Bull

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
This has been a long time in the making. I started this as a late night sketch over a year ago. Gave up on it a few times, kept coming back. Many nights later it turned into this. Lots of digital brush strokes, lots of working and reworking stuff. My goal was to put as much focus into the environment as I could without detracting from the Bull Trout as the focal point. Overall, excited with how this one turned out! IG @riverforged Bull Trout Timber Web S.png

Mike22

Curious what/if you used reference photos for the environment/underwater structure, looks incredible.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
Thanks! Not much at all. Started off as a quick drawing out of my head, and I just kept working and reworking it until things looked right. I always flip through old fishing photos for inspiration when I'm painting fish or environments, but this was the first time doing a full underwater scene from scratch. My wife and I spent some time snorkeling around some streams in WA, so those experiences were definitely helpful.

Mike22

The underwater light and shadows are stunning.

I also appreciate the palette you used for the bull, their colors vary so much depending on region and time of year.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
The underwater light and shadows are stunning.

I also appreciate the palette you used for the bull, their colors vary so much depending on region and time of year.
Thanks! Yeah, they are such a cool fish! Lots of variety in them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts