Shore Fishing From Lake Crescent

speedbird49

I have family from overseas visiting who are planning a trip to the peninsula and Lake Crescent was considered a great place to show them around. My 13 year old cousin who lives here, absolutely loves fishing. Unfortunately the rest of his family doesn't have that same enthusiasm and so his only experience was trolling off the Edmonds oil docks once without a single bite. Going to lake crescent, I figured this would be a wonderful and rare oppurtunity to give him a welcome to fishing and proper fish handling. Unfortunately, I won't have access to a boat, which is from what I read on this forum, strongly recommended for fishing Lake Crescent. Is Shore fishing at all possible on the lake? For what it is worth, while I plan on casting flies, my cousin will be throwing spinners, and I am not sure if the advice against shore fishing is the same for gear and fly fishermen. Can you guys suggest any other "touristy" spots that take a ferry ride that my non fishing family would enjoy, that also would offer decent opportunities to get my cousin on his first fish? We are also thinking about going to deception pass, and I have heard good things about the Sea Run and Bottom fish you can catch from Shore.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Wilken

I have family from overseas visiting who are planning a trip to the peninsula and Lake Crescent was considered a great place to show them around. My 13 year old cousin who lives here, absolutely loves fishing. Unfortunately the rest of his family doesn't have that same enthusiasm and so his only experience was trolling off the Edmonds oil docks once without a single bite. Going to lake crescent, I figured this would be a wonderful and rare oppurtunity to give him a welcome to fishing and proper fish handling. Unfortunately, I won't have access to a boat, which is from what I read on this forum, strongly recommended for fishing Lake Crescent. Is Shore fishing at all possible on the lake? For what it is worth, while I plan on casting flies, my cousin will be throwing spinners, and I am not sure if the advice against shore fishing is the same for gear and fly fishermen. Can you guys suggest any other "touristy" spots that take a ferry ride that my non fishing family would enjoy, that also would offer decent opportunities to get my cousin on his first fish? We are also thinking about going to deception pass, and I have heard good things about the Sea Run and Bottom fish you can catch from Shore.

Thanks all!
Please read the regs for Lake Crescent before fishing. Also, the resort on the lake might still have boat rentals available, not sure.

Jim M-glass guy

Lake Crescent from my bleak memory can have a significant wind going on. I took a small rowboat I have over there and an electric motor and was fishing for awhile. The wind going back made it so I had to row and have the motor running at the same time to get back. I would not want to get into a situation where only rowing was my only propulsion method. Or maybe you are a much better rower than I. Some of the folks launching their boats were looking at me sorta like.... HUH.... and I just didn't register what they were saying. Maybe its just me but it gets windy there. There were two of us... one rowing and one guiding the motor. Either way it is a very deep and cold lake and the bottom is very clear. That was one time I did have my fish finder working, and it was devoid of fish from where I was and it was from the launch and around by the lodge and then back again. Hope you have better luck than I had. It was fun though and a few years ago.

Timson

Down 101, first right after the store and drive all the way ,looking over the bank. State or feds built a pier.The water is bout 20 feet on the end of said pier. I was there fishing Prince nymphs with no darn indicator. Floating weight forward with 10 foot leader let it sink well . It had a wood table towards the water side,if it's still there .Any "don't tell " Nazis ,sorry. JT

Jeff Dodd

If you turn off 101 on E Beach Rd you’ll find Log Cabin Resort. Give them a call to learn about boat rentals. They have shore access and this is near the head of the Lyre. I recommend using long fluorocarbon leaders and work the shoreline, where trout are stalking. If you’ve got a boat, go a bit N, anchor and fish the flats for wild trout!

Ron McNeal

Let's Go Brandon!!
As others have suggested, get to the North shore trail and you'll find lots of places to fish and it's a neat hike for a 13 year-old. I remember catching a bunch and seeing some really big trout cruising the depths off one of those boulder drop-offs. Have fun. Your cousin will love it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts