Some help with bigger bugs/streamers?

S.O.S.Canada

paralysis via analysis
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I primarily fish a spey rod. If not, I fish a light SH for small splake, brookies, browns and bows.
I have an old St. Croix Imperial 6 weight I'd now like to use to do more bass fishing in lakes this summer. It currently has a matching 6WF floating line on the reel.
If I am going to be throwing bigger/heavier poppers/streamers than I'm used to do I need a heavier line to make things easier or just need to get used to the difference in the feel?
I found it more difficult to cast than I thought it should be when trying it out but I am not a great caster to begin with.
How long a leader do you suggest with poppers? Thought maybe too long was part of my problem.
Also, Is there a intermediate or sinking line that someone could recommend for getting steamers down fairly quickly?
Thanks all.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I used a 6wt for many years but it just never seemed big enough, and we deal with wind. I picked up an 8 wt. last year and it makes it easy. And I used to fish 7.5' or + tapered leaders. Following the guys advise I'm down to 2-6' of anywhere from #8-12 ultragreen. It's working better but I'm still a novice at the game. I have orvis bankshots float and sink tip and a gallop/airflo? sinking streamer line but I don't have any recommendations, just in the snake you never know how deep the fish will be on that day.

moon1284

I agree with above, get an 8 weight. Shorter heavier leader. Any bass bug line would be fine. I dont like ambush, obs, etc. for overhead casting especially and honestly I don't like those lines for anything but they are pretty popular and lots of guys use them.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I personally like the integrated shooting head lines for SH casting with streamers.
There are a lot of options out there like the SA Sonar Titan series, Rio Outbound Short, Cortland Compact, Airflo 40+ etc.
You might also look at some dedicated streamer lines like the Airflo Streamer Max Short and Long.
There are a lot of differences in 6 wts that are out there, but most modern 6’s are a good choice for streamer fishing provided the patterns you are using aren’t huge.
Good luck in your search.
SF

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
You're on the right track. 8wt, short leader, aggressively tapered fly lines. For all of my streamer fishing I fish some sort of integrated shooting head designed to turn over large flies. I'm partial to SA Titan Sonar lines but I'm started playing around with some of the Cortland Compact lines. Depending on how deep you're wanting to fish will depend on which sink rate you use. I always have at least two rods in the boat. An intermediate & type 4 with a spare spool of a type 6+ and a spare spool of a floater (although, often, the intermediate will work great with poppers). I'm also rarely using anything less than 12lb for bass. If I were throwing poppers like @b_illymac does, I'd probably use 20-25lb on the terminal end (5-7' total leader length). The fish you're targeting are not going to be leader shy, so why mess around?

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Also a fan of the Titan Sonar series.
One thing I'd add: super heavy leader for poppers is fine, but if you use >15 lb for subsurface, you can find yourself unintentionally anchored! That can be a PITA if you're in a small watercraft where it's hard to get leverage.

Last edited:

S.O.S.Canada

paralysis via analysis
Thanks for the feedback and thorough explanations as to the what and why gentlemen.
Makes sense to me and gives me a solid starting point for sure.
Time to stash away a bit of coin and start watching the classifieds for that 8 I suppose, haven't added a rod to the collection for a good while.
I hope you guys won't mind weighing in again at a later date with some tips when I inevitably end up revisiting the thread with more specific questions as my understanding(or lack of) and interest in these styles of fishing increases.
Thanks again.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the feedback and thorough explanations as to the what and why gentlemen.
Makes sense to me and gives me a solid starting point for sure.
Time to stash away a bit of coin and start watching the classifieds for that 8 I suppose, haven't added a rod to the collection for a good while.
I hope you guys won't mind weighing in again at a later date with some tips when I inevitably end up revisiting the thread with more specific questions as my understanding(or lack of) and interest in these styles of fishing increases.
Thanks again.
Thanks for bringing it up, I watch and learn these when these threads come along.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Also a fan of the Titan Sonar series.
One thing I'd add: super heavy leader for poppers is fine, but if you use >15 lb for subsurface, you can find yourself unintentionally anchored! That can be a PITA if you're in a small watercraft where it's hard to get leverage.

That's a good point. I'll also add, that usually, it's pretty easy to get your fly back. first, stop strip setting on that log (trust me, I've done my fair share....and with 40lb), then row to the opposite side of the obstruction with slack in your line, it'll pop right out (99% of the time).

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
no association with the seller, but here's an 8wt in the classifieds that would get you into the game for pretty cheap. I have the 9wt and it's a solid stick...

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Just depends on your popper size. Small poppers can be thrown with a 5 wt. Big stuff...well I use a 10 wt 8 foot 3 inch Redington Predator as my big stuff rod with a redfish airflow floating taper line...

I fish bass primarily with 2 rods (6wt and 8wt). 1 being a 6wt. Hardy Pro Axis 9’ 6wt. With either a Behemoth reel with Rio Outbound Short Coldwater WF6F, or Lamson Vanquish with Outbound Short intermediate (for streamers). I like the Outbound Short for casting bigger poppers (like a Rainy’s Rattlin from size 2). For leaders I make my own with a 40# butt, and 25# tippet of Berkeley Trilene Big Game Line. This lets me pull fish out of the weeds, and put the brakes on them if they run for submerged trees. Also turns the big poppers over for me nicely.

Just reading threads, seen this most likely a little late but the Rio sink tips are a pretty decent tip for the money I run a Fast and Extra fast I believe a 4 ips and 7 ips but I could be off on those exact numbers. But they get down very nicely even in faster currents.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts