New Vid: Solo - Reflections on fishing alone

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Been a while since I've put a new video, sometimes you just get creatively stuck. Back in February I took 3 days off and camped at KOA (which apparently is now owned by a bunch of anti-fishing texans) and just fished the Yak. It was a great weekend, but I fished solo for some of it and it's always hard to fish and film. I ended up with a bunch of random shots and managed to edit it into some rambling about fishing by ones self yet missing your fishing friends. Hope you enjoy it!

Touchet

Great video; I grew up in the area and caught my first trout on a fly rod just a little downstream. How do you like that Watermaster? Thinking about getting one for my new home waters.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Great video; I grew up in the area and caught my first trout on a fly rod just a little downstream. How do you like that Watermaster? Thinking about getting one for my new home waters.
I absolutely love the watermaster. I’ve had mine for around 15 years. It feels bullet proof, I’ve had only one puncture in 15 years. I love that i can just stand up mid river fish, then hop back in and keep going. I love that there is no frame so it’s easy to store and transport. I like that I’m out of the water but still low enough that I can walk it through shallows sitting down. I like the rear cargo area, plenty of room and don’t feel like gear is going to fall out (though I still tie everything down). It moves through the river very well, it feels like a sports car out there.

but it does have some downsides.
1. It’s expensive
2. If you are a big person the oars may be a little low for you, though part of that is probably the seat I have, which they don’t sell anymore
3. In a flat water race it’s not the fastest craft out there
4. The anchor system is so so. I only use the anchor system in lakes. Though I have the really old anchor system. They might have improved it.
5. Some boats like outcast have built in accessory mounting plates for rod holders etc. water master is very bare bones
If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Touchet

I absolutely love the watermaster. I’ve had mine for around 15 years. It feels bullet proof, I’ve had only one puncture in 15 years. I love that i can just stand up mid river fish, then hop back in and keep going. I love that there is no frame so it’s easy to store and transport. I like that I’m out of the water but still low enough that I can walk it through shallows sitting down. I like the rear cargo area, plenty of room and don’t feel like gear is going to fall out (though I still tie everything down). It moves through the river very well, it feels like a sports car out there.

but it does have some downsides.
1. It’s expensive
2. If you are a big person the oars may be a little low for you, though part of that is probably the seat I have, which they don’t sell anymore
3. In a flat water race it’s not the fastest craft out there
4. The anchor system is so so. I only use the anchor system in lakes. Though I have the really old anchor system. They might have improved it.
5. Some boats like outcast have built in accessory mounting plates for rod holders etc. water master is very bare bones
If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask!
Thanks for the very detailed answer. You have probably checked the last box for me, durability. I have only heard good things, but haven’t previously spoken to a long-term owner. Much appreciated.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Thanks for the very detailed answer. You have probably checked the last box for me, durability. I have only heard good things, but haven’t previously spoken to a long-term owner. Much appreciated.
I was lucky enough to inherit a second one from a friend of a friend, his is even older than mine, and it's still in great working condition. I do usually try and armor all it at the beginning or end of the season (watch out if you have wood floors not to get it on the floor and slip and fall). Also another note, I've been using the included foot pump for years (praying it doesn't break on me) but I recently used the kpumps that whitewater rafters use, OMG, get one of those, they are so much faster and feel bullet proof.

Very well done. Some beautiful feesh. I occasionally meet up with some fellow former West Flyers, but for the most part, I am solo, except for 3 pup companions.

cheers

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Nice video. I used to fish alone most of the time. Now I won't go alone. The "boss" won't allow it. :confused:
Yeah I find I try and dial it back a little when solo. I've had a few scares wading alone. That's the other thing about the watermaster, it really allows you to wade into places that I would never wade without it. You can wade into a spot that has no exit strategy and just get back in the boat and keep floating. Or spots where the bank is so steep and the water deep but you can just tuck into a back eddy and fish a little spot.

Old Man

A very Old Man
I'm 86 and I fish alone most of the time. But for longer trips to a river I will take somebody along to help with the driving. Driving 100 miles one way tends to make me tired easy.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Very well done Mark! Your filming and editing skills are quite impressive. Editing video is such a time consuming activity. Anyone can edit a short video, but editing it WELL is a whole different level. I'm envious of your skill for sure.
Wow thanks Nick I appreciate the compliment! I definetly lost a bit of steam on this one, shot it in Feb ... released in June. I find editing is the hardest when I haven't any idea of what the story/theme of the video is going to be. I try and find some sort of theme or story to tell, but sometimes I get back and I'm like "wow what do I do with this stuff". Then I find myself browsing the site where I get my music hoping to get inspired by some track. I'll spend nights just re-arranging clips to see if a story emerges. When I have done some pre-planning, then the editing goes so much quicker which isn't surprising :D.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts