Shingles

Sportsman

Man it sucks getting old!
It ain't for bitches! But using common sense can make it much better. I'm having my left hip replaced 6/16 and will be missing the summer season. But I'll be kicking ass in September. 2+ decades in the gulf of AK took it's toll, but no regrets.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
I have had shingles twice; I was 40 the first time. I do not want to get it a third time! I started begging for the shingles vaccine over a decade ago when I hit 50. Next week, I will finally be fully vaccinated!

Get the vaccine! Even the worst side effects are way better than getting shingles!

jesse clark

Seems to me that there was a deal that people who had commercial insurance (advantage plan or others) could get the shot at a reduced rate? I have medicare and Health-Net. Any thoughts about that?

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
Crazy story. The day l knew I had a serious problem was when the pain became excruciating and couldn't get into the regular doc till the next day so wife took me to the local hospital emergency room. Took my temp and blood pressure and told me to have a seat in the waiting room. So I sat, in pain waiting. It was busy and at one point a nurae announced room was at capacity so anyone not a patient had to leave. My wife sat in the car. One guy almost croaked and nurses came out to work on him. Incoming ambulances were lined up outside like lunch time at a McDonalds drive thru. 5 hours later I went up to the window and said I'm not waiting anymore. There were people here worse off than me and I wasn't gonna die tonight so bye bye. She said wait, I have form for you to sign. She left and 2 minutes later when she didn't come back I left too. Went home and loaded up on Ibuprofen. Almost forgot, During that 5 hrs one ambulance came in and then brought their patient into the general waiting room and took an old gal off the gurney and put her into one of those cold hard chairs and left her there to wait. That's what finally made start deciding it was time to leave. Hope she came out ok.

gt

Seems to me that there was a deal that people who had commercial insurance (advantage plan or others) could get the shot at a reduced rate? I have medicare and Health-Net. Any thoughts about that?
right, i didn't pay anything for the shots.

gt

Crazy story. The day l knew I had a serious problem was when the pain became excruciating and couldn't get into the regular doc till the next day so wife took me to the local hospital emergency room. Took my temp and blood pressure and told me to have a seat in the waiting room. So I sat, in pain waiting. It was busy and at one point a nurae announced room was at capacity so anyone not a patient had to leave. My wife sat in the car. One guy almost croaked and nurses came out to work on him. Incoming ambulances were lined up outside like lunch time at a McDonalds drive thru. 5 hours later I went up to the window and said I'm not waiting anymore. There were people here worse off than me and I wasn't gonna die tonight so bye bye. She said wait, I have form for you to sign. She left and 2 minutes later when she didn't come back I left too. Went home and loaded up on Ibuprofen. Almost forgot, During that 5 hrs one ambulance came in and then brought their patient into the general waiting room and took an old gal off the gurney and put her into one of those cold hard chairs and left her there to wait. That's what finally made start deciding it was time to leave. Hope she came out ok.
yep, ERs are never easy. i had to go in when my cancer was first diagnosed, i was about to collapse. but it was the weekend of the bicycle ride up to hurricane ridge. that meant people were flying downhill, many out of control. so while i sat and waited, people were coming in with broken limbs. after about 3 hours, i went up to the admitting person and told her i was about to collapse. she finally got and ER nurse to come out and the guy asked how i was doing. i told him in another 10 minutes you will be picking me up off the floor. he put me in a wheelchair and took me in. what a rotten experience. then when i was a part of the Tcell research trial, i was transported to Udub hospital ER. they asked who my doc was, i told them and they immediately took me to a room. the hallways were jam packed with people on beds waiting. guess Jimmy Wu, MD had some pull there. after those two experiences, i avoid ERs like the virus!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Back around November of last year and perhaps earlier than that I developed an area on my torso that was sensitive to touch with a reaction like that of a bad sunburn. It was hard to describe and at first I thought I had overstretched something. But then slowly it started to spread until it affected most of my upper torso and began working it's way up my scalp. I set up a zoom call with my doctor and told her what was going on. She set up a blood draw but no definite cause revealed itself and for better or worse I had kind of learned to live with it.

On January 20th my symptoms began to ease and by the evening of the 21st they were completely gone. What a coincidence?

Porter

The shot is a pain in the arm, but that is all. And about 24 hours. Second one was less time . I’m willing to do that for the things I have witnessed!

Sportsman

Anyone still on the fence about side effects or cost only needs to read the above posts. Just like a flu shot, it can't cause you to get the disease. Why take the risk?

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
My daughter's father-in-law was hit with a severe case of shingles in early November. In addition to dreadful pain he was unlucky enough to have a rare complication resulting in total paralysis of his right arm and hand. Now, 7 months later, he is just beginning to regain some movement in the limb. That's movement, not use. The muscles have atrophied, he has contractures of the hand, and a long period of rehab ahead.

Shingles isn't to be ignored.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
Had Shingles several years ago now and was blessed with this;
It will never go away. :(
Sometimes, I'd like to tear my ear of or dig a tablespoon sized hole in my temple.:eek:
Sad to hear but good information to know. This is day 40. I'm off the opiates for 5 days but still on the gabapentin (I call it gabby penguins) and trying to reduce amount of that but still have a lot of numbness. Feel fortunate its only on my leg and not elsewhere..

• Sad
Reactions: Zak

Tom Bowden

I had a miserable three weeks a few years ago, with shingles on my stomach. It pales in comparison to my brother, who had it in his eye. He lost much of his vision in one eye, and for the last 15 years goes to an Ophthalmologist every 60 days, with 2-3 shots in his eye each year.

I read that chicken pox and shingles are the same virus. Those of us who had chicken pox as kids - almost all of us baby boomers - are at high risk for shingles. The chicken pox vaccine didn't come out until 1995. Get the chicken pox vaccine for your kids, so they don't have to suffer with shingles later in life.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts