June is the best

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Also, I might not be much of a trout fisher, but gotta admit there's something about foam lines on a fresh running, clear, yet stained river - that makes me want to string up a trout rod. Someday I might actually own one .

JSDFwlvf_o.gif

SilverFly

Pretty sad, I know. Like most, I started FF for trout but that was a million years ago using my Dad's gear. When I got back into FF many years later, it was all about steelhead - then I caught the saltwater bug. Last count I have close to 20 fly rods ranging from 7 through 14wt. I suppose I could count the pair of cheapo 4wt outfits for taking kids bluegill fishing, but nothing I would plan a legit trout fishing trip around.... Although, my ample carcass stuffed into tuna blood-stained waders and carrying a WalMart flyrod might make quite the statement on the Madison!

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Switched it up and went for a hike with the Mrs. today. We cruised a beautiful high mountain park/meadow.

DSC_3219.jpg

There was a killer stream that cut right through the middle. I saw fish up to 8". So wished I had a 2 wt.

DSC_3226.jpg

On the way out, this piece caught my eye. When I think of fishing in Montana, this is what comes to mind. Absolutely incredible and I can't wait to get back in there and see what's holding in some of those cut banks.

DSC_3251.jpg

Tomorrow we are out for a short drift lower in the system to see if we can get back into the big bugs. Then it's back to reality for a bit.

Buzzy

Switched it up and went for a hike with the Mrs. today. We cruised a beautiful high mountain park/meadow.

DSC_3219.jpg

There was a killer stream that cut right through the middle. I saw fish up to 8". So wished I had a 2 wt.

DSC_3226.jpg

On the way out, this piece caught my eye. When I think of fishing in Montana, this is what comes to mind. Absolutely incredible and I can't wait to get back in there and see what's holding in some of those cut banks.

DSC_3251.jpg

Tomorrow we are out for a short drift lower in the system to see if we can get back into the big bugs. Then it's back to reality for a bit.
The cut banks are very inviting but the boulder field caught my eye. Fascinating.

Eastside

I can’t meet Swimmy’s standard for scenery but early this week was pretty good on the Deschutes River in Oregon. Here is my camp. No WiFi hotspot or internet, but comfortable sleeping listening to the river and trains that use the tracks in the canyon. Fishing was good. Worked on my Euro nymphing and when I was in the right spot and doing it correctly, catching was good. Broke camp early this morning and fished the Columbia River for shad below John Day Dam. Landed 5 and lost several others in a couple of hours of fishing. The run is building so I’ll fish around home in early July.

Mark
C5B2377E-DD8C-4D7D-BDF5-642794E34D47.jpeg

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Dude, that camp looks sick.

After a week of sitting around, I'm about to kick it back into gear. Have some WFF members in town next week and will be setting up camp on the river for a week or so.

Getting stoked.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I can’t meet Swimmy’s standard for scenery but early this week was pretty good on the Deschutes River in Oregon. Here is my camp. No WiFi hotspot or internet, but comfortable sleeping listening to the river and trains that use the tracks in the canyon. Fishing was good. Worked on my Euro nymphing and when I was in the right spot and doing it correctly, catching was good. Broke camp early this morning and fished the Columbia River for shad below John Day Dam. Landed 5 and lost several others in a couple of hours of fishing. The run is building so I’ll fish around home in early July.

Mark
View attachment 285661

How was the crowd at the JD dam? The numbers are so good right now I'm afraid it will be a $hit show...

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Although it can’t quite match the beauty of late Spring in MT, June can still be quite enjoyable fishing the beaches in western Washington. A bit of a shoulder season between chum fry and salmon returning but can still be quite productive. Plus, I think a lot of guys a leave the beaches to hit open west side rivers and lakes. They can have the Cedar and it’s tweekers. I’ll take the quiet beaches I had this past weekend, curious seals as fishing partners and a handful of pretty SRC.

16961FF2-722B-4485-8F74-9518C342388D.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts