Trip Report Oregon High Mountain Lake

One of my favorite things is combining backpacking and fishing and this past weekend a buddy and I hiked into a lake up on Mt. Hood. We had been trying to get up there for the past couple weeks but the word was that there was still snow, so we delayed and delayed (it's at ~4,500'). Well, after all the heat, we were convinced that it was clear so we headed out for a quick one nighter on Saturday.

It's about 4.5 miles in and the last 1.5 miles was either entirely on snow and on and off every 15 feet. It took a lot of way finding as we lost the trail multiple times and there wasn't really any tracks to follow. It was dry until we got to camp and then it just started pouring on us so we hunkered down to play some rummy, ate dinner and went to bed.

The goal was to fish, so after a night in the hammock, we bushwhacked to the side of the lake that has better casting lanes and gave it a go for an hour our so (by this time it was snowing pretty hard). The water was pretty frigid and nothing really wanted to play other than 1 I hooked and lost on a downed and stripped stimi). So it goes, still a great weekend.

Saturday night was pretty crazy, we definitely felt this, and it lead to some avalanches/rock slides in the vicinity https://katu.com/news/local/39-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-mt-hood-south-of-summit#:~:text=%E2%80%94%20An%20earthquake%20struck%20Mt.,2.6%20miles%20below%20sea%20level.

Everytime I fish a lake I always tell myself I want to practice my distance casting since I mostly fish Oregon rivers where I don't typically need a ton of distance on my cast. I have a relatively accurate cast in <30' range, but above that gets pretty wild. At some point, I'd like to pony up for a casting lesson, I feel like it'd be pretty beneficial.

Anyways, didn't take a ton of photos, but here they are.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg

Matt B

WFF Premium
Prime season in the high country takes forever to arrive, and is here so briefly. It can be hard to wait until it’s really ready. Way to give it a go and thanks for the report.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Great job. I tried to hike into Blue Lake off the Cispus River this time of year many moons ago and lost the trail in crusty snow. Every 3-5 steps I'd fall thru to my thighs. What misery!

I like your hammock setup. I've gotten pretty good at sleeping on the ground under a tarp because unlike a tent you can shape the ground under the tarp but am thinking of giving the hammock thing a try.

BTW, I think the Clackamas Fly Fishers is going to have a July casting event at Westmoreland. You can sigh up for updates on the website.

Lastly, here's the stocking schedule for the high lakes in that area. It will be interesting to see how the new cutthroat stocking does.

mcswny

Great job. I tried to hike into Blue Lake off the Cispus River this time of year many moons ago and lost the trail in crusty snow. Every 3-5 steps I'd fall thru to my thighs. What misery!

I like your hammock setup. I've gotten pretty good at sleeping on the ground under a tarp because unlike a tent you can shape the ground under the tarp but am thinking of giving the hammock thing a try.

BTW, I think the Clackamas Fly Fishers is going to have a July casting event at Westmoreland. You can sigh up for updates on the website.

Lastly, here's the stocking schedule for the high lakes in that area. It will be interesting to see how the new cutthroat stocking does.
Dave, you actually gave me this spot via Westfly a few years ago ;)

When I'm not with my family, I always prefer sleeping in the hammock. This is the first year I got an underquilt for it so I no longer have to shove a half inflated thermarest to insulate me. I also have a bug net for when the skeeters come out. In the end, its the same weight size as a tent but SO MUCH BETTER.

Oh! I think I might head down for the casting event, that sounds great. thanks for the tip.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts