Bass are getting hungry.

Tobe Hagge

WFF Supporter
I went out last Monday, and caught this fellow on a popper just before 8:00 am. It was my first time on this stretch of river. Popper action as well as surface activity were dead by about 8:30. The day saw some technical issues, including a broken rod and a mostly useless anchor. Guess I didn't put enough rocks in the bag. On the other hand, there were a ton of fish in some of the deeper, moving sections; bass, salmon, catfish, and carp could at times be seen all swimming together. In addition to the one pictured, I caught three 14-15" bass along with some small ones, and saw a pair of Caspian terns. Next time I'll know to leave myself more time for stopping, bring some sturdier flies, and rods, and rocks, and do better.

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

Replicant

I went out last Monday, and caught this fellow on a popper just before 8:00 am. It was my first time on this stretch of river. Popper action as well as surface activity were dead by about 8:30. The day saw some technical issues, including a broken rod and a mostly useless anchor. Guess I didn't put enough rocks in the bag. On the other hand, there were a ton of fish in some of the deeper, moving sections; bass, salmon, catfish, and carp could at times be seen all swimming together. In addition to the one pictured, I caught three 14-15" bass along with some small ones, and saw a pair of Caspian terns. Next time I'll know to leave myself more time for stopping, bring some sturdier flies, and rods, and rocks, and do better.
I'm seeing catfish in places that I've never seen them before. Every year is different, but this one is a strange one.

Peyton00

Fished my same lake this past weekend. Sunday morning on the water at sunrise. Fish on 1st cast. It was a curse. I worked all types of setups. An occasional fish here and there.
My friend threw spinner baits and had constant action all morning. The dragon flies made an appearance around 630am, i switched up and had a few during the top water action.
I will say my friends constant action was tough to watch. His cast was far out there and boom the water explodes and he repeated it all morning.

Going back this friday nite....the gear rod friend isn't invited. Lol.

Peyton00

Update: my gear rod friend called me and asked if I was fishing. I said I was tonite and his seat was already taken. He said he will straddle a Pontoon if I let him go tonight. LOL. I declined his self invite.

Last edited:

SquatchinSince86

Fickle bass, I think mornings are better than the evenings lately.

My problem (one of many) is scooting up to a juicy spot and plopping my fly right in the middle, than watching the torpedo speed off spooked.

Sometimes it needs to be on their nose, other times just on the table.

@Replicant you have the secret to a successful/fun outing. Light rig, medium smallies...tons of fun.

Replicant

Fickle bass, I think mornings are better than the evenings lately.

My problem (one of many) is scooting up to a juicy spot and plopping my fly right in the middle, than watching the torpedo speed off spooked.

Sometimes it needs to be on their nose, other times just on the table.

@Replicant you have the secret to a successful/fun outing. Light rig, medium smallies...tons of fun.
They are fickle. But I don't think I have a secret. The rod was new to me and I was itching to get it wet. Maybe catch a pikeminnow or two, because usually things are dead at this time of the year in my neck of the woods. It was 107 degrees air temp with water temp at 80. If I was a fish, I'd be sleeping in the depths, but strangely, there was a hatch going on and the smallies were rising for them (in there typically violent nature). I just tossed a small foam hopper into my favorite spot and watched the rod fold in two. Scared the crap out of me, until I realized it's supposed to do that. Fiberglass is new to me. I caught a few more and then changed it over to a streamer and even caught more. Other days at other times, I can see the fish and they just won't budge. Super spooky.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Dawn Patrol from yesterday....found this big girl along with a couple dozen of her smaller friends on my local water.

Yes, glass is a blast...I decided to dust off my Berkley Gowdy Parametric and it performed flawlessly.

lgzLXfu.jpg

VgmqfoC.jpg

Replicant

I'm not done yet, but my stretch of the river is winding down. August rarely produces anything of size, so I was happy to get this guy over Labor Day Weekend. I love fishing for smallies. This guy fought like a beast, and destroyed the fly, with the bead head down the shank and the hook bent out of repair. Most likely my last float for the year, but I'll continue to wade if the water is good.

2A55CF1C-A90D-4685-B86B-D243921FAD1F_1_201_a.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts