A week in Whitefish, MT

kyle

Headed to Whitefish Montana for a week on the 12th. I've never been there before, Are there any can't miss rivers in those parts to drop a fly or should I be looking for lakes in those parts. I'm thinking about bringing my 3wt and 5wt. I'm going for a get-together with family mostly but I'm hoping to get some time to try and catch some fish. If anyone has any pointers for the area it would be much appreciated.
thanks,

Nooksack Mac

I'm tempted to say "You're kidding - right?" Slightly east of Whitefish, around the western border of Glacier National Park, are the North, Middle, and South Forks of the Flathead River. They're all scenic and productive freestone trout streams of long renoun. You should check with fly shops in Whitefish and Kalispell for advice and guide services. Not far to the n.w. is the Kootenai River, which is like a dozen trout rivers in one channel. Check in Libby and Troy for advice and guide service.

bakerite

Great Lake fishing just east of the Rockies on the Blackfoot res. Freestone rivers likely blown out. Check Kootnei. Also a bunch of local Stillwaters that are worth fishing.

jrodell27

Tailing Looper
I'd check out Ben Eisinger's shop in DT Kalispell just down the HWY from Whitefish called True Water Fly Fishing to get more specific info. You could pull a small bit of info from them but worth a look either way. Ben and his staff have been very cool when I've talked to them. They have a newly built building and a nice sized fly shop right off Main. I check it out every time I'm there a couple times a year.

ianpadron

For pure numbers a drive over to the Yaak over in West Kootenai is 100% worth it...some GIANT Brookies in the upper stretches too, no joke.

Forks of the Flathead are epic, as mentioned, but typically high and cold in June.

The Kootenai is controlled by a dam and remains fishable even when other systems are blown out.

Dan Glynn

Go to Lary’s Fly Shop in Columbia Falls, talk to Hillary, and pick up an access map of the Flathead River. You should be able to catch a ton of cuttys wading at the access points. They love purple haze flies.

ribka

Great Lake fishing just east of the Rockies on the Blackfoot res. Freestone rivers likely blown out. Check Kootnei. Also a bunch of local Stillwaters that are worth fishing.
The rez lakes are still shut down

Old Man

A very Old Man
Hillary was one of my students back in the day! Great family!
I have tried that fly but never caught a fish on it. I had a hell of a hit on one but never got to see the fish. Just a yellow flash in the water. Next time I get out I'm going to use it again. Maybe I'll just catch something. It would be a nice change of getting skunked.

ribka

did they recently shut down again. We fished them end of March this year and it was killer
I called the BF Rez in April and said the lakes were still closed to outsiders. Of course being the Rez it depends whom you talk too. It was closed in 2020 and cancelled my trip. If its open I'll head over in Sept thanks

Jmills81

The Dude Abides
I'm 99.9 percent sure they're open. Go try and buy a pass for when you're going and it will work

jwg

Headed to Whitefish Montana for a week on the 12th. I've never been there before, Are there any can't miss rivers in those parts to drop a fly or should I be looking for lakes in those parts. I'm thinking about bringing my 3wt and 5wt. I'm going for a get-together with family mostly but I'm hoping to get some time to try and catch some fish. If anyone has any pointers for the area it would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Report.?

That area interests me .

Jay

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts