Tiger Muskie

N. Metz

Hey everybody.

I was hoping you could lend me your experience concerning tiger muskies. Where do you tend to find them?

I've been trying for muskies and more specifically tigers recently. I caught my first tiger yesterday (a small one) in about 15 feet of water. I was adjacent to a small island of tullies that is surrounded by 12ish feet of water on one side and a steep drop from 6 to 20 and then a gradual drop from 20 to 30 on the other side. Fly was down about 8 feet and I fishing the steep drop.

Is that a typical spot you find em in? I just figured "that spot looks fishy as hell" when looking at the depth chart and fished it.

I have a lot of experience with pike and a few "tiger experts" I've talked to have said they behave similarly to pike. Usually, once the water hits the high 50s the bigger pike are down deep. Does that seem to hold true for tigers?

Any other wisdom you got?

Thanks,

Nick

dustinchromers

Are you fishing in Washington? If so what lake? Pm if you wish but there is a limited and listed number of lakes that have them.

In general musky are associated with structure and are in structure or adjacent. They are found mostly in places they can set up a good ambush. Structure can be the following: rocky reefs, edges on drop offs, weed beds, downed wood, rises in bottom topography, docks or other man made items, and the often overlooked floating log or tree adrift in the lake. They are normally not in deep water or at least not accessible to the average fly rig. I find 75% of my fish around the edges of the lake in water I can see the bottom in. Mileage may vary based on specific bodies of water but the above is a good general rule of thumb.

N. Metz

I should have mentioned that I am in Minnesota. We have 11 lakes with tigers here, most are around 200 or 300 acres. I wish they would stock more lakes with muskie/tiger muskies. Over 10,000 lakes in the state and only 100 with pure strain and 11 with tigers. Wisconsin's got 700 lakes with muskie.

The water gets hot here in the summer; it's 75 right now and will climb into the 80s as the summer goes on.

EDIT: I just looked at the Washington lakes with tigers and holy shit man, those are some big lakes they put em in. Largest with tiger in MN is 800 acres.

EmergingFisher

What area of MN are you in? There are tigers in big waters near the cities (Minnetonka, White Bear Lake, and Forest Lake off the top of my head).

Spent summers at Forest Lake for 25 years growing up - never targeted northerns or muskies specifically but caught quite a few northerns and saw some big tigers come out of there. So, sorry I don’t really have advice for catching them but they may be in more lakes.

N. Metz

What area of MN are you in? There are tigers in big waters near the cities (Minnetonka, White Bear Lake, and Forest Lake off the top of my head).

Spent summers at Forest Lake for 25 years growing up - never targeted northerns or muskies specifically but caught quite a few northerns and saw some big tigers come out of there. So, sorry I don’t really have advice for catching them but they may be in more lakes.

I'm in St. Paul. White bear and Forest aren't stocked with em but I've heard that they occur naturally, on a regular basis in some lakes. Catching a natural tiger would be so cool man. There's a few lakes in Wisconsin that apparently have fishable populations of natural tigers but I haven't fished them. Yet.

The water has shot up 15 degrees in the past week. Pretty much too hot to fish for em in the metro now. Gunna have to head north I guess.

EmergingFisher

I'm in St. Paul. White bear and Forest aren't stocked with em but I've heard that they occur naturally, on a regular basis in some lakes. Catching a natural tiger would be so cool man. There's a few lakes in Wisconsin that apparently have fishable populations of natural tigers but I haven't fished them. Yet.

The water has shot up 15 degrees in the past week. Pretty much too hot to fish for em in the metro now. Gunna have to head north I guess.
Good luck!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Dustin pretty much covered the general stuff. If you're after more specifics regarding the lakes you're targeting, I'd start with your local fly shop (preferably one that has a musky guy on staff). They may not tell you which rock to stand on, but they'll give you a better idea of additional things that we, not being from the area and not fishing those waters, simply can't give you. That said, if you know which lakes have them, follow the above advice, and you'll start to figure the rest out on your own. structure structure structure.

N. Metz

Mark; I was just there the other day getting some hooks and assorted tying doo dads. His wife and him are nice people and he's knowledgeable as hell about muskies. He has a replica of that fish hanging in the shop and its awesome. He's got the fly he caught it on too. All white with some pink highlights.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts