Break ins on the Cedar

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Honestly, I'd rather have my cat converter stolen than windows smashed and stuff inside stolen. Having had both happen to me, I've made the following conclusions:
  1. Starting up the truck after the converter was stolen kicked so much ass. Yeah sure, I'm out $1,500, but listen to this puppy hum! It was like my little toyota tacoma grew up over night and became a Harley.
  2. It felt way less invasive knowing someone was under my truck taking stuff as opposed to sitting inside my vehicle going thru the glove box/center console/etc.
  3. The inconvenience of having no window (in Seattle) is way greater IMO than having a really fucking loud vehicle.
  4. If you do have your cat converter stolen, take a look to see what all they took. On Tacomas, it's pretty simple. They unbolt the front pipe from the manifold and cut one strap, entire exhaust assembly slides out. Problem is, in stop and go traffic the exhaust manifold empties out right under the cab and a considerable amount of fumes come right into the cab. Morning stop and go traffic on 405 got me feeling pretty nauseas. Yikes.
  5. I don't leave my garage door opener in the truck any more - even when parked in my driveway. In fact, my truck is pretty damn clean now so there's nothing worth grabbing. Doesn't mean they won't, but it's a start. My brother had his car smashed and grabbed in West Seattle, except the guy took the garage door opener and opened their garage door (while they were home asleep) and went inside their house and took shit from inside. While they were home. Scary.
  6. There is a right way and a wrong way to install a temporary plastic window. If you do it the wrong way, it will fly off - right around the freeway on ramp.

dustinchromers

Honestly, I'd rather have my cat converter stolen than windows smashed and stuff inside stolen. Having had both happen to me, I've made the following conclusions:
  1. Starting up the truck after the converter was stolen kicked so much ass. Yeah sure, I'm out $1,500, but listen to this puppy hum! It was like my little toyota tacoma grew up over night and became a Harley.
  2. It felt way less invasive knowing someone was under my truck taking stuff as opposed to sitting inside my vehicle going thru the glove box/center console/etc.
  3. The inconvenience of having no window (in Seattle) is way greater IMO than having a really fucking loud vehicle.
  4. If you do have your cat converter stolen, take a look to see what all they took. On Tacomas, it's pretty simple. They unbolt the front pipe from the manifold and cut one strap, entire exhaust assembly slides out. Problem is, in stop and go traffic the exhaust manifold empties out right under the cab and a considerable amount of fumes come right into the cab. Morning stop and go traffic on 405 got me feeling pretty nauseas. Yikes.
  5. I don't leave my garage door opener in the truck any more - even when parked in my driveway. In fact, my truck is pretty damn clean now so there's nothing worth grabbing. Doesn't mean they won't, but it's a start. My brother had his car smashed and grabbed in West Seattle, except the guy took the garage door opener and opened their garage door (while they were home asleep) and went inside their house and took shit from inside. While they were home. Scary.
  6. There is a right way and a wrong way to install a temporary plastic window. If you do it the wrong way, it will fly off - right around the freeway on ramp.

Pulling the cat off a motorcycle is a performance mod and gives you cooler running exhaust. And I agree with the sound part. Plenty of kids pay good money for that fast and furious "fart in a can" sound of raw unbridled four cylinder power. You're simply getting it for free via an unregistered mechanic. The least they could do is splice in some straight pipe before they leave. Of course for optimal performance a reflash of the ECU is needed. Getting an actual mechanic to do that is tough.

dustinchromers

Gotta be the highest bidder!

I'm a big believer in tipping. When I'm given average service I notice and tip the standard rate maybe even a bit more generously than socially normal. When I'm given exceptional service I make it known I notice with my wallet. That's a language anybody providing a service knows loud and clear. I generally try to kind of hide it or at a minimum not draw attention to it. I leave it under the bill or hand it off, say thank you, and exit before a count can be made. The above goes double in these Covid times with food service folks being hit so hard by restrictions ect. An industry like lot security would follow the same lines I imagine. People look after those that look after them. It's human and diligent efforts in work are an honour to reward sans fanfare.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I'm a big believer in tipping. When I'm given average service I notice and tip the standard rate maybe even a bit more generously than socially normal. When I'm given exceptional service I make it known I notice with my wallet. That's a language anybody providing a service knows loud and clear. I generally try to kind of hide it or at a minimum not draw attention to it. I leave it under the bill or hand it off, say thank you, and exit before a count can be made. The above goes double in these Covid times with food service folks being hit so hard by restrictions ect. An industry like lot security would follow the same lines I imagine. People look after those that look after them. It's human and diligent efforts in work are an honour to reward sans fanfare.
Could not agree more, well said.

Buzzy

Getting an actual mechanic to do that is tough.
Probably more of a crime to fill that missing section of exhaust (emission conversion) with just a section of straight pipe (WHOA now, not speaking of environmental consequence). It seems if we can't figure out a way to clamp down on recycle shops that pay these uselessscumsuckingbottomfeedingterdsorisitturds for stolen catalytic converters that a piece a straight pipe fills the bill. (Not that I'd ever do that but I did hear a rumor that an '88 Trooper II had a slight increase in power with the exhaust system sans cat converter.

WAS

Probably more of a crime to fill that missing section of exhaust (emission conversion) with just a section of straight pipe (WHOA now, not speaking of environmental consequence). It seems if we can't figure out a way to clamp down on recycle shops that pay these uselessscumsuckingbottomfeedingterdsorisitturds for stolen catalytic converters that a piece a straight pipe fills the bill. (Not that I'd ever do that but I did hear a rumor that an '88 Trooper II had a slight increase in power with the exhaust system sans cat converter.
Like I said, call or write your local Reps. No one is going to hear you unless a shit load of folks do the same. Bitching about it on a website is fruitless. AND, once the CAT is gone your in and out O2 sensors will detect that and click your check engine light on, after which your engine will run like crap until you fix it.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Like I said, call or write your local Reps. No one is going to hear you unless a shit load of folks do the same. Bitching about it on a website is fruitless. AND, once the CAT is gone your in and out O2 sensors will detect that and click your check engine light on, after which your engine will run like crap until you fix it.
How does an O2 sensor, upstream of a catalytic converter know that it is missing?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts