Break ins on the Cedar

dustinchromers

What? Car break ins are still happening along the Cedar? Who'd a thunk that could be happening in the "summer of love" area in KIng County?

I'm thinking of taking up hunting again, only not for deer or elk or birds. Been reading Tom Clancy novels and practicing my marksmanship. To heck with fishing for dink trout. Time for some bigger game. Got me a new Cabela's camo hunting blind. I can set it up in the woods around fishing access sites, sit inside, locked and loaded, reading another techno thriller in anticipation of action to come, with my backhoe operator on speed dial. No mother ever reported their tweaker offspring missing . . . , even in King County.

A city of would be victim sheep begets predators. Not all that different than an unprotected chicken coop.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Too discreet. Public hangings of repeat thieves are better for deterrents. I'd even be in for a reality show where you put them on an island with limited drug and food resources and they have to hack it out and screw each other over in an all out lord of the files scenario until in the end there can only be one. Then we say that guy won a prize and quietly dispatch of him by fitting weights around his ankles in an ever rising tide.
1623457369034.png

Grizzmill55

I’ve been able to avoid getting broken into so far, usually empty my truck before heading to the river. One time I parked in a parking lot and just as I had put my waders on and grabbed my rod to head to the river a beat up civic filled with trash with no windshield pulled in. I put the rod in the truck and left. I’m pretty sure I would of been replacing a window if I had showed up 5 minutes earlier.

It’s hard to enjoy the fishing when you’re always wondering what you’re going to find when you come back to your car.

Elliott5400

I’ve been able to avoid getting broken into so far, usually empty my truck before heading to the river. One time I parked in a parking lot and just as I had put my waders on and grabbed my rod to head to the river a beat up civic filled with trash with no windshield pulled in. I put the rod in the truck and left. I’m pretty sure I would of been replacing a window if I had showed up 5 minutes earlier.

It’s hard to enjoy the fishing when you’re always wondering what you’re going to find when you come back to your car.
Same here, never had problems parking at this river.

Had a similar experience. Had a sketchy beat up looking car roll up behind me as I was getting my gear ready. Dude kept awkwardly watching me the whole time. I just put my stuff back in my car and left. I drove by 10 minutes later and the car was gone.

CreekScrambler

Same here, never had problems parking at this river.

Had a similar experience. Had a sketchy beat up looking car roll up behind me as I was getting my gear ready. Dude kept awkwardly watching me the whole time. I just put my stuff back in my car and left. I drove by 10 minutes later and the car was gone.
That’s textbook casing behavior. I saw it all the time when I worked a shitty maintenance job deep in the hood: always a beat up shitbox full to the brim and slow-rolling the block.

Elliott5400

It's always a shame when us working citizens who like to unwind recreating outdoors have to pay the prices of folks who lead a less than fulfilling life.

Some people view them as "people just down on their luck" I however view them as menaces to society, a nuisance. Most of these people have been offered some type of help by programs and refuse to get clean or off the street.

And remember we live in a criminal catch & release society, just encourages their behavior further!

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Some people view them as "people just down on their luck" I however view them as menaces to society, a nuisance. Most of these people have been offered some type of help by programs and refuse to get clean or off the street.

Some people view them as people who were born into less fortunate circumstances and are trapped in a multi-generation cycle of poverty, abuse, crime, etc. All children are born innocent.

You can cure the problem or you can treat the symptoms (endlessly). I'd prefer the first option, but it requires consideration of how people ended up like this. It's generally a lot harder than just blaming them for how they turned out.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Some people view them as people who were born into less fortunate circumstances and are trapped in a multi-generation cycle of poverty, abuse, crime, etc. All children are born innocent.

You can cure the problem or you can treat the symptoms (endlessly). I'd prefer the first option, but it requires folks to actually think about how people ended up like this. It's a lot harder than just blaming them for how they turned out.
I think I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't agree that it's society's job to fix everyone who has this type of anti-social problem. Society's job is to protect itself, that is, to protect society, i.e., we civilized folks who subscribe to the rules of basic citizenship. Therefore, society owes the miscreants no more than to let them know that there will be consequences to uncivil behavior such as B&E, and that meeting it with lethal force is a reasonable means of ensuring that the criminal behavior will not be repeated. Those born into misfortune have choices, albeit different than those born into more fortunate circumstances. They can choose wisely, or not. It's on them, not society at large.

Lest it seem that I'm one cold-hearted SOB, let me claim that I'm a pacifist at heart. A pacifist with a screamingly huge justice ethic. Hence zero tolerance for those who violate other persons or their property. And this does not mean that I don't support social infrastructure that helps turn assholes into better people. I do. But ultimately it is an individual's responsibility to behave in a manner that makes it worthwhile having that individual in our society. And if they choose not to, then society is better off without them. My conscience easily lives with that.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I think I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't agree that it's society's job to fix everyone who has this type of anti-social problem.

I think you'll only see the problem get worse, with this type of mindset. This is consistent with how America has generally handled things and it clearly isn't working.

And this does not mean that I don't support social infrastructure that helps turn assholes into better people. I do.

Therein lies the rub. Such infrastructure is non-existent. Take it from someone who comes from a country that doesn't have any of these problems (among others). There is no safety net here. Many people are one mistake away from starting their own multi-generational cycle of misfortune.

To be clear, I don't advocate for the type of nonsense "solutions" that are being applied in Seattle. For example, paying someone in Ohio $250k per year to fix homelessness in Seattle. It's a fucking circus. I understand that this kind of garbage has turned many away from trying to solve the root causes.

HauntedByWaters

I agree that there needs to be more punishment for these crimes.

For example, last summer my entire neighborhood was robbed. Sheds, cars, homes, it all got robbed. We all knew which house the thief came from, because he is the classic junky kid who still lives at home in his 20s and is dumber than a doorknob. Police could make a map of the crimes and his house would be dead center. So by the end of summer the cops were looking for him, regularly driving through and he was on the run.

Police said this kid was way worse and more dangerous than we thought. He has threatened murder on someone with a gun pointed for example, so the cops told us to steer clear of him. I have a newborn baby and live across the street...

So near early October the kid returns home. I’m working from home and look out my window and see tactical police units all over the hood. Sneaky through gardens, backyards, along fences, hiding in places. All of them are carrying large assault rifles and look very menacing. I take my baby imto the basement below ground before the bullets start flying. I hear a lot of screaming, and police dogs barking but no gun shots thank God. Kid is busted in the huge tactical maneuver and taken away in cuffs. Yaaaaaaaaay!!! Cops saved the day.

But no no no, not yay, because kid was back home 2 days later and has been home since and is still robbing my hood. He also picked up one of the biggest meanest pit bulls I have ever seen and it has tried to kill several dogs in the neighborhood when it roams. I can’t leave my baby outside for even a moment now without supervision.

That tactical police maneuver must have cost at least $20 grand, maybe more, and that kid was back home 2 days later. Something is horribly wrong with this country. You can’t raise kids telling them there are consequences, sweep in with 20 tactical cop operation, have the kid back home in under 48 hours, and expect that kid to have learned a thing other than what a bizarre and idiotic world we live in. There is too much talk and show nowadays about consequences with no real consequences.

I live in a nice neighborhood in Bellingham. This is no “hood”.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
There were a lot of lynchings for horse thievery by vigilantes, but legal executions for the offense were about as scarce as horse flies in December, as in it never happened.

The death penalty for horse theft wasn’t outlawed because it didn’t exist....there never was capital punishment for property crimes, although the railroads tried to get it installed in a couple states for train robbers, juries wouldn't convict when nobody was killed, and the laws were abandonded.

The fall off in extra judicial lynching by vigilantes of horse thieves coincided with the auto more likely, which we know never gets stolen.
:)

But it makes for a cool story, and an argument for some sort of vigilante justice meted out by dudes in waders and fishing poles.

;)

Last edited:

WAS

My son and his family visited this weekend. We got on the topic of floating the Yak and car looting. He said there have been multiple daytime CC thefts from cars parked at the Preston park and ride this spring. That's right there just off I90, in the open, with fairly heavy traffic during the day. The laws needs to be changed and upheld for these assholes. Write your reps and bitch.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts