Orvis...

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Thanks to MGTom for explaining it the same as I would. There used to be an Orvis store by my office and I would periodically go in there and buy shirts and talk fishing. The shirts were kinda spendy at around $75 each but they last for a very long time and are very durable. For instance, I'm wearing one now at the office and I've also worn the same shirt fishing, hunting, wood cutting, etc. I draw the line at painting in it as that would wreck it. I've got Columbia Sportswear clothes for painting ;)

In Math terms, you're looking for a 2 vs 10 breakdown where 2 high quality items give you the same value/utility as 10 lesser quality items. In the fly fishing world, I get that 2/10 value with Orvis Shirts, High End Fly Rods (various manufacturers) and Simms Waders. Unfortunately I don't get that value with high end fly reels, which tend to fail just as much or more than the more economical fly reels. Money never burns a hole in my pocket, but at the same time I'll lay down the cash if I think something is worth it.

Lastly, very sorry about Tirefire's house fire, that's always a difficult thing to go thru. Hopefully you had/have a knowledgeable agent that helped you thru that process.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Thanks to MGTom for explaining it the same as I would. There used to be an Orvis store by my office and I would periodically go in there and buy shirts and talk fishing. The shirts were kinda spendy at around $75 each but they last for a very long time and are very durable. For instance, I'm wearing one now at the office and I've also worn the same shirt fishing, hunting, wood cutting, etc. I draw the line at painting in it as that would wreck it. I've got Columbia Sportswear clothes for painting ;)

Oh man, ain't that the truth. I've best the crap out of a couple of Orvis shirts I bought when I worked there. They look nearly brand new still. Meanwhile, every single one of my "tech" Columbia shirts rarely last more than 5-6 trips through the wash. Columbia does make some high quality stuff but ya gotta just know more through trial and error.

DanielOcean

Everyone understands price, not everyone understands value.

Not picking on you or anyone else, I didn't really get it until I was 45.
Yeah I get that totally. Orvis is a successful business ran by humans that want to maximize their earnings because that's probably what they value the most. As long as there are people that feel their "values" align with the products and services that Orvis provides at the prices it provides it, then what incentive does Orvis have to change their ways? To satisfy a few old timers on a fishing forum?
I for one do not feel a t-shirt priced over 30 dollars is worth it to me. But I do not take issue with any company that charges quite a bit of money for the things they sell. I just don't buy from them pretty simple.

I believe that business are there to maximize money coming in while minimizing money going out. We all do it in our own homes every week. Needed some brakes changed for the road trip back home. Goodyear down the road wanted like 500 bucks. Found a nice guy on craigslist some right wingers here would not consider, "an American boy", to do it for me for 100.00. It was not a dilemma at all choosing that gentleman on craigslist vs the "American boy" at Goodyear. Cause I saved 400 bucks by doing that and in turn I bought my kids birthday gifts. Cause that's where my fucken values are at.

tirefire

Found a nice guy on craigslist some right wingers here would not consider, "an American boy", to do it for me for 100.00. It was not a dilemma at all choosing that gentleman on craigslist vs the "American boy" at Goodyear. Cause I saved 400 bucks by doing that and in turn I bought my kids birthday gifts. Cause that's where my fucken values are at.
without getting into the whole immigration debate, which is a can of worms, it sounds like he's got the American thing down pat no matter what his heritage or place of origin. good for him i hope he does well

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Back in the day when most cars still had rear drum brakes that you had to arc to get to fit right, brake jobs were more challenging and you needed an actual mechanic to get it right. Now that we have disk brakes all around it's super easy and as a result all tire stores have turned brake jobs into a profit center. Thumbs up hunting down a good bargain.

I still do my own brakes, even though it drives my wife nuts. But hey, every two brake jobs I do myself is worth a Burkheimer fly rod.

I'm more than happy to set the price vs value/values thing aside. I could pretty much tell when I wrote it that is was a potential can of worms. If I knew Swimmy I would have called him for some side-stepping tips so I could write something similar to what he wrote earlier "Let's not get too carried away, I don't really care about climate change or social equity. I just love to broadcast my virtue on the internet." Thumbs up on that one too.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I just found an orvis shirt in my closet. In fact I am wearing it right now. It does fit a little bit loose but I like them to because it makes it easier to move around. Mostly I only buy fishing shirts these days because they're the only shirts that have pockets big enough for my phone.

It's interesting how your view of the world changes once you're on a fixed income for most of the time.

DrHare

The Coho King
Orvis from the start, but they quit making good products or switch the good ones out to junkier foreign or china models. No more 2 pc rods (as others), broke several new 4 piece rods where I have 20 yr old rods that are better...braided leaders gone to the past and they were the only joint that sold them.....top line waders made in china and heavy and bulky when prior versions good. They fail to listen to customers advise to stick with good items and constantly change....and never go back to good models.

I do still like their top level large arbor reels. Always easy to work with. Perkins should be given a the gold medal award for the Battenkills (the older English made versions of course!).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts