Orvis...

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter

Reading Mr. Perkins obituary I’m torn between the ideal and the reality. Don’t get me wrong, I own several Orvis products and like them a lot. But the reality is that most of their products are imported. Just take a look at their catalog. Is it really impossible to make these products in the US at a decent price point? They’re already pretty pricey...

My personal complaint is their clothing seems to be for “portly“ folks. Yes, the fabrics are wonderful, but I swim in them.

what say Y’all?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
If I don't buy local, Orvis and LL Bean have been mail order go to's for me for over 45 years. Never been disappointed that I can remember. I have a copy of the LL Bean story and read what I could find about Mr. Perkins, special individuals in a tough industry.
I'm skinny and I find the fit great, MT.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Would it actually be advantageous, to this country, for Orvis products to be made in the USA? Creating jobs isn't necessarily a good thing, if the resources would be better allocated elsewhere.

I believe we should maintain some base level of farming, medicine, defense, technology, etc. Beyond that, we should just stick to the things that we excel at and offshore everything else. I don't see fly fishing gear manufacturing being something that benefits the country in any way. In fact, it would probably just result in opportunity costs and products of poor value. I haven't looked into it deeply, though. I would be interested to hear some meaningful analysis of this.

Last edited:

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
They make the top half of their rod/reel lineup in the US just like most other high-end rod manufacturers. Probably some of their other more-expensive fishing/hunting gear as well I imagine. I wouldn't expect them or any other US brand to invest much in producing their textile lines domestically. We are never going to pay people $2/hr to stitch shirts and pants together so that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
depends on which articles of clothing you're after....

Regardless of how you feel about imported vs. domestic, virtually every single outdoors company has to balance this. I've found that in general the clothing is top notch and 99% of the rest of the fishing products are as well.

tirefire

Would it actually be advantageous, to this country, for Orvis products to be made in the USA? Creating jobs isn't necessarily a good thing, if the resources would be better allocated elsewhere.

I believe we should maintain some base level of farming, medicine, defense, technology, etc. Beyond that, we should just stick to the things that we excel at and offshore everything else. I don't see fly fishing gear manufacturing being something that benefits the country in any way. In fact, it would probably just result in opportunity costs and products of poor value. I haven't looked into it deeply, though. I would be interested to hear some meaningful analysis of this.
I'd guess you're likely right overall, but buying something made here seems like grassroots support. It also helps keep the practical knowledge of how to actually make things alive, at least when you buy from small manufacturers. And it does warm the heart at least for me even if it does cost a little more

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Being a bigger guy, I actually like the bigger, roomier cut of the few Orvis clothing items I own.
Just the opposite of Simms, where none of their stuff in the sizes I normally wear fit me.
Their clothing and waders didn’t used to be like that.
SF

Charles Sullivan

Most of my shirts are LL Bean. It is straight up made for people who are built like me. I can even tuck them in if I want!

Go Sox,
cds

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info