Orvis...

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
I like Patagonia and Simms stuff because when I flex the fabric around the arms and shoulders gets really tight. But that slim cut stuff is not for me, so I buy "Orvis cut" comfortable clothes. I've got the Dad Bod going on these days.

I tried buying a cool primaloft coat from LL Bean last year. It was well made but at least 2 sizes too small, but my wife likes it.

Last edited:

smc

Obviously Orvis fishing apparel ain't even a drop in the bucket.

But if we really cared about climate change and social equity we'd fight like hell to end our dependence on Asia manufacturing.
As the influencer you are, you can help. It would be cool if all your fashion recommendations were Made in America. Make something happen today! Here’s one to start:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
As the influencer you are, you can help. It would be cool if all your fashion recommendations were Made in America. Make something happen today! Here’s one to start:

Let's not get too carried away, I don't really care about climate change or social equity. I just love to broadcast my virtue on the internet.

dustinchromers

Would it actually be advantageous, to this country, for Orvis products to be made in the USA? Creating jobs isn't necessarily a good thing, if the resources would be better allocated elsewhere.

I believe we should maintain some base level of farming, medicine, defense, technology, etc. Beyond that, we should just stick to the things that we excel at and offshore everything else. I don't see fly fishing gear manufacturing being something that benefits the country in any way. In fact, it would probably just result in opportunity costs and products of poor value. I haven't looked into it deeply, though. I would be interested to hear some meaningful analysis of this.

Creating jobs is a good thing. Making things in America is a good thing. The death of the middle class is a bad thing. I always try to source American goods. They are in general well made and marginally more costly. But you are buying the fact they aren't made in a foreign sweatshop made by people getting paid pennies a day. Outsourcing and shipping raw materials abroad is one of the most major contributors to the middle class shrinking and those at the very top profiting belligerently at the expense of domestic jobs and foreign labor abuses.

dustinchromers

SIMMS has become SLIMMS for the tech skinny jean crowd

I like em. They are actually tall enough in the tall sizes. I like the fit of Patagonia as well but would rather wear Simms due to repair policies and the fact that most of their high end stuff is made here.

tirefire

Creating jobs is a good thing. Making things in America is a good thing. The death of the middle class is a bad thing. I always try to source American goods. They are in general well made and marginally more costly. But you are buying the fact they aren't made in a foreign sweatshop made by people getting paid pennies a day. Outsourcing and shipping raw materials abroad is one of the most major contributors to the middle class shrinking and those at the very top profiting belligerently at the expense of domestic jobs and foreign labor abuses.
I like the feeling of keeping America's working knowledge alive as well. Lost arts rarely make large scale returns, which is why I like to buy small scale manufactured goods like tools, axes, knives, firearms, knit goods, and so on from American craftsmen or women.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter

Poor Quill.
vXVTbWCc_o.gif

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter

Isn't it interesting that those usually lecturing us are the ones profiting from the current model.

Complete hypocrisy.

Ricardo

Would it actually be advantageous, to this country, for Orvis products to be made in the USA? Creating jobs isn't necessarily a good thing, if the resources would be better allocated elsewhere.

I believe we should maintain some base level of farming, medicine, defense, technology, etc. Beyond that, we should just stick to the things that we excel at and offshore everything else. I don't see fly fishing gear manufacturing being something that benefits the country in any way. In fact, it would probably just result in opportunity costs and products of poor value. I haven't looked into it deeply, though. I would be interested to hear some meaningful analysis of this.
I recently listened to a very interesting and rather depressing podcast about how mankind is running out of cheap oil and that the lack of cheap energy will put an end to many globalization trends. As oil gets more and more expensive to be extracted, oil companies should increase oil prices to stay viable (or they will have to be subsided by governments, which eventually would increase public debt, already skyrocketing). Cargo ships from southeast Asia will have prohibited costs in some years, so much of the global commerce will be replaced by inland and local trade. The days of shipping goods around the world the way we are doing it right now will be over. The other thing the podcast was talking about was that economies can't deal with high energy costs without stopping growth, and as renewables can't make up for the lack of cheap oil, our economies are doomed to change into a model where growth is not possible anymore.

The podcast indicated 2030 as the key year. There have been plenty of failed prophecies about this topic, so nobody really knows... but it is undeniable that "the day" will eventually come.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts