Poachers

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
So yesterday, I roll into a rough launch area on the Skagit to do a little fishing at the crack of dawn and less than 60 seconds later a WDFW officer shows up. We had a nice little chat, got his card, and found out he lives close to @KerryS. Good place for him I'd say...:)

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
I wish they would do that in my area. This is from 2 different systems. The snag gear was at a spot with signs up saying it's closed to fishing. The power bait is a river closed to retention. I have been sending to the TIP Hotline and hearing nothing back. I didn't have my phone at the time but saw knife cut harvested fish in a no harvest river. I need to start beating people up again. This is why I hate people so much. If you are a snagger look out for my bald brown head, you might get your ass beat. IMG_20210919_133848714.jpg IMG_20210919_133113305.jpg IMG_20210911_093233718_HDR.jpg
Yeah I know.... Great way to get shot, everyone says that and here I stand..#fuckasnagger

KerryS

Ignored Member
So yesterday, I roll into a rough launch area on the Skagit to do a little fishing at the crack of dawn and less than 60 seconds later a WDFW officer shows up. We had a nice little chat, got his card, and found out he lives close to @KerryS. Good place for him I'd say...:)
Cool, didn’t know we had a WDFW cop up here among the millionaires, meth heads, old veterans and broken down steelheaders. There is also a Sedro Woolley officer and a Skagit County Sheriff deputy up here. An eclectic neighborhood.

vader

River closures means it is open for poachers. Last time I fished the n.f. Stilly, we walked to a run were poachers were. Once they saw us they left. If the river was closed the poachers would have had a great day.
Worst part is that they would brag how awesome they are at fishing.

vader

I wish they would do that in my area. This is from 2 different systems. The snag gear was at a spot with signs up saying it's closed to fishing. The power bait is a river closed to retention. I have been sending to the TIP Hotline and hearing nothing back. I didn't have my phone at the time but saw knife cut harvested fish in a no harvest river. I need to start beating people up again. This is why I hate people so much. If you are a snagger look out for my bald brown head, you might get your ass beat. View attachment 295978 View attachment 295979 View attachment 295980
Yeah I know.... Great way to get shot, everyone says that and here I stand..#fuckasnagger
Couple of cycles ago of pinks and fishing the green. I was at a run and a gut was on other side. He would toss gear all the way to my side. I saw that it was a triple hook, he would rip it through the run, then run off.

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
Couple of cycles ago of pinks and fishing the green. I was at a run and a gut was on other side. He would toss gear all the way to my side. I saw that it was a triple hook, he would rip it through the run, then run off.
The last time I went to the green was about 5 years ago I saw every last person there snagging fish and one dude walking out with the biggest king I've ever seen in my life with the biggest adipose fin walks passed the hatchery guys that are telling him he can't retain unclipped fish. He didn't know it was wild because of the fist sized adipose fin. Any time a person tries to fish anywhere near people who are trying to snag fish basically had their day fucked by these people because nothing is going to bite after the hooks start flying. It seems that this is an acceptable way to "fish" from WDFW as they don't do anything to stop it. Why pay for a license if I can't go to a system with a hatchery and fish without this and why can't we get more eyes out there. There's so many more people fishing than in years passed that there is definitely more money being generated but less enforcement, less everything. I'm tired of paying for the upper management of the department of fish and wildlife's bonus' and raises. You are a public servant, why do you make 6 figures to do absolutely nothing

Divad

Swinger
The last time I went to the green was about 5 years ago I saw every last person there snagging fish and one dude walking out with the biggest king I've ever seen in my life with the biggest adipose fin walks passed the hatchery guys that are telling him he can't retain unclipped fish. He didn't know it was wild because of the fist sized adipose fin. Any time a person tries to fish anywhere near people who are trying to snag fish basically had their day fucked by these people because nothing is going to bite after the hooks start flying. It seems that this is an acceptable way to "fish" from WDFW as they don't do anything to stop it. Why pay for a license if I can't go to a system with a hatchery and fish without this and why can't we get more eyes out there. There's so many more people fishing than in years passed that there is definitely more money being generated but less enforcement, less everything. I'm tired of paying for the upper management of the department of fish and wildlife's bonus' and raises. You are a public servant, why do you make 6 figures to do absolutely nothing

Enforcement as you speak is a budgeting issue, of which at a certain level of govt turns political. Welcome to Washington.

In the meantime, collate your grievances and become friends with your local officers. Stop at the hatcheries, call around and you’ll become a “trusted word” for them. If they don’t know your first name you aren’t there yet.

In the short term these relationships will drastically help. Been doing it for years on our my local OP rivers.

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
Enforcement as you speak is a budgeting issue, of which at a certain level of govt turns political. Welcome to Washington.

In the meantime, collate your grievances and become friends with your local officers. Stop at the hatcheries, call around and you’ll become a “trusted word” for them. If they don’t know your first name you aren’t there yet.

In the short term these relationships will drastically help. Been doing it for years on our my local OP rivers.
I have been pushed out from trying to fish on a river that has a hatchery run because of the amount of people fishing in a harvest river and the amount of people that fish illegally. So hanging out where there are piles of people is not my thing. I'm more of a trusted eye out in the middle of BFE. This to me is the more important area to patrol as there are less people. The department of fish and wildlife cannot even maintain the places that are the easiest to access with the largest concentration of people at them. Every year it's the same shit, fish come in poachers come out to that hatchery to snag. What's the fucking problem, it doesn't take a wizard to figure out ya need to check in on it. Is there only 1 enforcement officer for the entirety of Washington? My point exactly on the "budget" statement, why is a public servant making that much money hanging out in a office doing shit. The officer that's out there doing the real work is the one who should have more monies available to support he or she. Voting doesn't do shit. Everyone that goes into upper management for wdfw has the same interest....... money and that's it. Or to further their political careers. The animals are dead last in importance.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Jay, do you realize that they are also out enforcing small game and big game hunting, upland bird and waterfowl hunting? They are pulled from a thousand different directions every day.
Maybe you should join their forces and become a WDFW enforcement officer.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
My son was working on that just before COVID hit. They are relying on him heavily at his current law enforcement job right now however.
Lately I've been wondering about a river keeper system. I don't really know the English system, but someone like me who's on the river a lot and can keep an eye on the river, poachers, dumping, spills, clean up, water quality monitoring ect.

dustinchromers

Jay, do you realize that they are also out enforcing small game and big game hunting, upland bird and waterfowl hunting? They are pulled from a thousand different directions every day.

The last time I called in a poacher I had to explain to the officer where a popular boat launch was. I've also witnessed flagrant violations happening real time as my barbs were being checked, spoke to it, and was basically told to not participate in doing their job. So it didn't get done. Those guys were in the same spot packing off kings all season. No citations issued that I know of. But they were big scary redneck types so you probably want backup I guess. I personally think you're more likely to attract attention if you look friendly and like you can pay a petty ticket. This is just my experience. Also my experience is witnessing major game crime go nearly unpunished in court so that could be a root to officer apathy as well. Then on the other hand I've seen some very responsive officer action concerning illegal hunting. I reported this once from the field and the guy was right on it. He left his card and cell number and invited me to keep an eye out. If that guy was in my area I doubt the snaggers would be so casual.

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Well shit. I'm pissed. Took a box of weekend meals the neighbor made over to a friend. He's kinda house/ yard bound, and lives near where I saw the poacher.
20210923_110132.jpg
20210924_094019.jpg
Still don't know the disposition, but we now have a set of eyes, who's friends with the sheriffs office, to keep watch. He only lives about 40 yards from the river with a great view. This is not normal at all.

Matt B

WFF Premium
Well shit. I'm pissed. Took a box of weekend meals the neighbor made over to a friend. He's kinda house/ yard bound, and lives near where I saw the poacher.
View attachment 296193
View attachment 296194
Still don't know the disposition, but we now have a set of eyes, who's friends with the sheriffs office, to keep watch. He only lives about 40 yards from the river with a great view. This is not normal at all.
Bait hooks ripped out of their guts or what?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts