybody else who may know these rods. I have absolutely no need for a 10 weight rod; so, upon receipt, I may sell it. If I do so, I want to be able to accurately describe it to prospective buyers.

If you sell the ten let me know. @Evan Burck may be able to provide more accurate knowledge of this particular rod.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
If you sell the ten let me know. @Evan Burck may be able to provide more accurate knowledge of this particular rod.
Evan Burck honestly doesn't know that much about this rod as it was discontinued long before my arrival to the company. I think he emailed me about it, but outside of asking Tim his thoughts on it (and he has been out of the office since last week) I don't have much more info than what was in the catalog posted above.

The one thing I can help with - they came with two tips, not four. the 4x means "four piece"

BigSky

Evan and I have been corresponding. Everything everyone has said, including by Evan via e-mail, seems to jive. I just can't figure out the 4 tip sections. Heck, maybe he had two rods at one time. Thanks all for your input.

BigSky

Thank you my friend. I, likewise, am sorry to hear of your father's passing. Perhaps they are fishing together in the great beyond.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Yeh, he taught me lots of fun outdoor activities. I got him into sailing and fly fishing. We loved to fly fish together!!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts