A River Runs Though It, the backstory (Wash Post)

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I have read the book a couple of times. I often re-read a book, sometimes three or four times to get a deeper meaning from it. I hadn't heard about the new book. Thanks for posting. I look forward to turning the pages.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
I just saw this today for this first time about “Home Waters”! I had read his earlier book about the wildfires and like his father, he is a good writer. I have this on my list of books to read.

Gyrfalcon21

My high school Algebra book was my worst book I ever read.
Glad it was never made into a movie.

I have a few old flyfishing magazines that I have kept that have really well written stories. I may try and post one here sometime. Many 30+ years old. I look up the authors and usually find they are gone, but can trace down more articles. Even a book, if lucky.

The Hemingways are still on my shelf waiting for me.

Buzzy

Here’s a hot take: A River Runs Through, It was garbage. Possibly top 3 of the worst books I’ve ever read.
I wonder, are you associating Brad Pitt and the flick rather than the novel? Like Steve, I've read A River Runs Through It more than once. I certainly don't read a book I hate more than once. Taste in books, like food, a very individual thing. Eh! ;-)

Saltycutthroat

I wonder, are you associating Brad Pitt and the flick rather than the novel? Like Steve, I've read A River Runs Through It more than once. I certainly don't read a book I hate more than once. Taste in books, like food, a very individual thing. Eh! ;-)
I’ve never seen the movie. To each their own.

Saltycutthroat

Thanks for the "hot take." Obviously you have different tastes in literature than others. Maybe if you read it again once or twice you might get the deeper meaning. :cool:
I agree, my tastes in literature are different than others. Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of the “deeper meaning” I don’t think I’ll be rereading it.
Greatest book I’ve ever read was, The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
I too have read A River Runs Through It twice. I read it before the movie and again afterwards. I did the same thing with Jon Kraukauer’s Into the Wild. And no, it wasn’t the movie that made me start fly fishing. But I certainly did love Brad Pitt in it.

DanielOcean

I agree, my tastes in literature are different than others. Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of the “deeper meaning” I don’t think I’ll be rereading it.
Greatest book I’ve ever read was, The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss.
OH man now that is the SHITTIEST book I have ever read. But I have different tastes. Nothing wrong with that. Now give me a book with some killer pop up pictures and a box of crayons and im happy.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts