Rod Stop

Buzzy

That is odd.
How big is your pontoon and what fins did you try?
SF
I don't mean to be rude to the OP but I wondered if perhaps the boat seat sits high above the water so he doesn't get much of his lower legs submerged or............. short legs with the same result. A friend of mine had that issue (uh, shorter legs and a boat seat higher above the water than it should have been for his stature) so he didn't cover much distance kicking (kicking and screaming, yes but pontoon kicking not so much).

Slimbeaux

I don't mean to be rude to the OP but I wondered if perhaps the boat seat sits high above the water so he doesn't get much of his lower legs submerged or............. short legs with the same result. A friend of mine had that issue (uh, shorter legs and a boat seat higher above the water than it should have been for his stature) so he didn't cover much distance kicking (kicking and screaming, yes but pontoon kicking not so much).
Helping a person with a problem will never be rude to me and I truly appreciate the input. Being 6’2” my legs are plenty long but I do sit high. When I have my legs down I only get in about a little bit above the ankles. The Zoo Cougar, as I believe most Scadden boats, are river, white water designed hence the higher seat. I originally had a Creek Co and the seat did sit much lower. Didn’t have the fins then because I didn’t like the boat too much and knew I was getting a different one the second time I used it. It was a gift from someone who didn’t use it any more. I really don’t mind the rowing to drag a fly. But I do definitely understand the screaming; frustration was high.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I go back and forth between kicking and rowing. If it's windy, I row. If not, I kick.
That said, this is a pretty good solution for rod placement when rowing. BUT, I don't like that it puts your rod off to the side. I always try to keep my rod pointing straight back, that way when you do turn it doesn't speed up the fly as much as if the rod was off to the side - you're at a pretty sharp angle though, so probably NBD.

My buddy got one of the magnetic foam rod holder and attached it to the top of his pouch (can't remember how he attached it...). When he's rowing he puts the rod (just above the cork) into it and that puts the handle resting on top of his pouches and within quick reach and allows the rod to dangle straight off the back.

Either way, pretty cool solution you've got going on there. I like it.

1623358422543.png

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
8’ Scadden Zoo Cougar. I have the Classic Accessory ones. Same people that make the Colorado pontoons. Amazon of course.

That isn’t much of your legs in the water based on your other reply. Most folks in toons have their legs in the water up to just below their knees.
Maybe some longer dive fins might work better for you if you are inclined to try fins again.
You can probably find a inexpensive used pair.
If you do try that and it works, consider getting a pair of dive booties and ditch the wading boots.
Good luck out there.
SF

cdnred

I'm thinking a better option would be to just use a float tube fly rod holder. Simply strap it around your float tube and your rod is secure even when you get a hit. Scotty Rod Mounts have many different versions for would suit you best. The rod holder snaps off the tube mount so it doesn't need to be mounted all the time to save from getting damaged or when folding up your float tube..

1623359706509.png

Slimbeaux

I go back and forth between kicking and rowing. If it's windy, I row. If not, I kick.
That said, this is a pretty good solution for rod placement when rowing. BUT, I don't like that it puts your rod off to the side. I always try to keep my rod pointing straight back, that way when you do turn it doesn't speed up the fly as much as if the rod was off to the side - you're at a pretty sharp angle though, so probably NBD.

My buddy got one of the magnetic foam rod holder and attached it to the top of his pouch (can't remember how he attached it...). When he's rowing he puts the rod (just above the cork) into it and that puts the handle resting on top of his pouches and within quick reach and allows the rod to dangle straight off the back.

Either way, pretty cool solution you've got going on there. I like it.

View attachment 284840
Those look they would do the trick. My thought is that with the rod out to the side when they strike the bending of the rod will give me a moments delay to snatch it up.

Slimbeaux

I'm thinking a better option would be to just use a float tube fly rod holder. Simply strap it around your float tube and your rod is secure even when you get a hit. Scotty Rod Mounts have many different versions for would suit you best. The rod holder snaps off the tube mount so it doesn't need to be mounted all the time to save from getting damaged or when folding up your float tube..

View attachment 284844

I thought about having a rod holder. I was worried about having it stuck up in the air and how to attach it. And how difficult it would be to get the rod out of the holder. This way all I have to do is just pick it up. Been successful for me in the past.

cdnred

I thought about having a rod holder. I was worried about having it stuck up in the air and how to attach it. And how difficult it would be to get the rod out of the holder. This way all I have to do is just pick it up. Been successful for me in the past.
It's merely a strap that goes around your float tube. Removing the rod from the holder isn't tough to deal with. This rod holder actually comes in 2 parts. One secures to the tube via a strap and the other is the rod holder. The rod holder has a longer pin on the bottom that fits into a geared hole on the part that's strapped down. When you're not planning to be use the rod holder portion, just remove and put it aside in a safe place elsewhere and you'll have a low profile. The tube strapped portion wouldn't be any higher then what you've been using now. Attaching it to the float tube is very easy peasy to do, a couple minutes. The best thing is that it would be near impossible to lose your rod should you get a good hit..

Haggis57

I thought about having a rod holder. I was worried about having it stuck up in the air and how to attach it.
Having the holder sticking up was my concern as well. Further to cdnred's suggestion, the fly rod hold can be installed to come out the side of the Scotty mount. This is the setup I current use on my Fish Cat Scout. With the configuration the reel hangs down and I don't even bother with the rubber strap.

201805 _1.jpg

Another option to keep the profile down is to use the Scotty rail mounts. On the Fish Cat Streamer XL I previously owned, I used a rail mount on one of the foot peg pipes to lower the profile of the rod holder. You can also see a different style Scotty rail mount in the background that I used to keep my Fishin Buddy mount low as well.

6 Rod Holder 1.JPG

Ken

Last edited:

Haggis57

Ken - makes me nervous thinking about a fish hitting hard on a short line (Scotty now has a rod holder like Berkley's...), no need for the strap.

Pat
I've never had an issue hooking up with larger trout with the Scout and the reel hanging vertically down. I use the holder on the Fish Cat Scout when I am trolling with the oars or kick fins. I have very limited experience hooking up while using it with my trolling motor - I usually hold the rod when motoring.

I included the picture of the framed Streamer XL setup more to show the flexibility of the Scotty rail mounts on framed boats. I was kind of nervous with that setup with reel hanging off the the side. I sold Streamer XL before I had any experience hooking a fish with the holder in that position. You're right, it probably would have been a rodeo without the retaining strap in that position.

Ken

Slimbeaux

Having the holder sticking up was my concern as well. Further to cdnred's suggestion, the fly rod hold can be installed to come out the side of the Scotty mount. This is the setup I current use on my Fish Cat Scout. With the configuration the reel hangs down and I don't even bother with the rubber strap.

View attachment 284865

Another option to keep the profile down is to use the Scotty rail mounts. On the Fish Cat Streamer XL I previously owned, I used a rail mount on one of the foot peg pipes to lower the profile of the rod holder. You can also see a different style Scotty rail mount in the background that I used to keep my Fishin Buddy mount low as well.

View attachment 284863

Ken
Never knew that Scotty had so many options. Those mounts are pretty cool. Plus I love to see how others have their boats set up. Thanks Ken.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts