Boats Rod Stop

Boats, rafts, float tubes, etc

Slimbeaux

F81C207A-C892-4C2E-955B-F739EC8F85AA.jpeg 86050D83-0185-44D7-871F-72B1265C829D.jpeg Love to drag a fly around while checking out the scenery. Lay my rod across my knee, put the rod against the stop and it doesn’t slide off the pontoon when the strike comes. Don’t catch many fish this way but what the heck. Don’t catch many fish anyway.

Matt B

WFF Premium
View attachment 284285 View attachment 284286 Love to drag a fly around while checking out the scenery. Lay my rod across my knee, put the rod against the stop and it doesn’t slide off the pontoon when the strike comes. Don’t catch many fish this way but what the heck. Don’t catch many fish anyway.
I don’t quite understand. Can you lay your rod and reel how you will when trolling and take a pic? If those are your foot pegs, it seems too far away so I must be missing something.

bakerite

I'll sometimes drag a fly while rowing, but set rods in pockets on side bags. Rod heading straight back with velcro strap over it. Have to grab fast to hook fish. Would like to see pictures with rod too. Usually catch more fish on the retrieve than while trolling, so will cast, let sink, move 50 feet or so, then retrieve, and will stop and cast if I find a concentration of fish.

Slimbeaux

I don’t quite understand. Can you lay your rod and reel how you will when trolling and take a pic? If those are your foot pegs, it seems too far away so I must be missing something.
I took this pic with the boat on the trailer because I forgot to take the pic with it in use. The reel end sits towards me right by the right knee. the tip goes in front of my left knee and lays against the stop. If you really want I can take a pic with it in use tomorrow. I am heading up to a little lake by me just below snow line. Hoping the fish are on the bite with the snow just coming off.

Slimbeaux

I'll sometimes drag a fly while rowing, but set rods in pockets on side bags. Rod heading straight back with velcro strap over it. Have to grab fast to hook fish. Would like to see pictures with rod too. Usually catch more fish on the retrieve than while trolling, so will cast, let sink, move 50 feet or so, then retrieve, and will stop and cast if I find a concentration of fish.
I could do that also but I feel with the rod perpendicular to the fly line if I get a strike, which is rare, the rod will be able to flex a bit and give me that extra moment to get the rod and set the hook. I think I will try the row and retrieve bit. Sounds like if might give me some measure of success. Good searching strategy.

Matt B

WFF Premium
I could do that also but I feel with the rod perpendicular to the fly line if I get a strike, which is rare, the rod will be able to flex a bit and give me that extra moment to get the rod and set the hook. I think I will try the row and retrieve bit. Sounds like if might give me some measure of success. Good searching strategy.
Yeah I still don’t quite get it. The tip goes by the stop? That’s different. When I troll flies on a fly rod the rod points close to straight back. I prefer to hold it and then if reacting will help, I’m ready. But I think they mostly have to hook themselves on the troll.

Buzzy

Yeah I still don’t quite get it. The tip goes by the stop? That’s different. When I troll flies on a fly rod the rod points close to straight back. I prefer to hold it and then if reacting will help, I’m ready. But I think they mostly have to hook themselves on the troll.
I think the type of "boat" sometimes dictates how a person trolls a fly and orients his fly rod. I rarely used oars to troll when I had my 8' pontoon, I just kicked harder and that allowed me to hold the rod. You don't miss many takes with the fly rod in your hand. Same with my float tube. I fish from a pram most of the time now and to troll I have to row (I don't have an electric motor (yet??) so I lay my rod grip on the boat seat cross member with the reel hanging behind the seat (I have a "V" softener on the transom to hold the rod in place from sideways motion but the rod is pointing straight out the stern. I miss quite a few strikes this way. Fortunately, I haven't lost a rod even with some hard strikes. When I have my Hewes on the water and decide to troll I have rod holders on the gunnels and the rods are swept forward from the stern maybe 30 degrees (?) or so.

I still prefer being anchored and bobber fishing but sometimes that just doesn't work.

Matt B

WFF Premium
I think the type of "boat" sometimes dictates how a person trolls a fly and orients his fly rod. I rarely used oars to troll when I had my 8' pontoon, I just kicked harder and that allowed me to hold the rod. You don't miss many takes with the fly rod in your hand. Same with my float tube. I fish from a pram most of the time now and to troll I have to row (I don't have an electric motor (yet??) so I lay my rod grip on the boat seat cross member with the reel hanging behind the seat (I have a "V" softener on the transom to hold the rod in place from sideways motion but the rod is pointing straight out the stern. I miss quite a few strikes this way. Fortunately, I haven't lost a rod even with some hard strikes. When I have my Hewes on the water and decide to troll I have rod holders on the gunnels and the rods are swept forward from the stern maybe 30 degrees (?) or so.

I still prefer being anchored and bobber fishing but sometimes that just doesn't work.
That all makes sense. And I’m with you there on the last sentence too.

From his pontoon I figured he was trolling with flipper power, in which case, why not hold the rod? But when rowing, yeah, that’s obviously a different ballgame.

Buzzy

That all makes sense. And I’m with you there on the last sentence too.

From his pontoon I figured he was trolling with flipper power, in which case, why not hold the rod? But when rowing, yeah, that’s obviously a different ballgame.
Thread drift OP, sorry. Yesterday was one of those classic days when the bobber (oops, indcator) just wouldn't indicate, bury, twitch, wiggle, tip, move.......... anchored up with the 2-pole thing going the count down and strip wasn't working either. I burned through a foot and half of tippet changing flies (on both rods). Finally two guys seemed to break the code: pull up the anchors, let the wind drift the boat and cast your full sinker up wind, let it sink as far as it could given the drift speed and slowly strip in (slowly?). To set up the drift I rowed upwind - as fast as I could get the pram to go. Way faster than you'd expect strikes but I had two hard strikes. Odd! Weird. Of course I missed both fish. I wonder if I had a proper rod holder that would allow the reel to rotate if perhaps I might have hooked one of the two fish?

Slimbeaux

I must be doing something wrong because I can’t move my boat with my flippers. Rarely use them except to stay oriented in the wind. But that’s another thread. Here are pics of stop in use. I know it looks like the rod resting on my foot but it’s not. Did that for a while but leg started cramping after a while B53ABE3D-9993-4818-8CCE-20B5D7AA448C.jpeg 66912A0C-595B-4E91-93D4-EA12F610822A.jpeg 2046B120-B573-4ECB-B069-7C2FE0A9FF51.jpeg 55A3B285-6477-4CE9-A68A-BFFD944A05AE.jpeg

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I must be doing something wrong because I can’t move my boat with my flippers. Rarely use them except to stay oriented in the wind. But that’s another thread. Here are pics of stop in use. I know it looks like the rod resting on my foot but it’s not. Did that for a while but leg started cramping after a while View attachment 284786 View attachment 284787 View attachment 284788 View attachment 284789

Any reason you don’t wear fins while fishing from your toon?
Interesting rod angle.
SF

Slimbeaux

I like to anchor too. But sometimes I want to row around and look at country. Dragging a fly makes me at least feel like I am still fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info