June is the best

Swimmy

Got out for one more round. Fish were keyed in on Yellow Sallies. Lots of action, no hawgs.

Here are my two buddies in my boat working our most productive run.

DSC_3464.jpg

Bowbonehead

As our local rivers are still in run-off mode and too colored to fish I made a trip out to a mountain lake to spend a few days chasing rainbows Full report in the trip forum I really like June but am looking forward to July and getting on the flowing waters as they become fish-able around here ....hopefully by next week!

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Back home now. Came straight through yesterday, 14 hrs on the road. Left a day early because of...wind. It was windy at 4:30 AM so I just started packing up and managed to get on the road a few hours later.

As @Swimmy would say, the whole trip was stellar! First five days were at Henrys Lake ID. First fish to come to hand was a rainbow longer than my 20" scale on the stripping apron. I figured we were in for it then but that was the largest fish for me from the lake. Had to settle for 20s and 18s. :)

On to Montana! Met up with Swimmy and did a precursor evening float. He showed us the ropes and coached us on the technique we needed to bring those trophies to the net. Casting the big bugs is the easy part. Line control and quick reflexes is the hard part. (next trip I'll over line by one weight and cut five feet off the front taper) We got lots of eats, a few hook ups and thoroughly enjoyed the non stop intensity of the style of fishing we were doing. As my friend said, "I never had such a great time catching so few fish in my life!" He is now addicted.

As I mentioned before, Swimmy was an excellent host and shared everything he could with us that we might require. As it turns out, the friend I took with me grew up with friends of a family that Swimmy lived with here in Washington and remembers Skagit Anglers and my buddy that worked there.

On our own @Salmo_g and I, using Swimmy's raft continued working the big bugs for big fish for two more days. Then we took our personal craft up to the wade fishing only section and fished from the bank. Not being a trout fisherman per se, Salmo gave me a few tips on how to be a dirty azz nympher which I put to good use on the following, and last day I fished bringing a dozen fish to hand. on a crack of dawn start on a solo float.

Points and ponders in no particular order:

• Viewing the stars again from high elevation and no light pollution.
  • The Madison is being loved to death. I'm guilty.
  • More fly shops and guides than you can shake a rod at. It's like an infestation.
  • I liked dirty azz nymphing! What's next? Beads?
  • I loved salmon fly dries!
  • Caught the largest Brook Trout of my life.
  • Apparently, when you cross the border into WA you become dumber and are no longer allowed to drive 80 or 85mph. Or, 70mph on two laners.
  • 104 degrees in Wallace ID and someone flipped up the winter time "Bridge May Be Icy" signs. :D
  • 109 degrees climbing out of the Columbia Gorge. 63 degrees at the summit of Steven's Pass.
  • All the crazy drivers on I5 live in Arlington and southward. Once I cleared it, the chaos ended.
  • Good to be home, but wishing I wasn't.
  • Time to ready up for a July trip to somewhere.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Home from Ennis last night by 8:30. Wasn't planning to drive straight through, but kinda' got that horse heading for the barn thing. Felt that WA heat wave arrive in MT. 103 when I got to St Regis, then 109 just west of there, and 111 in Spokane, then dropped to 87 in Cle Elum, but it was almost evening then. And 72 at Snoqualmie Pass.

Woulda' liked to visit and fish with Swimmy more of course, but still a rewarding trip. Checked out some new to me water on the Madison and can hardly believe some of the crazy water trout live in. Another plus side, if you can call it that, I came home with a new fly rod. Yeah, like I really needed another. However, my long preference for more medium action rods wasn't a great mix for tossing large wind resistant salmon fly patterns in windy conditions. Did Swimmy mention that it got a tad windy? Never had a Scott rod before, but now have a 6 wt in Scott's G Series; it's sorta' medium fast, but not stiff as a fireplace poker fast and stiff.

I'll head back over after the hoot owl fishing restrictions are lifted. No point in further stressing the fish that make our lives so fun.

Buzzy

Home from Ennis last night by 8:30. Wasn't planning to drive straight through, but kinda' got that horse heading for the barn thing. Felt that WA heat wave arrive in MT. 103 when I got to St Regis, then 109 just west of there, and 111 in Spokane, then dropped to 87 in Cle Elum, but it was almost evening then. And 72 at Snoqualmie Pass.

Woulda' liked to visit and fish with Swimmy more of course, but still a rewarding trip. Checked out some new to me water on the Madison and can hardly believe some of the crazy water trout live in. Another plus side, if you can call it that, I came home with a new fly rod. Yeah, like I really needed another. However, my long preference for more medium action rods wasn't a great mix for tossing large wind resistant salmon fly patterns in windy conditions. Did Swimmy mention that it got a tad windy? Never had a Scott rod before, but now have a 6 wt in Scott's G Series; it's sorta' medium fast, but not stiff as a fireplace poker fast and stiff.

I'll head back over after the hoot owl fishing restrictions are lifted. No point in further stressing the fish that make our lives so fun.
You and @_WW_ are some long haul truck (Subaru) driving guys. Thanks for sharing your trip reports. More photos would be nice.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts