New Ride and a crazy test drive story

the_grube

I've been working with a salesman to get a boat configured the way I want. It's been a bit of a struggle from the get go.. boats and motors are in short supply. So we finally get the hull, trailer and motor package together that I'm interested in buying: a 16'9" x 7'4" custom built shallow V-hull on a galvy trailer with a new Merc 60hp and the big tiller setup. I finally get the time free to go take a shakedown cruise (work has been a 70hr/week affair the last month). I get to the dealer, see the boat in the lot and go 'yup, that's it, unless it runs like a dog that's going home with me today'

We drag it to a local lake and set off. 2min into the cruise, we literally just get up on plane when the engine dies and won't restart. Then, to make things worse, we wind up getting blown into a rock retaining wall, and in spite of our best efforts the hull suffers 4 dings that chip off some paint. Help arrives, they bring a small gas tank and we finish the cruise. The boat gets up on plane like a cork and handles like a dream.

Later back at the shop I talk to the sales person. I give 'em the straight up: "I'm really disapointed in what happened today: scratches on the new hull, an hour and a half wasted in my day, and I have to make the 3hr round trip again after your shop fixes the fuel line. But I won't lie to you. I'm going to buy this boat one way or the other". The salesperson was freaking awesome and gave me $400.00 in store credit, plus a new boat buyer discount; all in all over $500.00 of free stuff.

I'm disappointed that the boat isn't in my driveway tonight, and that my new toy is already scratched. But, I picked out a replacement prop and bushing, several really nice 3/8 lines, a trolling plate and a few other odds and ends. And, heck, now I don't have to be responsible for the first scratches on the hull.

I plan to take Th off, go pick it up and put in as many of the 10 break-in hours as I can.

the_grube

Boat fishes really well. The 88inches of beam is really nice... no pics from the trip but my buddy did pick up a nice 15in rainbow on a Pheasant tail nymph. The maiden voyage wasn't a skunk

ianpadron

Sweet boat, those RH V hulls are pretty slick with props OR jets. Only scratch that sucks is the first one, now you're ready to run that thing like you stole it!

the_grube

Sweet boat, those RH V hulls are pretty slick with props OR jets. Only scratch that sucks is the first one, now you're ready to run that thing like you stole it!
ya, would love to put a 80hp jet on it and be able to run the Umpqua and other systems with it, but I'll stick with rafts and floating for that stuff. This boat is mostly for chasing trout and some bass on lakes, and an occasional trip to the coast to fish salmon in brackish and or salt water.

Here's a video I took of running about 3/4 throttle at Diamond lake the other day

The tiller gets a bit hard running fast into winds that quarter across the bow, but other than that this thing exceeds my expectations for handling and performance

Jeff Dodd

Looks like a great boat!

I sold my saltwater boat and picked up a small 15’ Modified V Jon boat. First trip out during Yamaha 25hp engine break-in, the boat and lower unit hit a price of steel that must have been just inches below the waterline. The tunnel hull fed the hazard right to the skeg/prop.

I feel your pain! And I’m over it now too, after a prop rebuild!

jangles

Kicked
Hell thats nothing . My 18' Jon fell off its trailer coming up a hill (not road) hill from the edge of a lake , think 35 degrees with boulders ,three weeks ago . I got it back this past Monday and still runs great . Nobody took a thing out of it ! The only thing that happened to it was a four inch crack running horizontal just under the motor .

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts