Poachers

mcswny

I helped get one today I think. Bro took two fish and kept going, that's all I needed to see. Called the hotline and co. sheriff. Saw official vehicles as I drove out.
I have genuine question.
If you're fishing a stocked stream, and you limit out (or any stream that allows retention for that matter). Are you able to keep fishing with a barbless hook and just catch and release? Or from a LEO's pov, they can't prove you catching and releasing so it's just a no-go?

Buzzy

I have genuine question.
If you're fishing a stocked stream, and you limit out (or any stream that allows retention for that matter). Are you able to keep fishing with a barbless hook and just catch and release? Or from a LEO's pov, they can't prove you catching and releasing so it's just a no-go?
I know you're asking MGTom this question and I thought I knew the answer. But after scanning and using control F on the regs to try and find out if you can "catch and release" trout after retaining your limit, I gave up. Here's is what I found in the Statewide General Rules under YOU MAY NOT: "Continue to fish for salmon after the adult portion of the daily limit has been retained."

I thought for sure there was a similar rule for trout (and I think there should be) but if so, this rule escapes me.

mcswny

w the answer. But after scanning and using control F on the regs to try and find out if you can "catch an
I know you're asking MGTom this question and I thought I knew the answer. But after scanning and using control F on the regs to try and find out if you can "catch and release" trout after retaining your limit, I gave up. Here's is what I found in the Statewide General Rules under YOU MAY NOT: "Continue to fish for salmon after the adult portion of the daily limit has been retained."

I thought for sure there was a similar rule for trout (and I think there should be) but if so, this rule escapes me.
Hey Buzzy,

Not specifically to MGTom, just anyone. It was more out of curiosity so I appreciate you searching (I very well could have). I very rarely retain trout, but when I do, it's on a river that they pump like 1,000 fish into a week from memorial day to labor day and I have no problem bringing fish home from there. I just want to make sure if I did limit, I'm not breaking the law if I continued to fish.

I think regardless if it's illegal or not, it's still a bad look and makes one look like theyre poaching.

Buzzy

Hey Buzzy,

Not specifically to MGTom, just anyone. It was more out of curiosity so I appreciate you searching (I very well could have). I very rarely retain trout, but when I do, it's on a river that they pump like 1,000 fish into a week from memorial day to labor day and I have no problem bringing fish home from there. I just want to make sure if I did limit, I'm not breaking the law if I continued to fish.
I hope someone will weigh in and give us an answer. I too rarely retain trout but there is a river where at times I will harvest my limit of two - I quit when the second fish is on the stringer.

Buzzy

Hey Buzzy,

I think regardless if it's illegal or not, it's still a bad look and makes one look like theyre poaching.
I found it - under BAIT RULES: BAIT RULES It is unlawful to chum, broadcast, feed, or distribute into freshwater any bait or other substance capable of attracting fish unless specifically authorized in Special Rules. Where use of bait is prohibited, or where lures or flies are used voluntarily, game fish may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained.

Under bait rules....

mcswny

I found it - under BAIT RULES: BAIT RULES It is unlawful to chum, broadcast, feed, or distribute into freshwater any bait or other substance capable of attracting fish unless specifically authorized in Special Rules. Where use of bait is prohibited, or where lures or flies are used voluntarily, game fish may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained.

Under bait rules....
This was my guess, I appreciate you doing the digging.

Sportsman

I have genuine question.
The obvious question is why would you? Just release them until you want to take home your ‘stringer’ of fish. If only we could cull trout like bass.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
I have genuine question.
Also, just FYI, but I don't know of any "stocked" streams, at least around here. ESA listings ended all that. Most river fish are wild. Once and a while I'll find a clipped fish, from the salmon or steelhead programs, that didn't migrate, and that would be stocked.

mcswny

Also, just FYI, but I don't know of any "stocked" streams, at least around here. ESA listings ended all that. Most river fish are wild. Once and a while I'll find a clipped fish, from the salmon or steelhead programs, that didn't migrate, and that would be stocked.
I’m down in oregon :)
There’s two very heavily stocked streams relatively close to me.

speedbird49

Are there populations of non migrating salmon?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Are there populations of non migrating salmon?
According to the folks at WDFW spokane, a small percentage of the fish that are supposed to go to the ocean stay put. Some of the male spring chinook plants especially, from what I've been told, have a tendency to stay put, especially if food is plentiful. Some of the steelhead plants may stay, and some of the native rebands may up and migrate.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts