Break ins on the Cedar

Buzzy

I agree that there needs to be more punishment for these crimes.

For example, last summer my entire neighborhood was robbed. Sheds, cars, homes, it all got robbed. We all knew which house the thief came from, because he is the classic junky kid who still lives at home in his 20s and is dumber than a doorknob. Police could make a map of the crimes and his house would be dead center. So by the end of summer the cops were looking for him, regularly driving through and he was on the run.

Police said this kid was way worse and more dangerous than we thought. He has threatened murder on someone with a gun pointed for example, so the cops told us to steer clear of him. I have a newborn baby and live across the street...

So near early October the kid returns home. I’m working from home and look out my window and see tactical police units all over the hood. Sneaky through gardens, backyards, along fences, hiding in places. All of them are carrying large assault rifles and look very menacing. I take my baby imto the basement below ground before the bullets start flying. I hear a lot of screaming, and police dogs barking but no gun shots thank God. Kid is busted in the huge tactical maneuver and taken away in cuffs. Yaaaaaaaaay!!! Cops saved the day.

But no no no, not yay, because kid was back home 2 days later and has been home since and is still robbing my hood. He also picked up one of the biggest meanest pit bulls I have ever seen and it has tried to kill several dogs in the neighborhood when it roams. I can’t leave my baby outside for even a moment now without supervision.

That tactical police maneuver must have cost at least $20 grand, maybe more, and that kid was back home 2 days later. Something is horribly wrong with this country. You can’t raise kids telling them there are consequences, sweep in with 20 tactical cop operation, have the kid back home in under 48 hours, and expect that kid to have learned a thing other than what a bizarre and idiotic world we live in. There is too much talk and show nowadays about consequences with no real consequences.

I live in a nice neighborhood in Bellingham. This is no “hood”.
Very sorry that your court system let this "kid" out thereby endangering your neighborhood and the people who live there. Here's a huge part of the problem: a broken system of justice. Justice? It should not have happened and it begs to have this problem person removed from society - permanently. Before he points a gun and pulls the trigger or that damn dog mauls someone.

Last edited:

HauntedByWaters

Very sorry that your court system let this "kid" out thereby endangering your neighborhood and the people who live there. Here's a huge part of the problem: a broken system of justice. Justice? It should not have happened and it begs to have this problem person removed from society - permanently. Before he points a gun and pulls the trigger or that damn dog mauls someone.

Thank you Buzzy!

You reminded me that I should add that this is a failing of the court system IMO. In my community, the police seem to do their job well.

CreekScrambler

I propose a middle ground of rare and lottery-based summary execution as opposed to lynch-o-rama or zero-consequence mayhem.

As in: Sorry kid, the random code generator says that you got the short straw. Can’t be helped. We typically let guys like you go, but a few have to get the big thump. Keeps the peace, y’know? Now, if you’ll turn to your left, please....

bearclaw_guajolote

I narrowly avoided a break in this week on my local river thanks to a the kindness of a new acquaintance.

In the morning at the take out ramp I ran into a friend and local guide who was going to be fishing the same section as we were but from a lower put in. He introduced me to a friend of his who was doing a turnaround shuttle for him. Turns out we knew some of the same people and had exchanged work emails. It's a small valley and everyone knows everyone. Both the guide and my fishing partners showed up so we wished each other well and went our separate ways.

My fishing partner and I made our way back up to the put in and began to get the raft in the river and our gear on it. I usually park up on the shoulder instead of down in the "hole" by the launch because it does have the occasional break in (though not enough that I was that worried to leave my truck and trailer on the shoulder).

Just as we're about to get underway I see a Subaru pull into the launch that I recognize from the gal who was doing a turnaround for the guide. She let me know that a tweaker had parked right next to my truck on the shoulder and was just waiting for us to float out of sight to break in. She graciously offered to follow me down to the take out and bring me back. I thanked her profusely and promised to give her cash for fuel and her trouble.

Sure enough as I walked up to my truck this toothless rat-faced tweaker in a beat up minivan was parked not twenty feet behind my rig, just waiting for us to float out of sight. It took every ounce of self control not to confront him A) out of fear for what I might do to him, and B) the unpredictability of a tweaker's reaction to confrontation. I very blatantly snapped a pic of his plates and proceeded with the turnaround. Super thankful for the kindness of another person to help me avoid returning to busted windows and stolen gear. She even offered to do future turnaround service for a reasonable fee.

Shared the plates with a local friend who's an officer and explained the situation. He was easily able to look the tweaker up and make a mental note to watch that area for him. Apparently this guy is a common offender in our little area for this kind of thing, and the LE appreciated knowing he was back in town.

TLDR: I narrowly avoid a vehicle break in thanks to the kindness of a decent person. If you plan to float the Methow, please PM me and I'll let you know what boat ramps to avoid, or put you in contact with a shuttle service.

dustinchromers

Some people view them as people who were born into less fortunate circumstances and are trapped in a multi-generation cycle of poverty, abuse, crime, etc. All children are born innocent.

You can cure the problem or you can treat the symptoms (endlessly). I'd prefer the first option, but it requires consideration of how people ended up like this. It's generally a lot harder than just blaming them for how they turned out.

Not my job or societies job to correct the behaviour of a degenerate. The rules are the same for everyone. The results may vary but the rules are the same. Not all addicts steal. I know plenty who are down on their luck, addicted, but will not compromise there morals to steal.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Some of us feel that the election was stolen, and that now it's time to take things into our own hands and rectify a great wrong that was done to our country by somebody somewhere...probably in the basement of a pizza place in Ukraine...or wherever.
;)
I'm sure you understand...the words vigilantes and justice really never belong in the same sentence, as the two are rarely on the same wavelength or seek the same outcomes.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Not my job or societies job to correct the behaviour of a degenerate. The rules are the same for everyone. The results may vary but the rules are the same. Not all addicts steal. I know plenty who are down on their luck, addicted, but will not compromise there morals to steal.

This is juvenile thinking. It might not be your/their job, but it is your/their problem.

What's your actual solution? Let taxes grow exponentially, with each generation that ends up incarcerated? The money for police and jails has to come from somewhere.

It is cheaper and more effective to fix problems at the source. This has been proven ad nauseam.

dustinchromers

This is juvenile thinking. It might not be your/their job, but it is your/their problem.

What's your actual solution? Let taxes grow exponentially, with each generation that ends up incarcerated? The money for police and jails has to come from somewhere.

It is cheaper and more effective to fix problems at the source. This has been proven ad nauseam.

Juvenile thinking is organising people into victim classes and making excuses for taking from others. Juvenile thinking is not providing appropriate consequence to action. Juvenile thinking is making your problem someone else's. Juvenile thinking is shirking accountability. You can train a rabbit. You can train a human. A society that does not enforce its most basic laws begets lawlessness. In your world of hugs and unicorns this all goes unchecked and positively reinforced by either a lack of response or a positive one. Unchecked behaviour amplifies in frequency and magnitude. We have too many laws and don't enforce the obvious ones that separate a civilized society from chaos. More laws isn't the answer. More taxes aren't the answer. More jails aren't the answer. Providing avenues for treatment ect is something I'm all for but a person has to want it. Allowing citizens to protect themselves and property is also something I'm all for. You and I won't agree and that's fine as I mean no disrespect to you or you viewpoint. My solutions are harsh, simple, and ideally immediate. There are flat out bad people. I've known them. There is zero redeemable about them. They take and take and take until someone stops them and it's generally not the law. Bottom line is I don't care about your addiction, poverty, or upbringing if you are stealing from or violating others. In fact I could care less if you do drugs. It should be completely legal and available to poison yourself. I have no judgement there. The moment you decide to steal or violate me you made the choice to do so and that forfeits your right to go peacefully about your business. You can train any animal with behavioural conditioning. Humans are no different and consequences can be rendered pretty cheap. Ever been robbed? Had a gun shoved in your face? Ever found someone in your home? My guess is you would likely evolve your view beyond "it's just stuff and replaceable".

Last edited:

dustinchromers

I propose a middle ground of rare and lottery-based summary execution as opposed to lynch-o-rama or zero-consequence mayhem.

As in: Sorry kid, the random code generator says that you got the short straw. Can’t be helped. We typically let guys like you go, but a few have to get the big thump. Keeps the peace, y’know? Now, if you’ll turn to your left, please....

Ironically random reinforcement schedules produce the most robust and engrained behavioural modifications. Hence why gambling is so addictive for some.

Elliott5400

I think we found our future Cedar river social worker

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
the words vigilantes and justice really never belong in the same sentence, as the two are rarely on the same wavelength or seek the same outcomes.
You're partly right. It should never require vigilante action to achieve what civil law and LE should do in the first place. I know you're liberal, but I didn't think you're at the bleeding heart end of liberalism. Actions have consequences. Presently, B&E has the consequence of positive reward with seldom any LE interference. That is why I think we as a society owe it to ourselves to legalize protection of self and property, with lethal force if that is what it takes to achieve the desired outcome. Then it would not be vigilante action. And lethal force is what it takes, since the B&E tweakers won't ever stop their B&E behavior. Like Dustin, I completely favor legalized drugs and the right to destroy oneself. But visiting that action on another by assault or B&E a car crosses the line. It's not civil. Allowing the lethal removal of B&E perps serves society's best interests by removing uncivil members. I think one shot, calling the back hoe, and filling out a one-page form should satisfy administrative and social interests.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts