Stepping down during the swing??

JACKspASS

There are times I will hold a loop of slack and when additional depth is needed I will feed this line on the swing to gain more depth. Sometimes steelhead like a dead drift, other times,they like something swung that they can chase/follow, and every so often it don't matter. Imparting m9vement to your fly in a controlled manner will get you the fish others pass by

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Anything that keeps you moving & covering more water is a good thing. The other thing that doesn't show in the YouTube vids is those people fish A LOT, which ultimately is the most important thing you can do.

vader

I will start with stepping down after the swing, before next cast. I will cast then nend. If I need to get fly deeper change angle of cast, and stack mend. It I need to get deeper then I will do all the mending then step down. Not sure if it helps because trying to step down after mend cause me to stumble. When I gather myself the fly is already on the hang down, urg.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
I just throw it out there. Move long WIFH the river!!!!!! Move long WITH the current!!!! You need to throw impressive distances to be relevant in Big Name locations. And then need to move WITH the river!!!!! Move long with the current!!! Always assume the right o'way!!!!!
@Jim Travers low holes people from upstream. Now that's asserting your dominance.

Anything that keeps you moving & covering more water is a good thing. The other thing that doesn't show in the YouTube vids is those people fish A LOT, which ultimately is the most important thing you can do.
I like and appreciate all these replies; thank you ! But this is what I was ultimately mining for I guess. I fish some rivers in winter with odd-sized boulders that are covered in moss (then waxed, buffed, a layer of ice, soap, and oil added). Negotiating these boulders is like sending pitch 15 of the Dawn Wall. If I could "start early" and buy more time, that will get me more actual fishing time. I appreciate all your help so much. I can't state that strong enough. Dave Smith

O' Clarkii Stomias

I like and appreciate all these replies; thank you ! But this is what I was ultimately mining for I guess. I fish some rivers in winter with odd-sized boulders that are covered in moss (then waxed, buffed, a layer of ice, soap, and oil added). Negotiating these boulders is like sending pitch 15 of the Dawn Wall. If I could "start early" and buy more time, that will get me more actual fishing time. I appreciate all your help so much. I can't state that strong enough. Dave Smith
When fishing water as you describe, I adopt a casting station mentality. Get into position, make a short cast, a mid length cast, then a long cast. Move to next position down stream and repeat. Slip line into cast as needed to sink line and fly. Your lower hand is your friend in managing cast length and line to slip.

dustinchromers

Here is the simple version.

Step during the swing to save a mend sometimes and to gain more depth. You can also step to keep the fly in slot water. Much to the chagrin of hardcore swing fishers like myself a dead drifted fly is the most effective presentation for winter steelhead. Walking with the fly in a slot roughly achieves this.

Do not step during the swing if you are finding bottom. Step between casts to avoid a tip change and keep the fly mid column. You can also manipulate a long rod to follow or hinge the presentation depending on what is desired. The hinge speeds the swing and shallows the fly. The follow runs deeper and approximates a more dead drift grease line presentation. Both are effective when tailored to the water, temp, season, and fish.

Nooksack Mac

I still have to resist my tendency to cast/step down while swinging/twitch a time or two in the dangle/repeat. Doing several things at the same time may seem more efficient, but it conflicts with what I go fishing for. Do I want to fish, with my mind and senses as well as my hands and feet, or do I want to let my line, leader and fly do the fishing?

When I'm stepping down, I want to be doing only that. As I age, my balance is less dependable than before. I'm usually employing a wading staff, which works great, but doesn't drive itself. And as to the actual act of fishing a cast: we like to think that the the fish will always smash the fly in a kamikaze attack, but fish also gingerly mouth a fly that has its attention. So we must be as attentive as a loyal sentry. And as a Zen issue, don't we want to be fully in the moment during the time that the fly is swinging?

jangles

Kicked
I saw a guy on the ________ river waving and wiggling and slapping his rod around like , well like something and was wondering WTH he was doing .

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts