How to better see a 4X tippet so I can get it tied to a fly

I am 78 years old, and my eyesight is not the best, especially when I am trying to get a 4X tippet through a hook eye or a tippet ring. I realize it's almost invisible in the water, but I find it very hard to see when putting the tag end into a hook eye or tippet ring, and tying the knot is another issue... Anybody have any suggestions? I tried marking the tag end with a black marker, but that didn't help much...

Looking forward to your suggestions, I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I'm 86 and my fishing has taken a nose dive in that I don't fish as much as I used to. I don't fish with 4X. I use 5X as it is smaller But I still have problems threading my size 18 to 20 size hooks. I also have the problem if shaking a lot. But I keep at it. I have been taking almost 5 minutes to just tie on one fly If I use two flies. Well some times I just say fuck and fish with the one fly.
Old Man, do you fish sizes 18 and 20 a lot? If so, would you share what patterns/bugs you fish that small? For trout in streams, I've fallen into a "size 14 for everything" rut and probably need to up my small fly game. Sometimes I fish size 16 ants but very rarely go smaller.

Thanks!

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Old Man, do you fish sizes 18 and 20 a lot? If so, would you share what patterns/bugs you fish that small? For trout in streams, I've fallen into a "size 14 for everything" rut and probably need to up my small fly game. Sometimes I fish size 16 ants but very rarely go smaller.

Thanks!
Sizes 18 and 20 Black zebra nymphs I use two fly set up when nymphing. When I go fishing I will stop at the local fly shop and ask a few questions to see what they are hitting on and then buy a few of those flies. It doesn't take to long to get a few to stick in a fly box. I can't tie anymore because of my shakes. So every once in a while somebody will send me a few flies.

When I moved to Montana, I gave away all my fly tying junk to a member here. When I need flies I ask him and about 3 or 4 dozen will show up on my door step.

But most of the flies I use I just buy. It's easier for me. Most emergers I use are tied small. If I could remember their names I would give them to you.

I gave you two names. If I want to catch trout I use the Black one as my bottom fly. If I want to catch Whitefish I will use the red one as my bottom fly. Don't ask why, but it just works out that way.

I do have a good assortment of flies. Just can't remember what in the hell they are called.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I've found that 3x readers placed over the reading part of my trifocals help me manage. That and the dark background previously mentioned.
My problem is depth perception. I have a helluva time getting the tag end through the correct loop on improved clinch and blood knots.

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
Cool idea on getting the line through the hook eye.

Another part of the equation is getting the tip through the various parts of the improved clinch or Rapala loop. I find this helps, it extends with a hook that catches the line and easily pulls back through a loop:

Ty Rite the original senior knot tool

1623378467254.png

Reactions: Zak

molefarm

I am 78 years old, and my eyesight is not the best, especially when I am trying to get a 4X tippet through a hook eye or a tippet ring. I realize it's almost invisible in the water, but I find it very hard to see when putting the tag end into a hook eye or tippet ring, and tying the knot is another issue... Anybody have any suggestions? I tried marking the tag end with a black marker, but that didn't help much...

Looking forward to your suggestions, I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem.

The Knot Needle is great for this!

dennisoft

Something else to consider would be to tie up some rigs before you leave home so that you can work at a table and with good lighting.

I'd probably just tie a handful of my favorite patterns up with ~18"-24" of tippet material and add a loop at the end for a loop-to-loop connection to the leader. Rigs could go on a tackle buddy or something similar:

tackle_buddy.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts