SFR: Camper brothers and sisters, I need help

Swimmy

My camper game if pretty dialed. Except for food. I'm horrible at food. So want to mix up camper cooking and looking for ideas. Here's what I'm working with:

4 burner range
gas oven
gas grill
Blackstone griddle

Right now I have a few go-to's

Steak with sweet potato fries
Chicken Fajitas
Ground beef Tacos

I need to fill up a weeks worth of cooking for my next bender. Any favorites?

@creekx
@jasmillo
@Freestone

Help a brotha out!
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

jasmillo

Premium
I don’t put a ton into cooking when I use my trailer. We tend to keep it pretty simple. Partly because it’s lot to lug along and partly because I hate cooking inside the trailer (smells linger forever). We also try to keep the meal/ cleanup time to a minimum. We usually have fun things to do after we eat (fishing, beach walk, sit by the fire, etc.) so having to clean up a huge mess is annoying. I cook nearly everything outside on a little Weber Q 2200 which is
doable with only two people.

Chicken/fish fajitas w/ chips and guacomole
Chicken/salmon Caesar salads
Chicken/fish w grilled corn or asparagus
Turkey/veggie burgers w/ chips
Bagels w/ cream cheese
Turkey/tuna sandwiches
Oatmeal
Eggs and toast
Pre-made Muffins
Lots of good coffee!
Maybe a couple of bottles of wine and some decent beer ;).

My wife is also a pescatarian so no steaks, bacon, sausage, etc.. which limits what we cook.

In the end, everything taste better when eaten outside. Especially in a lot of the places you camp. Can’t beat that ambiance!

O. clarki

Frozen left over lasagna from home reheated in microwave.
Too busy fishing no time to cook.:)
My camper game if pretty dialed. Except for food. I'm horrible at food. So want to mix up camper cooking and looking for ideas. Here's what I'm working with:

4 burner range
gas oven
gas grill
Blackstone griddle

Chicken Fajitas
Ground beef Tacos

@creekx
@jasmillo
@Freestone

Help a brotha out!
L8VPdFIT_o.gif
Change up yer fajita game with flank steak! It needs to marinate a long time to tenderize. In the AM, I put it in a ziplock with with lots of quality red or green salsa. Seal it and in the frig all day. Then slice up onions, peppers, etc. Grill it to rare. Good eats.

Speyrod GB

You need an instant pot. I have the mini 3qt. Cornish game hen takes less than 1/2 hour. You can also cook spaghetti and beef stroganoff in the IP.

Sausage and peppers on the Blackstone. Carne asada on the grill might be good as well.

Squamishpoacher

Cook as much as you can outside on the gas grill. Tinfoil is your friend. Any root vegetable can be cooked in it. A limiting factor in camper life is water. The fewer dishes to wash the better. Paper plates and paper towels are also a necessity.

creekx

Director of Stoke

4 burner range
gas oven
gas grill
Blackstone griddle

Chicken Fajitas
Ground beef Tacos

@creekx
@jasmillo
@Freestone

Help a brotha out!
L8VPdFIT_o.gif
I am flattered, but like you I am usually not the food prep guy. However, I am often the menu and procurement guy. Here are some things we've dialed in over the years:

Like others have said, we do 90% of our cooking outside. The tabletop weber propane grill is a mainstay. We also use a simple propane burner and cast iron skillet. Steaks and burgers are just better on a skillet.

Breakfast:
We love breakfast burritos. Easy, delicious, and you can make them up as you go. Throw eggs, sausage, pre-sliced or frozen veggies (onion, hash browns, pepper, etc.) or whatever you like into a cast iron skillet, fold in some cheese and you are set.

Lunches:
Lunches are usually not productions because we are usually in the boat or on a trail, etc. Boat lunches are usually lunchmeat sammies.
BBQ brisket or pork (either home made or from a local BBQ place) and buns for a different lunch or even quick dinner. Can be good cold too.

Dinners:
Usually one steak dinner, rib-eyes cooked on a hot CI skillet.
I often pre-make a pasta dish like sausage, peppers and penne, and put in ziplocks for two meals. Penne is good because it doesn't turn to mush while stirring/reheating.
Pre-packaged caesar salad in a bag goes well with steaks and pasta.
Chili dogs. These always sound good, taste great and lead to regret. But we do it anyway.
Fajitas as you mention are always a good option.

Sportsman

Change up yer fajita game with flank steak! It needs to marinate a long time to tenderize. In the AM, I put it in a ziplock with with lots of quality red or green salsa. Seal it and in the frig all day. Then slice up onions, peppers, etc. Grill it to rare. Good eats.
Make sure the butcher tenderizes the flank steaks. "Kalbi" is my go to marinate (24 hours). As stated above, rare is the key. So good everyone forgets about the side dishes.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts