I need some tying ideas

adamcu280

I need some ideas as I'm "Sheltering in Place" before a research cruise. Expecting a lot of time to kill I brought my vise and a ton of materials, many sourced from @Humbug's estate sale.

Most of the time I find myself tying and fishing stimulator, bugger, and Clouser variations but I'm not sure I need to tie 10,000 more of each.

Bonus points for using bead chain eyes, red or sliver beads, and slinky fibers.

Target waters are creeks, rivers, lakes, and light saltwater in NW WA.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I need some ideas as I'm "Sheltering in Place" before a research cruise. Expecting a lot of time to kill I brought my vise and a ton of materials, many sourced from @Humbug's estate sale.

Most of the time I find myself tying and fishing stimulator, bugger, and Clouser variations but I'm not sure I need to tie 10,000 more of each.

Bonus points for using bead chain eyes, red or sliver beads, and slinky fibers.

Target waters are creeks, rivers, lakes, and light saltwater in NW WA.
Have you scrolled through the "What's in My Vise" thread? There's lots of good ideas there, from old standards to unique creations.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Ferguson Green and Silver
Blair’s Baiter
Johnson’s Beach Fly
Butorac Flashy Lady
Lambuth Candlefish

Older patterns but they will still produce today.
SF

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
1) For lakes, I would tie a box dedicated to Callibaetis mayflies. It would include weighted and unweighted nymphs, emergers, cripples, duns, and spinners. Tie them dark for the wet side and lighter for the Basin lakes. For lakes, I would also tie a) damsel larvae and adults in different colors/shades, b) water boatman, c) ants for the those rare, but influential ant emergences.
2) For rivers and creeks, I would go through the hatch charts for the waters that you like to fish and tie specific patterns that imitate the major players. Include larval, emerger, and dry patterns in the appropriate sizes and colors for those waters. Throw some ants and terrestrials in the mix.
Steve

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
YES.
Got to meet Bruce Ferguson at a FFF tying event in Oregon. Got to thank him for devising our #1 fly for Kodiak silvers. As you would expect he was modest and gracious.

I first met Bruce I believe in either the late 60’s or early 70’s if I recall. He used to shop at a grocery store my uncle managed. Super nice guy.

Blair Alexander who developed Blair’s Baiter was another great guy. I always enjoyed visiting with him when he worked at Kaufmann’s.
SF

adamcu280

well lets see em!
The long ones are baitfish head Deceivers, Clousers, half-and-halfs, candlefish, fish mask flatwings.

The little boxes are comets of various shapes and sizes and some Delia Ghosts.
PXL_20210609_235147721.jpg

Bead head soft hackle nymphs, foam bodied stimulators, damsel variations, olive willy/bomber variations.
PXL_20210609_235154528.jpg

Whomever gets this hotel room after me is going to find all kinds of sparkle bits and feather fragments embedded in the carpet.

Not pictured: Telecaster and Wattplower bass guitar.

Edit: caught a handful of these monsters the day before I left home. :)

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts